First grade question

Mammagoose
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I homeschool but my kids used a spelling program that did start spelling from dictation in a sentence about that time. It helps them carry spelling over from spelling into writing and usually the sentences are words they already know besides the one new one.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

HappyHarpers wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:02 am So my youngest DD is in first grade this year. Every week she’s had a sight word and reading test as well as math homework. No big deal we’ve been studying everyday of the week for the tests on Friday and she’s done really well. This week the teacher also assigned 10 spelling words as well as writing sentences from dictation on the test. I’m just wondering if this is normal and what others have experienced? For the record I’m honestly just curious, I have no plans to do anything other than double down and spend more time working on her homework. My other DD is 15 so it’s been 9 years since I’ve had a first grader and for the life of me I can’t remember her having anything more than a spelling test to study for and math homework. I’m just wondering . TIA!
Yes, very normal.
HappyHarpers
Villein
Villein

Unread post

Thanks everyone!
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:04 am Yup pretty normal. Don't worry too terribly much about the sight word and reading tests, they are more to track her progress and aren't actually graded.
Of course they are graded.
Moonsky

Unread post

I have 2 in 1st grade one brings home a phonics spelling list of 30 words and a spelling list of 10 words, a 4 PG math packet. 10 books to read 10 times through the week as well as a book bag of 2 phonics books and a poem to memorize by Friday 2 stories in a text book with a test on Friday. All of it's due on Friday except the phonics test is on wednesdays.

My other one is special needs so he has 5 books, 2 spelling list one of 6 words and one of 10 words, the poem and the text book stories he will have math starting next week if she thinks he needs it
Locked Previous topicNext topic