Opinion...There won't be a coronavirus recovery unless we reopen schools now

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Mommamia wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:15 am
SoFloMom wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:33 pm
Mommamia wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:16 pm

Like what ? Since the CDC guidelines are so completely not feasible, what do you expect schools to come up with? Everyone needs to realize that you can't protect everyone from this virus.

Unless a child, teenager, young adult has an underlying health problem like immunosuppressed, lung problems, heart problems, etc., they pretty much skate through the virus with their parents thinking they just have a cold. It's just not that dangerous for this sector of the population.

I personally think (and I’ve seen this plan being floated around a lot) a hybrid online plus in person scheduling approach could work, if planned appropriately.
Having desks 6 ft apart and social distancing will NOT work in classrooms packed with over the classroom limit amounts of students. Instead of having 25-30 students in a classroom on a single day, students could alternate block days. Block A— reduced amount of students come to campus for in-person instruction, while Block B students complete that day’s instruction online. Those students then alternate.

Is that a perfect solution? No, not at all. But it would not be in the best interest of everyone for schools to “just go back to normal”.

It may not be “that dangerous” for the students, but what about the teachers? Do teachers that may be at higher risk not deserve a plan that considers their health needs too?
E-learning was a total failure in most school districts in this country since they closed schools down, especially in elementary and jr highs. Our kids have already lost nearly 1/2 year of education, they and we can't afford for them to lose any more. Some high schools have good programs, but most don't. Another CDC guideline to have the kids with one teacher all day. That won't work in jr high and high school. You can't have say an English teacher teaching not only English but math, science, literature, etc.

Do you have any idea how many janitorial people a school would have to employ to clean the desks, all surfaces, every door handle, every square inch of a class room or a bathroom every single day?

Like I said, you can't protect everyone. If a teacher or other school personnel has an underlying health issue, then they should ask for extended sick leave, or take a leave of absence until we have the necessary meds developed to successfully treat the virus or until there is a vaccine.

Why do you think the CDC said 'when feasible' after each guideline? It's because they know that most of those fine guidelines can't be accomplished in a regular school setting.

If you're that nervous about sending your children to school in the fall, then perhaps you should look into home schooling programs.
Distance learning was a pulled together Plan B solution that for most districts came together in a couple weeks. Of course there were going to be failures in some aspects. It has NEVER been done on such a large scale before. For my state, distance learning covered one marking quarter (9 weeks) so not a full half year but I do understand that different states have different school calendars.

Schools now have the summer to reassess by looking at data, feedback from parents, teachers, and students (I don’t know about you, but my district has been surveying all parents, students, and school staff on levels of comfort going back to school) and the unique needs of their demographics to figure out a plan for the 2020-2021 school year.

Like I said, I think a hybrid approach would be the best plan. Students that aren’t understanding the online instruction will benefit from their in-person class days. Yes, secondary teachers can not teach all subjects. Students in secondary schools would still go to their different subject periods, but with less students on campus on a single day. I know very well how much effort it will take to properly sanitize the school daily, but a reduced amount of students on campus would lessen the load way more than just allowing ALL students on campus in a vain attempt to get back to normal.

Teachers’ unions will fight tooth and nail for a plan that protects as many people as possible, as they should.

I am anxiously awaiting to hear the plan my district comes up with as it will personally impact me and my family. I just feel that fully opening the school doors would be imprudent.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Schools reopening are needed for an economic recovery, not a coronavirus recovery. That would be accomplished by adhering to social distancing rules, widespread testing and contract tracing. Those are the tools that will halt the spread of the virus.

The more we can halt the spread, the sooner we can reopen more businesses safely and return to in-person education.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

SoFloMom wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:47 am

I personally think (and I’ve seen this plan being floated around a lot) a hybrid online plus in person scheduling approach could work, if planned appropriately.
Having desks 6 ft apart and social distancing will NOT work in classrooms packed with over the classroom limit amounts of students. Instead of having 25-30 students in a classroom on a single day, students could alternate block days. Block A— reduced amount of students come to campus for in-person instruction, while Block B students complete that day’s instruction online. Those students then alternate.

Is that a perfect solution? No, not at all. But it would not be in the best interest of everyone for schools to “just go back to normal”.

It may not be “that dangerous” for the students, but what about the teachers? Do teachers that may be at higher risk not deserve a plan that considers their health needs too?
E-learning was a total failure in most school districts in this country since they closed schools down, especially in elementary and jr highs. Our kids have already lost nearly 1/2 year of education, they and we can't afford for them to lose any more. Some high schools have good programs, but most don't. Another CDC guideline to have the kids with one teacher all day. That won't work in jr high and high school. You can't have say an English teacher teaching not only English but math, science, literature, etc.

Do you have any idea how many janitorial people a school would have to employ to clean the desks, all surfaces, every door handle, every square inch of a class room or a bathroom every single day?

Like I said, you can't protect everyone. If a teacher or other school personnel has an underlying health issue, then they should ask for extended sick leave, or take a leave of absence until we have the necessary meds developed to successfully treat the virus or until there is a vaccine.

Why do you think the CDC said 'when feasible' after each guideline? It's because they know that most of those fine guidelines can't be accomplished in a regular school setting.

If you're that nervous about sending your children to school in the fall, then perhaps you should look into home schooling programs.
Distance learning was a pulled together Plan B solution that for most districts came together in a couple weeks. Of course there were going to be failures in some aspects. It has NEVER been done on such a large scale before. For my state, distance learning covered one marking quarter (9 weeks) so not a full half year but I do understand that different states have different school calendars.

Schools now have the summer to reassess by looking at data, feedback from parents, teachers, and students (I don’t know about you, but my district has been surveying all parents, students, and school staff on levels of comfort going back to school) and the unique needs of their demographics to figure out a plan for the 2020-2021 school year.

Like I said, I think a hybrid approach would be the best plan. Students that aren’t understanding the online instruction will benefit from their in-person class days. Yes, secondary teachers can not teach all subjects. Students in secondary schools would still go to their different subject periods, but with less students on campus on a single day. I know very well how much effort it will take to properly sanitize the school daily, but a reduced amount of students on campus would lessen the load way more than just allowing ALL students on campus in a vain attempt to get back to normal.

Teachers’ unions will fight tooth and nail for a plan that protects as many people as possible, as they should.

I am anxiously awaiting to hear the plan my district comes up with as it will personally impact me and my family. I just feel that fully opening the school doors would be imprudent.
My son's school is looking at a hybrid approach and I imagine if our state public schools open in the fall, this is what it's going to look like.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

WellPreserved wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:35 am

My son's school is looking at a hybrid approach and I imagine if our state public schools open in the fall, this is what it's going to look like.
Our superintendent has mentioned this idea but no decisions have been made yet.
Can I ask what grade your son will be in?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

SoFloMom wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:41 am
WellPreserved wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:35 am

Our superintendent has mentioned this idea but no decisions have been made yet.
Can I ask what grade your son will be in?
He'll be going into 10th grade. It's a bit easier to implement a hybrid program in high school than in elementary. My son has an IEP so I've been in communication with his case worker through the entire shut down. She is suggesting that he take core classes online and come to school for a study hall period (where he could get help in his core subjects) and electives. My impression is that they are working with each individual student (not just those who have an IEP) to come up with a workable schedule.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Since I don't have kids young enough to still be in school and neither do any of my neighbors or my friends, I don't know how e-learning went here in my town. I know the high school has had something set up for years where if we have a snow day or a cold day, the kids do have to go on line and do their assignments. But between my grandchildren (different district) and parents in yet other school districts, e-learning was just an exercise in keeping the kids busy. They didn't learn anything. In fact the schools had all been told several years ago by the state to have e-learning plans ready to go on the remote possibility something would cause the schools to be closed. Only 1 in 4 in the entire state had their e-plans which the state had approved.

Oh I think many big city teacher's unions will fight tooth and nail....... to get hazard pay, or some such nonsense. I can see teachers' strikes on the horizon.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

MonarchMom wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:54 am Schools reopening are needed for an economic recovery, not a coronavirus recovery. That would be accomplished by adhering to social distancing rules, widespread testing and contract tracing. Those are the tools that will halt the spread of the virus.

The more we can halt the spread, the sooner we can reopen more businesses safely and return to in-person education.
When will you face reality? There are areas in most states that have little or no COVID, so it would be a waste of time and money to test everyone. As for contact tracing? First it's just another scheme to create yet another monolithic Gov't bureaucracy just like when they created TSA. Tens of thousands of gov't employees who will still be getting paid on the taxpayers' dollars till they retire. Secondly, contact tracing only has some success in the beginning of a pandemic.....not 4, 5 or 6 months in.

"Testing and tracing is most feasible as an effective strategy at the start of an outbreak when there are just a few chains of transmission of the disease. But if this does not keep the epidemic under control, and there is widespread community transmission, there will quickly be many cases and contacts. This is especially the case with a disease such as COVID-19, which is easy to catch, is quickly passed on after an infection sets in, and can infect some people without producing symptoms.

Many people will be getting infected from unknown cases and a large proportion of the population would need to be isolated. Testing and tracing soon becomes an unmanageable strategy and a lock down to reduce physical contact then becomes a more efficient and effective means of controlling the epidemic. "

You can always be a sheeple and download one of those new apps
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Is anyone concerned at all about the hit that social development is going to take in these types of approaches, or is it just me?

I've always believed that school is really two pronged - there's the learning aspect then there's the equally important how to function in the world aspect.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Valentina327 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:12 pm Is anyone concerned at all about the hit that social development is going to take in these types of approaches, or is it just me?

I've always believed that school is really two pronged - there's the learning aspect then there's the equally important how to function in the world aspect.
It should be a two pronged aspect. However with parents and teachers rewarding anything and everything Johnny does, Johnny has no idea the real world, i.e., his employers, expect him to perform and do his job well. Otherwise he doesn't get that trophy.....a promotion and/or a raise.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Mommamia wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:07 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:54 am Schools reopening are needed for an economic recovery, not a coronavirus recovery. That would be accomplished by adhering to social distancing rules, widespread testing and contract tracing. Those are the tools that will halt the spread of the virus.

When will you face reality? There are areas in most states that have little or no COVID, so it would be a waste of time and money to test everyone. As for contact tracing? First it's just another scheme to create yet another monolithic Gov't bureaucracy just like when they created TSA. Tens of thousands of gov't employees who will still be getting paid on the taxpayers' dollars till they retire. Secondly, contact tracing only has some success in the beginning of a pandemic.....not 4, 5 or 6 months in.

"Testing and tracing is most feasible as an effective strategy at the start of an outbreak when there are just a few chains of transmission of the disease. But if this does not keep the epidemic under control, and there is widespread community transmission, there will quickly be many cases and contacts. This is especially the case with a disease such as COVID-19, which is easy to catch, is quickly passed on after an infection sets in, and can infect some people without producing symptoms.

Many people will be getting infected from unknown cases and a large proportion of the population would need to be isolated. Testing and tracing soon becomes an unmanageable strategy and a lock down to reduce physical contact then becomes a more efficient and effective means of controlling the epidemic. "

You can always be a sheeple and download one of those new apps
My daughter has applied to be a contact tracer in our state (Virginia). If she gets the job she would be considered a 1099 employee and be paid hourly by the state. She also understands that this is not a long term contract. The state is already paying her unemployment but she would rather be paid and be productive.

My county has gone from 0 cases of Covid-19 to 5 cases with 1hospitalization in just the last couple of weeks. The people that are vocally opposed to contact tracing on our community social media pages are demanding to know who those 5 people are! IMO testing and contact tracing is particularly important in areas which currently have low infection rates and especially as we discuss reopening our schools.

If I tested positive for Covid-19, I would want everyone I came into prolonged contact with to know they had potentially been exposed - wouldn't you?
Locked Previous topicNext topic