The outbreak of acute flaccid myelitis, the polio-like illness affecting kids: what we know

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 473

Unread post

The outbreak of acute flaccid myelitis, the polio-like illness affecting kids: what we know
127 people are believed to be sick with the illness, and their average age is 4.
By Julia [email protected]@voxmedia.com Oct 17, 2018, 12:30pm EDT

A child being treated for enterovirus 68 in 2014. The virus has caused AFM in the past, but it’s still not clear what’s driving a seasonal uptick this year. Cyrus McCrimmon/Denver Post via Getty Images
Federal health officials this week warned of a small surge in cases of a rare and mysterious polio-like condition affecting mainly children across the US.

The condition, called acute flaccid myelitis or AFM, has so far sickened 127 people, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Of these cases, 62 have been confirmed in 22 states — and there appears to be no geographic clusters in the outbreak so far.

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/17/17989694 ... tates-2018
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

What we know.... Not much.
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I read comments on WaPo where someone mentioned looking at a link between the strep bacteria. Another suggested looking at the flu vaccine. This virus has been the radar for at least 10 years if not more. I don't know why the CDC isn't taking this more seriously. Surely they can isolate the virus from blood samples of infected children.
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'm sure that having all these people coming here from 3rd world countries is totally unrelated.
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We have 5 possible cases here in Maryland.
All young.

I think the CDC is taking this seriously, they just don't know causes. According to NIH sources, interviewed tonight on the news, they said some causes have been identified but not all.

Strange thing.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
Locked Previous topicNext topic