I had to cancel Thanksgiving

RedBottoms

Unread post

it sucks but its not really your fault either. Work comes before things like this. Your offer to give the food to someone else to host was a nice gesture
DeleteAccount
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I'm sorry. Reading your comments makes me feel like everyone else just wanted to put all of it off on you. Is there a reason they can't divide up the cooking and meet at your home other than they simply don't want to do it? I never understood people wondering where they will go for Thanksgiving, and them able bodied. People like this need to cook for their own families. It isn't your fault OP, and if it were me I would just cook for my husband, my kids and myself they next day all of you have off. Let everyone else fend for themselves.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

What if you were out of state or something? Then what would your workplace do? Unless you have a job where it's normal to be on call I'd start looking for another job. That's ridiculous and too hard to plan around them changing things on a whim. I might just say no and see what happens, lol. If I for sure didn't need the job anyway.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

famousglm714 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:13 pm What if you were out of state or something? Then what would your workplace do? Unless you have a job where it's normal to be on call I'd start looking for another job. That's ridiculous and too hard to plan around them changing things on a whim. I might just say no and see what happens, lol. If I for sure didn't need the job anyway.
I would still be expected to go in. It is in my contract that I have to go in if they need me. I am never officially "on call" like many of my coworkers.

I am not going to start looking for a new job because of this. I am contracted at my work and it is a good job. You cant always plan ahead for things like this the hospital does the best it can but it isnt like they can let the people who got fired work just because they dont want to call others in to cover
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I would have zero feelings of guilt. You offered to give them all the food, someone else would just have to cook. They refused, so they can suck it up and deal.
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Why is it a huge problem? The people will have to stay home and make their own meal. I don't get why people are crazed.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:00 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:57 pm Why not assign the cooking to everyone else and have them bring the food and have a late meal? Serve the meal on paper plates so there won't be a lot of clean up.
No one else is willing to cook and they wouldnt stay that late anyway
Well that sucks. So sounds like a bunch of moochers wanting a free meal instead of friends and family who want to come together to enjoy each other's company and a good meal. I'd stop hosting if I were you.
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It's not your fault. I'm just glad that my family would bring me plates of food if I asked.
i want candy!
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Life happens. If no one else is willing to pick up any of the slack, how can they possibly be upset with you?

You tried to accommodate, move the time and the days around. I think you should release yourself of this guilt.
sheramom4
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:17 pm
famousglm714 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:13 pm What if you were out of state or something? Then what would your workplace do? Unless you have a job where it's normal to be on call I'd start looking for another job. That's ridiculous and too hard to plan around them changing things on a whim. I might just say no and see what happens, lol. If I for sure didn't need the job anyway.
I would still be expected to go in. It is in my contract that I have to go in if they need me. I am never officially "on call" like many of my coworkers.

I am not going to start looking for a new job because of this. I am contracted at my work and it is a good job. You cant always plan ahead for things like this the hospital does the best it can but it isnt like they can let the people who got fired work just because they dont want to call others in to cover
So if you had already left and were out of state your job would expect you to put out the expense of a last minute plane ticket to come and work? That is ridiculous and not a good job.
Locked Previous topicNext topic