Mother arrested for throwing pepper on daughter’s bullies, police say

carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'd have used ghost pepper powder. JK lol.

On a serious note though I can understand Mom doing what she did, though I would not have done it. I'd have contacted their Mom before I contacted the police. I would take it to the media if the parents, school and police did nothing.

My son was bullied by a girl in first grade who used to call him racist names. I did want to go over there and confront both the girl and her Mom, but I had to remember it was not her fault her parents taught her to be racist. I called the school and they took care of it.

What would you have done? The article states Mom did contact the school and police who did not do anything, but doesn't say if she contacted the girls parents.

REVARD COUNTY, FL (WESH/CNN) - A Florida mother faces charges, including child abuse, after police say she threw cayenne powder into the faces of two sisters who had allegedly been bullying her daughter.

Police say 46-year-old Simmone James walked her 10-year-old daughter to Cambridge Elementary School in Cocoa, FL, the morning of Oct. 1.

The mother confronted two sisters, ages 8 and 11, who had allegedly been bullying her daughter for 3 months. She is accused of throwing a powdery substance, believed by police to have been a mixture of cayenne pepper and salt, in the girls’ faces.

“The girls had a reaction to it. Their eyes started tearing up, burning sensation,” said Yvonne Martinez with the Cocoa Police Department.

James’ husband, Larry Barkley, alleges the sisters have thrown rocks at the house and chased their 10-year-old down the street.

“My daughter’s scared to death. My wife has got to walk her to school, and I just don’t think it’s fair,” Barkley said.

The sisters were treated at the school’s clinic and taken to the hospital as a precaution.

James is charged with two counts of battery and one count each of disrupting a school function and child abuse. The abuse charge is a felony, while the other three are misdemeanors, according to the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office.

“Any mom is gonna defend her child, but this is not the way to do it. You don’t resort to violence to deal with it,” Martinez said.

Barkley says the family had previously contacted the school, police and sheriff’s office – but to no avail.

http://www.wtol.com/story/39245023/moth ... police-say
Deleted User 638

Unread post

I would have called a lawyer if the school and police wouldn't do anything. Throwing pepper on those girls means the mother is no better than the bullies.

Unread post

She needs to be prosecuted for assaulting those children.
I wonder if she will get a visit from CPS, since she thinks this is acceptable parenting?
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I'd have gone to the principal about the bullying and called the cops about the rock throwing. If the school didn't stop the bullying, I'd have gone to the superintendent and told them they'd better stop it or I'd be suing them and the school district not stopping it. This is grade school. Bullying is pretty easy to stop in grade school. No need for the adults to resort to assaulting children.
CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Guest wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:43 am She needs to be prosecuted for assaulting those children.
I wonder if she will get a visit from CPS, since she thinks this is acceptable parenting?
She should get a visit. So should the bully's parents.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Although what the mother did was very wrong, I do find it hypocritical of the police department to press charges on her when they failed to resolve the problem.
CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:43 am I'd have gone to the principal about the bullying and called the cops about the rock throwing. If the school didn't stop the bullying, I'd have gone to the superintendent and told them they'd better stop it or I'd be suing them and the school district not stopping it. This is grade school. Bullying is pretty easy to stop in grade school. No need for the adults to resort to assaulting children.
I agree violence especially towards children from adults is unacceptable.

The story says they have contacted the school, parents and police. That is the real issue with bullying. Everyone wants to talk about zero tolerance. But there are so many cases where nothing is done when it actually happens.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

CandTmom wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:52 am
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:43 am I'd have gone to the principal about the bullying and called the cops about the rock throwing. If the school didn't stop the bullying, I'd have gone to the superintendent and told them they'd better stop it or I'd be suing them and the school district not stopping it. This is grade school. Bullying is pretty easy to stop in grade school. No need for the adults to resort to assaulting children.
I agree violence especially towards children from adults is unacceptable.

The story says they have contacted the school, parents and police. That is the real issue with bullying. Everyone wants to talk about zero tolerance. But there are so many cases where nothing is done when it actually happens.
Because unless someone is with the kids 24/7 bullying really can't be stopped. My kids used to say zero tolerance is well and good but kids just get sneakier with bullying is all. The kids themselves need to say enough is enough. Bullying is wrong and we'll stand against it. Adults can try to help both bully and victim but the kids themselves have to want to stop it.
Cowardly-Anon

Unread post

CandTmom wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:50 am
Guest wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:43 am She needs to be prosecuted for assaulting those children.
She should get a visit. So should the bully's parents.
Possibly. The only thing I can say for them is that at least they didn't assault a child(or two) like she did. If the school and police were aware of the issue and were doing nothing, it's quite possible those parents didn't even know there was any bullying going on in the first place.
Shell7m
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Maybe they will learn a lesson now! I hate that everyone wants to excuse or protect bullies but not the victim or victims family when they have had enough.
Locked Previous topicNext topic