Better than Nothing....or....Might as well not give anything?

Nopeville
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

We are doing a $10 Starbucks gift card and cookies for DD's teacher, so I think $10 is totally fine.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We just started break today and gift I received ranged from a $10 gift card to a $75 gift card. Along with the gift cards the same families gave a cookie jar, coffee mug, candle, and candies. I treasure it all, but my most favorite part of the gifts are the notes from my families.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:04 pm I gave ds's teachers a $10 gift card and he wrote each a nice little note on a Christmas card.

My sister thinks giving a $10 gift card is like giving nothing at all. She says it should have been at least 20, or 25....or not give anything at all.

Ds has 5 teachers this year and I definitely wasn't spending $100 plus. He also just had a holiday class party where I volunteered and brought about $40 worth of food.

Was it really that bad to only give 10???
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Were you insulted at the $10 cards?
Msprekteacher wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:53 pm We just started break today and gift I received ranged from a $10 gift card to a $75 gift card. Along with the gift cards the same families gave a cookie jar, coffee mug, candle, and candies. I treasure it all, but my most favorite part of the gifts are the notes from my families.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:04 pm I gave ds's teachers a $10 gift card and he wrote each a nice little note on a Christmas card.

My sister thinks giving a $10 gift card is like giving nothing at all. She says it should have been at least 20, or 25....or not give anything at all.

Ds has 5 teachers this year and I definitely wasn't spending $100 plus. He also just had a holiday class party where I volunteered and brought about $40 worth of food.

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Definitely better than nothing and plus, any teacher that scoffs at any gift, is rude and lacking social graces.

Truly, what kind of jerk would roll their eyes and refuse to appreciate and use $10, that would still be in the line of teaching??

I am sure they are grateful you thought of them.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thank you. The wrapper has a snowman on it, so it was more festive and Christmasy. :D

quote=SeekingPeace post_id=258272 time=1545250811 user_id=653]
I like the Hershey bar idea! :) "Sweet."
cellomom26 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:35 pm Your sister is an idiot. My son has 7 teachers and a bus driver, and they were so touched by his gift of a Hershey bar. A few of them said "You made my day!"

Tell your sister my story. She can argue all she wants, I'm guessing she likes doing this to generous people like you.
[/quote]
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Not at all! I honestly expected nothing from the family and was shocked to have a lovely note written inside the card.
MrsDavidB wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:56 pm Were you insulted at the $10 cards?
Msprekteacher wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:53 pm We just started break today and gift I received ranged from a $10 gift card to a $75 gift card. Along with the gift cards the same families gave a cookie jar, coffee mug, candle, and candies. I treasure it all, but my most favorite part of the gifts are the notes from my families.

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's more than I ever give a teacher. I'm not really into that- I couldn't afford it and when they got to middle school we'd be talking twelve teachers. So to me its fine.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

flowerfunleah wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:04 pm I was gonna do $10 but the only gift cards I could find at the store we were currently at were $15 and up so Dd's teacher got a $15 giftcard to Target.
We got Target ones too, but bought them at a target so I could pick the amount
Anonymous 4

Unread post

SeekingPeace wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:15 pm I think your gift was kind and generous. And I think your sister should keep her opinions to herself.
That's not exactly her strength lol. I don't really care if she approves or not, was just wondering what the internet thinks of my cheapness 😉
Anonymous 4

Unread post

CotterpinDoozer wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:30 pm I think that's plenty. We gift bigger to her main teacher (She's in first grade) and then smaller for the other teachers. We got her main teacher a broach (She collects them) and a 25 dollar gift card.

For her other teachers, we put together candy sleighs and a 5 dollar gift card.

I miss elementary school, where I actually get to know his teachers.
Locked Previous topicNext topic