People with an IQ of 120 are rated as being the best leaders

madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I have a rather high IQ. One thing that I need to recognize is that not everyone is as intelligent. I need to be patient when trying to explain to people issues, instructions, etc.
I also need to realize that some people really do not have common sense and that it isn't their fault.
i want candy!
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:54 pm My sister is a know it all and has no friends. Shes annoying. She doesnt understand that life experience shapes how you learn things.

Example, if she reads in a book that the best way to cook a potato in the microwave is to cook it for 7 minutes, thats how she will cook it.

BUT, if life experience has told me cooking it 6 minutes on each side works too, she wont believe you. She will correct you and interject into every conversation you have about potatoes. She will look up every article she can find to read to you or send you to try and convince you that shes right.
I wonder to what extent the schooling system is responsible for teaching smart people to have that sort of approach? Them in particular because, if they are good at answering problems in the format teachers present to them, they will receive lots of positive reinforcement during that period of their life.
HaggardWitch
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Looking at the key points in this article, responses mostly revolve around smart people's inability (or refusal) to try and understand people. (Unfortunately, this stubborn attitude [of lacking understanding] is rampant these days.) Being in touch with people by having compassion for their feelings is considered feminine (read: inferior, irrational), so it's avoided; or, at least, encouraged to be avoided. These days, scientists are superstars and artists and religious folks are judged. No one questions scientists. Many people have a concrete belief that smart people aren't dangerous, even though history has proven they can be.
Reedusstalker

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:26 pm
Reedusstalker wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:54 pm My sister is a know it all and has no friends. Shes annoying. She doesnt understand that life experience shapes how you learn things.

Example, if she reads in a book that the best way to cook a potato in the microwave is to cook it for 7 minutes, thats how she will cook it.

BUT, if life experience has told me cooking it 6 minutes on each side works too, she wont believe you. She will correct you and interject into every conversation you have about potatoes. She will look up every article she can find to read to you or send you to try and convince you that shes right.
I wonder to what extent the schooling system is responsible for teaching smart people to have that sort of approach? Them in particular because, if they are good at answering problems in the format teachers present to them, they will receive lots of positive reinforcement during that period of their life.
My sister just thinks shes the shit because shes so smart. Because shes going to school for biomedical engineering and the rest of us are considered blue collar workers.

Sad thing is, i have a very satisfying life. I have friends, a husband, i have done things in my life, had fun. Im smart but because i didnt go to college for what she considered a real education, shes better than me. She is also jealous because i have lived my life and she spends her studying.
eyes4ears
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I have known some really smart people that are rude as f**k, or missing common sense.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

As I said on Mother Lounge, my guess is that people with extremely high IQ tend to lack social skills and emotional intelligence. They usually lack the very skills that attract people to follow them: charisma, sympathy, and empathy, for example.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Pinkiepie2010
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

I have no idea what my IQ is, but my DH is 140.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Mine is about 120. Don't know for sure, give or take a few points. It was tested like 15 years ago so I'm probably dumber than I was then. Lol
But yeah I can believe that. It's higher than average but not high enough to make you feel like you're being talked down too.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:58 pm
Aletheia wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:26 pm

My sister just thinks shes the shit because shes so smart. Because shes going to school for biomedical engineering and the rest of us are considered blue collar workers.

Sad thing is, i have a very satisfying life. I have friends, a husband, i have done things in my life, had fun. Im smart but because i didnt go to college for what she considered a real education, shes better than me. She is also jealous because i have lived my life and she spends her studying.
This is half way me too.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

HaggardWitch wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:48 pm Looking at the key points in this article, responses mostly revolve around smart people's inability (or refusal) to try and understand people. (Unfortunately, this stubborn attitude [of lacking understanding] is rampant these days.) Being in touch with people by having compassion for their feelings is considered feminine (read: inferior, irrational), so it's avoided; or, at least, encouraged to be avoided. These days, scientists are superstars and artists and religious folks are judged. No one questions scientists. Many people have a concrete belief that smart people aren't dangerous, even though history has proven they can be.
Scientists are strictly judged at least by their peers. And by us. Look at lay people discussing the validity of vaccines, climate change, mental illness medications, things I personally have no business judging because I don't have the knowledge. And if religious leaders aren't respected (although this pope seems very much so even by non Catholics and so is the Dalai Lami) it's their own fault for bringing judgment or false information to their followers. When it's obviously they've not cracked their holy book I'm not listening. You're generalizing..Stephen Hawkins and deGrasse Tyson may be superheroes to the lay people but they are exceptions. However I do agree all of us need to listen and empathize more with each other.
Locked Previous topicNext topic