Do you think being married for a long time is an achievement?

Guest 3

Unread post

To start off with I've been married for 10 years and counting and don't think it's an achievement or something to feel superior about. My sister has been married for 27 years her husband is mentally and emotionally abusive, she believes that divorce is not option at all under any circumstances. She hordes the fact that she's been married a long time over everyone and constantly brings up how proud of it she is. Do you see being married even if it's a bad marriage as something to be proud of?
RedBottoms

Unread post

Oh hi!

Yes its an achievement-that is why they have big silver and golden anniversary parties for people. Because they are celebrating that they were married 25 and 50 years which is a big deal. Especially in this day and age where people have starter marriages and multiple divorces and kids out of wedlock etc.
Maggie
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I do think it’s an achievement.
Justanotherperson
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Absolutely. Especially in this day and age where more and more people are not getting married. And the ones that do end up getting divorced. There are way more single and divorced people than married. Anybody that can get married once and stay married for years is pretty amazing and special and something to be proud of.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:34 pm Oh hi!

Yes its an achievement-that is why they have big silver and golden anniversary parties for people. Because they are celebrating that they were married 25 and 50 years which is a big deal. Especially in this day and age where people have starter marriages and multiple divorces and kids out of wedlock etc.
LOL as soon as I saw this post I knew it was in reference to what you said.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Maybe. But I just don't care what people do with their marriages. Stay together or get divorced over something stupid. Doesn't affect me.
Spunky
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I do. I think today marriage is a snap decision. It's no longer acceptable to believe in and hold true to the vows taken. Far too often people are quick to get divorced rather than facing the problem head on together as a married couple. The vows they took fall to the way side of selfishness and convenience because it's easier to just walk away. People have become lazy and unwilling to have compassion and understanding. I do believe being married for years is a big deal. It takes alot of love, understanding,hard work, forgiveness and compromise to make a marriage successful. I've been with my DH since 1991 and married for 16 yrs. I'm proud of that!
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Being married to me for a long time is an achievement because I'm crazy lol.

But in general yes. It takes a lot to make a marriage work which some people just aren't willing to do even in cases of no abuse, etc.

Unread post

Not really. Most of the people that stay married forever just do it out of obligation and convenience.
scemily526
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Being able to stay married with someone THAT long without killing them IS an achievement.....Lolololol
Locked Previous topicNext topic