Hurricane Evacuation - What do you think of this

JoJo728
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I know what my initial gut reaction was when I read this. This is a Category 4 hurricane with massive destructive power. For a frame of reference - Harvey last year was a 4. Katrina was a Cat 5 and Maria was a Cat 4 and 5 depending upon timing/area.

I didn't post the video here but the link is here. Her kids are adorable. What was interesting was reading the comments on this article - many called for the intervention of CPS. Since that was always a hot topic here (and previously on CM), I am curious to see what you all think both about her decision and about whether this is CPS worthy.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/woman- ... nts=disqus

Woman on NC coast tells MSNBC she’s not evacuating her kids because there’s ‘strength in numbers’
MSNBC spoke to a North Carolina resident on Wednesday who said that she was not obeying a mandatory hurricane evacuation because there is “strength in numbers.”

Just hours before Hurricane Florence is set to strike the Carolinas, MSNBC’s Kerry Sanders spoke to a woman named Katie who lives in Carolina Beach, North Carolina with her three children.

Katie explained that she was refusing to evacuate and instead was planning to “just try to stay safe during the hurricane.”

“I think we are going to do everything normally,” she said.

“Why the decision to stay and not fall back further inland?” Sanders asked.

“From my experience, getting back into town after the storms is very difficult,” the Carolina Beach resident insisted. “Knowing that our family and friends and our home are all here, we didn’t want to leave them unprotected for a prolonged amount of time. We are going to try to stay put.”

“We have several neighbors saying put,” she added. “We feel there is strength in numbers. We checked in with one another. We are going band together and make it through.”

It was not immediately clear from Katie’s remarks how “strength in numbers” would protect her family from a Category Four hurricane.

Unread post

JoJo728 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:17 pm I know what my initial gut reaction was when I read this. This is a Category 4 hurricane with massive destructive power. For a frame of reference - Harvey last year was a 4. Katrina was a Cat 5 and Maria was a Cat 4 and 5 depending upon timing/area.

I didn't post the video here but the link is here. Her kids are adorable. What was interesting was reading the comments on this article - many called for the intervention of CPS. Since that was always a hot topic here (and previously on CM), I am curious to see what you all think both about her decision and about whether this is CPS worthy.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/woman- ... nts=disqus

Woman on NC coast tells MSNBC she’s not evacuating her kids because there’s ‘strength in numbers’
MSNBC spoke to a North Carolina resident on Wednesday who said that she was not obeying a mandatory hurricane evacuation because there is “strength in numbers.”

Just hours before Hurricane Florence is set to strike the Carolinas, MSNBC’s Kerry Sanders spoke to a woman named Katie who lives in Carolina Beach, North Carolina with her three children.

Katie explained that she was refusing to evacuate and instead was planning to “just try to stay safe during the hurricane.”

“I think we are going to do everything normally,” she said.

“Why the decision to stay and not fall back further inland?” Sanders asked.

“From my experience, getting back into town after the storms is very difficult,” the Carolina Beach resident insisted. “Knowing that our family and friends and our home are all here, we didn’t want to leave them unprotected for a prolonged amount of time. We are going to try to stay put.”

“We have several neighbors saying put,” she added. “We feel there is strength in numbers. We checked in with one another. We are going band together and make it through.”

It was not immediately clear from Katie’s remarks how “strength in numbers” would protect her family from a Category Four hurricane.
As an evacuee from Hatteras I get her concerns about her home and property. It could take days or even weeks to get back to their homes. The problem with evacuating is that when we evacuate if the storm doesnt get your belongings than looters do
Deleted User 66

Unread post

As someone who went through Katrina in NOLA, she's a freaking idiot. I hope no rescue personnel risk their lives if something goes wrong.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

I think she's irresponsible and a bad parent. Forcing your children to stay in a mandatory evacuation area is CPS worthy.

Unread post

I know a lot of people, even maybe some locals, will disagree, but for those of us who have lived on the coast our whole lives, we know that there's more to a hurricane than just the hurricane. Often times it's the aftermath that's to worst because like she said, it can be very hard to get back home. Many of us have generators and such to get through the power outages and just generally know how to survive this stuff. Plus, a lot of people just don't have the resources to stay away for weeks at a time until everything is cleared up enough.

Basically, most of us have to weigh the pros and cons and just do the best we can with what we have. Personally, I just decided to evacuate because we have the financial means and resources to do so. I was initially going to stay with family in Durham, but that area is expecting some flooding, too. So I just decided to go on to Ohio with my BIL and SIL. School is cancelled anyway, might as well make it a little vacation. Maybe take them to Cedar Point? Anyway, we're all just trying to make it the best we know how. DH is in media, so he'll have to stay, regardless. It's doubtful that he'll even leave the station until it's all over with.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Well even if CPS is called, they'll have to handle her after the hurricane. I'm sure they're not even in the offices right now. I think there is something wrong with her. She's crazy like the people who insist the hurricane won't come because they prayed it away or the weirdos who shoot at it, lmao. CPS just might need to get involved with this woman at some point but now is not the time. If anything happens to one of her kids she will never forgive herself though and that's 100% on her.
JoJo728
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I do hear what some people are saying about how difficult it is to get back home after an evacuation. But I also think personal safety is more important than possessions or dealing with traffic jams. But having seen the destruction of Katrina and Maria and the lives lost t here, I just don't get this mom. I just hope, for the sake of the kids, that she stays safe. And I hope that first responders will not need to rescue her.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I can understand her concerns, but it’s irresponsible to have that attitude and put yourself, your kids and potentially rescuers who will risk their lives in danger when you’re stuck in a dangerous situation that could’ve been avoided if you just do the right thing and protect your family.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think she's selfish
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Oh, and “strength in numbers”? Against a cat 4 hurricane? What are they planning to do all these “numbers” together, try to see is they can blow it away with fans? She’s an idiot. She’s an idiot. For the sake of her innocent children, I hope she does manage to stay safe. But if it doesn’t work out as she hopes, it’s all on her.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic