I'm so mad

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Calmly help your son through contacting the professor before freaking out. They don’t just give Ds out of nowhere, it’s either a mistake that can be corrected or there’s else thing else going on that needs to be clarified. An 88/80 is a B. Have him contact about the C as well to see how he can improve it.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I’m thinking the grading scale is different for each of those classes. Lower grades in harder classes usually end up being higher letter grades. For example, a 68 in my statistics class would have been a D but a 68 in my algebra class would have been a F.

For the record, I don’t remember the exact scale for either class so my example should be taken purely as a reference not fact.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:16 pm Calmly help your son through contacting the professor before freaking out. They don’t just give Ds out of nowhere, it’s either a mistake that can be corrected or there’s else thing else going on that needs to be clarified. An 88/80 is a B. Have him contact about the C as well to see how he can improve it.
He contacted him but hasn't heard back yet.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:59 pm I’m thinking the grading scale is different for each of those classes. Lower grades in harder classes usually end up being higher letter grades. For example, a 68 in my statistics class would have been a D but a 68 in my algebra class would have been a F.

For the record, I don’t remember the exact scale for either class so my example should be taken purely as a reference not fact.
But in which class would a 86 be a c (it was a difficult class) and I'm estimating upper 80s in English be a d?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:38 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:16 pm Calmly help your son through contacting the professor before freaking out. They don’t just give Ds out of nowhere, it’s either a mistake that can be corrected or there’s else thing else going on that needs to be clarified. An 88/80 is a B. Have him contact about the C as well to see how he can improve it.
He contacted him but hasn't heard back yet.
Okay, so wait until you hear back before getting outraged. It honestly doesn’t look good for professors if their students get bad grades, there is likely a logical explanation, and if there isn’t you can go from there.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:40 pm
mater-three wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:59 pm I’m thinking the grading scale is different for each of those classes. Lower grades in harder classes usually end up being higher letter grades. For example, a 68 in my statistics class would have been a D but a 68 in my algebra class would have been a F.

But in which class would a 86 be a c (it was a difficult class) and I'm estimating upper 80s in English be a d?
Are you estimating based solely on his graded assignments or on overall posted performance? Assignments are a part of a grade, but often there’s also participation, general homework, etc that make up a grade. So hear out the professor and if they say “no, he got all 80+s and there are no other concerns”, you can take it up from there.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:23 pm

Are you estimating based solely on his graded assignments or on overall posted performance? Assignments are a part of a grade, but often there’s also participation, general homework, etc that make up a grade. So hear out the professor and if they say “no, he got all 80+s and there are no other concerns”, you can take it up from there.
The class in question is online without a live session so nothing as far as participation. I can see all of his assignments since it's all online.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don’t know. The grading scales are pretty complex - or at least mine were. I passed my statistics class (hardest class I took) with a C. My score was a 70 even. That would have been a D in my accounting classes. I think I’d check the syllabus first not because you’re wrong - but it should give you a working knowledge to confront (for lack of a better word) the professor.

If I can offer one more bit of advice though, do NOT go to the professor yourself. Let your son do it. So many of my professors made a point to say that they don’t take students who let their parents take care of these things seriously.

Support him. Help him figure out a plan. Listen - but let him do the actual dialog.

Not that you asked or planned on doing it. I just thought I’d throw that in there. Sorry.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:40 am

I don’t know. The grading scales are pretty complex - or at least mine were. I passed my statistics class (hardest class I took) with a C. My score was a 70 even. That would have been a D in my accounting classes. I think I’d check the syllabus first not because you’re wrong - but it should give you a working knowledge to confront (for lack of a better word) the professor.

If I can offer one more bit of advice though, do NOT go to the professor yourself. Let your son do it. So many of my professors made a point to say that they don’t take students who let their parents take care of these things seriously.

Support him. Help him figure out a plan. Listen - but let him do the actual dialog.

Not that you asked or planned on doing it. I just thought I’d throw that in there. Sorry.
I'm a huge believer in teaching my son to handle these things himself but thank you! I know someone who works there and I was shocked when she told me how many students still have mommy and daddy do everything for them even in their senior dyear!
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Is it a 7 point grading scale? That would explain the 86 being a C. Seven point would go like this:

A = 100-94
B = 93-87
C = 86-80
D = 79-73
7 percentage points for each grade vs the traditional 10 for each grade. I don't like a 7 point system, but I'm sure there are still those out there who use it.

As for the other stuff I don't know. Please be sure to share with us what kind of response your son gets because it all sounds really odd.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic