another day of not feeling unsafe because

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:15 pm
SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:40 am
SallyMae wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:35 am

Well who does?? But that is exactly what will happen if they try to be like your Jesus and sleep through the climate crisis without acting. The inequality crisis, too.

We can avert climate disaster, and make a really exciting world where everybody can afford daily life, where every town gets to flourish. It takes exactly one thing that should be in ever-abundant supply - cooperation.

Unfortunately, scarcity has the opposite effect on people. It makes them guard every resource jealously, cling to their cultural divides just for stability, as you have noted. That is what we need to change.

It's like the story of Jesus multiplying the loaves and fishes. I have heard it explained that this was not miraculous...when the multitude had gathered, it seemed like there wasn't enough food for everyone, because each family had their own hidden away. But when Jesus arrived, he implored on the families to cooperate instead of thinking only of themselves. So the families brought forth their food, and when it was all revealed they saw there was more than enough for everyone and leftovers besides.

Our job, yours and mine, and our generation, is to find some way to get people to cooperate instead of fighting, to bring forth instead of hoarding away. There IS far more than enough, enough to give everyone daily life, enough to afford to combat climate disaster. If people trust Jesus, their pastors should be telling them that Jesus wants cooperation. It's the only thing that will help, and anyway, isn't that what He's preaching?
That’s the thing…

They don’t buy it that climate change is spurred on by man. They just don’t…

However,

If you just put it to them like they’re caring for their community and making the land beautiful, they’ll do it.

( But that’s not the story people who read the Bible are going to read… It was considered a miracle because in the story it was one single kid that gave him five loaves of bread and two fish … Jesus fed thousands from that… they didn’t just cooperate that day and decide that was the miracle)
I'm assuming you're talking about white evangelicals you've spoken with because in general, white evangelicals are pretty evenly divided over whether the earth is getting warmer mostly due to human activity or mostly due to natural patterns (https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/20 ... te-change/). But regardless, is this belief theological or political? If it were theological, one would assume that Black Evangelicals would be similarly divided as they share the same theology but they aren't with the majority of Black Evangelicals believing (or unsure) that the earth is getting warmer mostly due to human activity. If it's political rather than theological (or scientific), do you think that minds could be changed?
Don’t speak for all but this is true from my experience. I don’t know a lot of Black people who don’t believe climate change isn’t a man made problem.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

SallyMae wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:35 am

Well who does?? But that is exactly what will happen if they try to be like your Jesus and sleep through the climate crisis without acting. The inequality crisis, too.

We can avert climate disaster, and make a really exciting world where everybody can afford daily life, where every town gets to flourish. It takes exactly one thing that should be in ever-abundant supply - cooperation.

Unfortunately, scarcity has the opposite effect on people. It makes them guard every resource jealously, cling to their cultural divides just for stability, as you have noted. That is what we need to change.

It's like the story of Jesus multiplying the loaves and fishes. I have heard it explained that this was not miraculous...when the multitude had gathered, it seemed like there wasn't enough food for everyone, because each family had their own hidden away. But when Jesus arrived, he implored on the families to cooperate instead of thinking only of themselves. So the families brought forth their food, and when it was all revealed they saw there was more than enough for everyone and leftovers besides.

Our job, yours and mine, and our generation, is to find some way to get people to cooperate instead of fighting, to bring forth instead of hoarding away. There IS far more than enough, enough to give everyone daily life, enough to afford to combat climate disaster. If people trust Jesus, their pastors should be telling them that Jesus wants cooperation. It's the only thing that will help, and anyway, isn't that what He's preaching?
That’s the thing…

However,

If you just put it to them like they’re caring for their community and making the land beautiful, they’ll do it.

( But that’s not the story people who read the Bible are going to read… It was considered a miracle because in the story it was one single kid that gave him five loaves of bread and two fish … Jesus fed thousands from that… they didn’t just cooperate that day and decide that was the miracle)
I'm assuming you're talking about white evangelicals you've spoken with because in general, white evangelicals are pretty evenly divided over whether the earth is getting warmer mostly due to human activity or mostly due to natural patterns (https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/20 ... te-change/). But regardless, is this belief theological or political? If it were theological, one would assume that Black Evangelicals would be similarly divided as they share the same theology but they aren't with the majority of Black Evangelicals believing (or unsure) that the earth is getting warmer mostly due to human activity. If it's political rather than theological (or scientific), do you think that minds could be changed?
I dont think there’s any point here to divide up the races and what all the different racial groups think as though it would be different when it comes to a Lutheran or Baptist belief…

Majority Christian voting population. That means everyone who is in the majority Christian voting population…regardless of denomination, race, or S*x… it’s a culture in and of itself.

I don’t think it would be as useful to try and change their minds about what is affecting climate change as it would be to try and get people onboard with keeping their town/community/waterways ect clean just because it’s nicer to live that way.

It might take another 50 years to change peoples minds on climate change, but you can get them to start environmental beautification projects today…
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:34 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:12 pm
SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:49 am

Being that there’s not a single point I’ve made that your arguments based on semantics have disproven… I think I’m doing alright.

The end happens, new beginning happens…
There’s still nothing new without the end of the old.
”Eschatology" refers to theology dealing with beliefs about the eschaton. To unpack "eschaton": Oxford says it is “the final event in the divine plan; the end of the world.” While that’s a fair definition, it falls short of being complete. The eschaton is what we believe the world is coming to. Christian perspectives differ on what exactly the eschaton looks like. But most viewpoints agree that the world ultimately terminates in some kind of perfected state. The world doesn’t end. Rather, its journey of transformation ends.

So to say that that the eschaton is about the end of world isn’t completely accurate from a Christian perspective. It’s more about the transformation or renewal of the world than it is about the obliteration of the world.

That sounds like a lot of talk about far off events. But what we believe about the eschaton actually holds serious implications for how we conduct our lives today.
https://www.umc.org/en/content/eschaton-and-eschatology

You’ve backtracked, changed wording and phrasing, and moved goalposts so many times in this thread. It’s hard to keep up with what your actual point is. So if you call that arguing semantics well, then whatever. However, there many denominations within Christianity that “the end” is not a major sticking point. Not that they don’t believe in the second coming of Jesus, but they don’t believe the earth/world will end. Something doesn’t have to end for it to be made new.
Lmao! You’re having trouble keeping up with what the point of this all was? Maybe that’s because you’ve been trying to argue with me about how millions of different Christians all around the world think about what the word “end” means…

This was about my opinion on how the majority Christian voting population in America that watches Fox News, Listens to Glen Beck and watches hallmark movies vote as a collective group, and why they are not acting on climate change.
So none of what you said applies to anyone outside of that specific demographic?
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

mommy_jules wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:54 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:12 pm

https://www.umc.org/en/content/eschaton-and-eschatology

You’ve backtracked, changed wording and phrasing, and moved goalposts so many times in this thread. It’s hard to keep up with what your actual point is. So if you call that arguing semantics well, then whatever. However, there many denominations within Christianity that “the end” is not a major sticking point. Not that they don’t believe in the second coming of Jesus, but they don’t believe the earth/world will end. Something doesn’t have to end for it to be made new.
Lmao! You’re having trouble keeping up with what the point of this all was? Maybe that’s because you’ve been trying to argue with me about how millions of different Christians all around the world think about what the word “end” means…

This was about my opinion on how the majority Christian voting population in America that watches Fox News, Listens to Glen Beck and watches hallmark movies vote as a collective group, and why they are not acting on climate change.
So none of what you said applies to anyone outside of that specific demographic?
Let’s catch up on what I’ve been saying this entire freaking post!

CDCA0544-C142-4B6C-848C-D218556ACA64.jpeg
E6B6B98D-99BD-42E0-A44B-E85ACCE46A7E.jpeg
6D1FD6D2-9859-45DA-8E2A-8081F6D320FE.jpeg
8362D554-883E-41C1-A908-55A55ACBB21A.jpeg
11F0F0CF-538F-4A13-865B-4AB1E68B4E37.jpeg

I’ve got three more screenshots to post but the attachments ran out of available memory! Lol I’ve said it that many times
Deleted User 1511

SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:08 pm

CDCA0544-C142-4B6C-848C-D218556ACA64.jpegE6B6B98D-99BD-42E0-A44B-E85ACCE46A7E.jpeg6D1FD6D2-9859-45DA-8E2A-8081F6D320FE.jpeg8362D554-883E-41C1-A908-55A55ACBB21A.jpeg11F0F0CF-538F-4A13-865B-4AB1E68B4E37.jpeg

I’ve got three more screenshots to post but the attachments ran out of available memory! Lol I’ve said it that many times
So you've been taking about the majority of Christians in your community in Arkansas, lol.
Deleted User 1511

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:34 pm

That’s the thing…

However,

Don’t speak for all but this is true from my experience. I don’t know a lot of Black people who don’t believe climate change isn’t a man made problem.
I don't either. I also don't know any farmers who don't believe in anthropogenic climate change.

IMO, it's easy to dismiss climate change as being naturally occurring if your community is not currently at risk from its affects.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:14 pm

CDCA0544-C142-4B6C-848C-D218556ACA64.jpegE6B6B98D-99BD-42E0-A44B-E85ACCE46A7E.jpeg6D1FD6D2-9859-45DA-8E2A-8081F6D320FE.jpeg8362D554-883E-41C1-A908-55A55ACBB21A.jpeg11F0F0CF-538F-4A13-865B-4AB1E68B4E37.jpeg

So you've been taking about the majority of Christians in your community in Arkansas, lol.
Do you know what this has boiled down to?

You attempting to deny that there even is a majority Christian voting population…

If you don’t believe this voting demographic exists, so be it… I’m not going to try changing your mind. Believe what you will.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:46 pm

That’s the thing…

However,

I dont think there’s any point here to divide up the races and what all the different racial groups think as though it would be different when it comes to a Lutheran or Baptist belief…
Culture has influence on religion, so it’s okay to point out the differences. That explains why I have never heard of some of this stuff.

She is right, there isn’t a large number of Black Christians who look at climate change as a religious thing that isn’t man made. Claiming otherwise is lumping us all under the white evangelical umbrella and looking at it from a white only perspective.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:26 pm
SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:46 pm

Culture has influence on religion, so it’s okay to point out the differences. That explains why I have never heard of some of this stuff.

She is right, there isn’t a large number of Black Christians who look at climate change as a religious thing that isn’t man made. Claiming otherwise is lumping us all under the white evangelical umbrella and looking at it from a white only perspective.
I never claimed otherwise. You made a claim, and I said I don’t think we should divide people by race.

I do not think every single issue needs to be divided up by race and I don’t believe that looking at Christian voters is either white-centric, nor is it evangelical-centric.

It is purely an assessment of votes that won vs votes that lost. You lose the ability to sway the crowd as a whole if you focus too small.

If you do, that’s fine, share whatever your opinion is. But it’s not an opinion I share.
Deleted User 1511

SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:21 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:14 pm

Do you know what this has boiled down to?

You attempting to deny that there even is a majority Christian voting population…

If you don’t believe this voting demographic exists, so be it… I’m not going to try changing your mind. Believe what you will.
I absolutely believe that there is a majority Christian voting population as the majority of those in the US are Christian. I just don't believe that you can categorically claim that Christians as a whole are of the same beliefs (like when it comes to climate change), same politics, same reasoning, and even same media viewing. If all Christians (65% of the population) believed the way you seem to think that they do, there would be no need for elections, lol.

What you keep describing are beliefs and politics of the majority (not all) southern white evangelical Christians and yes, they are a large voting block in the South but they are not the majority of Christians nationally. And even within that southern white evangelical Christian block, there are different beliefs, politics, reasoning, and media viewing. The Evangelical Left is a real thing. It also feels as if you are denying that Catholics, Mainline Protestants, Black Evangelicals, and Orthodox Christians are a part of the Christian community. I don't doubt that your conversations with Christians in Arkansas have been mainly with white, conservative, evangelicals and that is what has formed your perception I just feel that your perception is extremely narrow.
Locked Previous topicNext topic