would it bother you if the teacher never graded the summer reading assignment?

RedBottoms

Unread post

So the first 9 weeks/quarter is over. I think all the grades were supposed to be turned in yesterday. The actual 9 weeks ended Friday before last which was the last day of school before Fall Break.

The kids were assigned to read two books over the summer. One book everyone had to read and the other was a choice from a list. They sent home a booklet with lots of questions on it that the kids had to answer after reading the books.

Well my son read the books and we probably worked a good 5 or 6 hours just completing the booklet. It required a lot of looking up quotes from the book and text evidence etc. It was not exactly easy. This is for 6th grade just for reference.

So I am looking on powerschool at the grades and she never graded or recorded the grade for that. He turned it in the first day of school. It was due like 2 weeks into the school year I believe roughly. Well she never graded or recorded it.........................

I don't know if she never got finished with all of them. Or if they actually don't bother even grading them. Or what the situation is. I kinda have a problem with summer reading in general just because its always dumb. My kids read anyway every day in summer regardless. My other son at his different school did summer reading as well but his teacher absolutely graded the summer reading work and recorded it.

So, would it bother you if your kid spends a good amount of hours during summer reading the required books and taking notes on the books as they read and then spends 6 hours or so working on the assignment and it never being graded or recorded????

I am pretty sure my son would have gotten a high grade on the booklet. I helped him and it was really good work. It was all completed. We tried to do above and beyond what it asked etc. So a 100 on that or 98 etc would possibly have brought his overall average up from a 91 to a 93 which could mean the difference between an A and a B.

So yeah I am a little bothered he had to do all that and won't even get credit for it.

How would you feel?
BlessedMommie88
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Why don’t you just email the teacher and ask her if she is going to grade it or not.

Unread post

No, I don't police how the teachers grade things.
anonforever
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Why does a sixth grader need that much assistance on a reading assignment? Is he upset about not being graded or just mom because she wasted her time? If he's upset about not getting graded on it he should just ask his teacher.

Unread post

Nope. They never actually grade those things here just see if the kid did them or not. It isnt big deal and spending a few hours looking up quotes and stuff isnt a big deal

Unread post

anonforever wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:33 am Why does a sixth grader need that much assistance on a reading assignment? Is he upset about not being graded or just mom because she wasted her time? If he's upset about not getting graded on it he should just ask his teacher.
My bet is mom is just upset . The op seems to be one that polices everyone she may come in contact with.
RedBottoms

Unread post

anonforever wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:33 am Why does a sixth grader need that much assistance on a reading assignment? Is he upset about not being graded or just mom because she wasted her time? If he's upset about not getting graded on it he should just ask his teacher.
he has autism. Part of his IEP is that he can type assignments versus write them out or have someone help him transcribe his answers so that is what I was mostly doing. Transcribing for him but also helping him proofread and making sure he did everything.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Guest wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:37 am Nope. They never actually grade those things here just see if the kid did them or not. It isnt big deal and spending a few hours looking up quotes and stuff isnt a big deal
So you would not want credit for spending 6 hours doing an assignment plus however many hours it takes to read two chapter books?
RedBottoms

Unread post

BlessedMommie88 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:27 am Why don’t you just email the teacher and ask her if she is going to grade it or not.
I don't care enough to bug her. But I seriously may say something next year if they assign summer reading again like that about "Are they actually going to grade it this time?" And if they are not going to grade it-then no point in even working on it.

My other son got two grades for his summer reading a possible 50/50 and a possible 100/100 so good grades on those definitely would effect the overall average

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:41 am
Guest wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:37 am Nope. They never actually grade those things here just see if the kid did them or not. It isnt big deal and spending a few hours looking up quotes and stuff isnt a big deal
So you would not want credit for spending 6 hours doing an assignment plus however many hours it takes to read two chapter books?

You sound like a 6th grader yourself, worrying about getting credit..

Do your kids get to believe in Santa or do you need the credit ??
Locked Previous topicNext topic