First grade question

HappyHarpers
Villein
Villein

Unread post

So my youngest DD is in first grade this year. Every week she’s had a sight word and reading test as well as math homework. No big deal we’ve been studying everyday of the week for the tests on Friday and she’s done really well. This week the teacher also assigned 10 spelling words as well as writing sentences from dictation on the test. I’m just wondering if this is normal and what others have experienced? For the record I’m honestly just curious, I have no plans to do anything other than double down and spend more time working on her homework. My other DD is 15 so it’s been 9 years since I’ve had a first grader and for the life of me I can’t remember her having anything more than a spelling test to study for and math homework. I’m just wondering . TIA!
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My oldest had spelling tests in first grade and I think a math worksheet like once a week or so, but that was pretty much it for homework. My next dd is in first grade now. We’re only on the second week of school but so far only 1 piece of homework and no mention of tests.
RedBottoms

Unread post

I had a similar experience with my boys in first grade at this overachiever school. They assigned tons of homework for 1st graders. But other schools do not do that and find that its pointless and makes kids hate school and only assign for them to read at home.

Unread post

My child was in first grade last year. She had a nightly math sheet, ten spelling words per week, math facts and 15 minutes of reading every night.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Sounds normal for first grade.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

What our teacher did in first was spelling words, a reading log and the. She would send a homework packet Friday with a few work sheets to be done by the next Friday.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Normal. This what my first grader does for homework as well. I'm pretty sure my oldest did that too in first grade. He's a 3rd grader now.
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Sounds normal to me.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yup pretty normal. Don't worry too terribly much about the sight word and reading tests, they are more to track her progress and aren't actually graded.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Yeah, my daughter had spelling words starting in 1st grade. Over 14 years ago. She continued to get spelling words through high school too. The teacher would assign the words and the students had to write paragraphs with the words. My kid wrote short stories for the assignments.
Locked Previous topicNext topic