Do you feel like

mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

When they were very small, maybe. 8 and 9 is definitely too old to still be having this problem.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yes! DS actually doesn't tear up the curtains or furniture or anything like that though. He is very rough on toys. He takes things apart and doesn't always put them back together. It's an autism thing in his case. But now I know not to spend a lot. I spent $110 on a Lego Mini Cooper that he wanted so badly for Christmas. It's now in a landfill somewhere. :(

We also got him a dune buggy Power Wheels type thing. I'm surprised it still runs. It's semi-intact at this point. $300. UGH. It looks rough. I'm getting him into demolition derby or something like that the moment he can reach the pedals!

I feel you on the board game thing. We're done buying him those. He takes the pieces and uses them for other things like building little villages for his cars and stuff. Of course the pieces get lost so we're just done with stuff like that for now.

I've had OCD since birth and was always meticulous about keeping my things nice so this stuff with DS is new to me, lol.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

famousglm714 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:11 am Yes! DS actually doesn't tear up the curtains or furniture or anything like that though. He is very rough on toys. He takes things apart and doesn't always put them back together. It's an autism thing in his case. But now I know not to spend a lot. I spent $110 on a Lego Mini Cooper that he wanted so badly for Christmas. It's now in a landfill somewhere. :(

We also got him a dune buggy Power Wheels type thing. I'm surprised it still runs. It's semi-intact at this point. $300. UGH. It looks rough. I'm getting him into demolition derby or something like that the moment he can reach the pedals!

I feel you on the board game thing. We're done buying him those. He takes the pieces and uses them for other things like building little villages for his cars and stuff. Of course the pieces get lost so we're just done with stuff like that for now.

I've had OCD since birth and was always meticulous about keeping my things nice so this stuff with DS is new to me, lol.
I refuse to buy more Legos because DS wants all these sets and yet he doesn't keep track of the pieces. I'm Lego-clueless so I can't help really. I bought him an organizer so he could keep track of them and that turned into a giant catch-all for crap he didn't feel like putting away properly.
scemily526
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Have they always been so destructive/careless since they were very little?
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I stand on chairs still as an adult. Being short I have no option if I actually want to reach anything, lol. However, I get what you're saying. I am very frugal in general so I don't buy super expensive curtains or blinds typically. I like to switch them out often so I just buy prints we like and change them. Just like I own at least 6 shower curtains and change them out during the year. I didn't buy them nicer bedding etc until they were pre teens. Until then they loved the cheaper character bedding etc.
scemily526
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DS used to have a nicer dresser. He left the bottom drawer open and stood on it to reach something. He did this so much the drawer could no longer be fixed.
What kind of punishment would he get when he did this?
Locked Previous topicNext topic