Should kids automatically know?

Unread post

To pick up or clean up after themselves if they've never had to and always had their Mom do it for them?

For example they spill some juice at someone else's house. They leave the juice mess because they are used to Mom coming and cleaning it up. They don't think to get a rag and wipe it up.

They are 6 and 8.

I say that because they've always had someone cleaning up after them they aren't going to know to do it themselves. Sure they can watch what Mom does but they've never been made to do it themselves.

My Mom thinks kids that age should have enough sense to clean up their own messes the best they can. No one expects them to clean as well as an adult would for the record.

These are not my kids for the record. Just kids I know.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I give kids the benefit of the doubt when they make a mistake in my home. I don't blame, punish, get angry. I just let them "the rule in this house is _____ so please do it this way in the future."

Sometimes kids really don't know. Sometimes they are afraid of getting into trouble. Sometimes they are very shy and afraid to speak up when something goes wrong.
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think they know the mess needs to be cleaned up, they've just been taught that they don't have to be the ones to do it, which is shit parenting.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:24 am To pick up or clean up after themselves if they've never had to and always had their Mom do it for them?

For example they spill some juice at someone else's house. They leave the juice mess because they are used to Mom coming and cleaning it up. They don't think to get a rag and wipe it up.

They are 6 and 8.

I say that because they've always had someone cleaning up after them they aren't going to know to do it themselves. Sure they can watch what Mom does but they've never been made to do it themselves.

My Mom thinks kids that age should have enough sense to clean up their own messes the best they can. No one expects them to clean as well as an adult would for the record.

These are not my kids for the record. Just kids I know.
At those ages I would say yes, they should. However, if they were guests in my home I would do it for them anyways being kids.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I mean, how would they if someone else has always done it? I think cleaning up after yourself is taught.
RedBottoms

Unread post

I would be fine with them coming and telling me "Miss Red, I spilled my drink" and I would happily come help them clean it up. But not saying anything at all would piss me off and just leaving it.

But yeah some kids really don't know.I was somewhat one of those kids. My mom was OCD about cleaning and never really let me clean or taught me because I did not do it "Good enough" to her standards. So I was a little clueless. And it was not really my fault.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, if they’ve always had someone clean up after their messes, I wouldn’t expect them to know that they have to clean themselves. But come on, it’s wiping juice, not cloning sheep. If they’re told to clean it up they should be able to do it.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️

Unread post

*joose
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My two year old will try to clean up his messes. I thought all kids did.

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:00 am I would be fine with them coming and telling me "Miss Red, I spilled my drink" and I would happily come help them clean it up. But not saying anything at all would piss me off and just leaving it.

But yeah some kids really don't know.I was somewhat one of those kids. My mom was OCD about cleaning and never really let me clean or taught me because I did not do it "Good enough" to her standards. So I was a little clueless. And it was not really my fault.
That's how my Mom was too. Even if I cleaned up a mess it was never good enough so I either didn't have the life skills I needed when I got on my own or I had no confidence in the ones I did have. I didn't even know how to do laundry when I moved out at 18.
Locked Previous topicNext topic