Are you afraid to tell a doctor or other medical personnel no to something?

Vanillacupcake
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I had a Dr tell me I had to get a pap to get the pill at sixteen! Finger up the butt and all. I was not a happy camper.
When I was pregnant with DD I finally learned how to say no to the DR or call them on their BS.
Bastard told me I was fat. You don't flat out tell a pregnant chick they are fat. I don't care who you are. Yea I gained a little bit too much but he should have worded it differently.
His exact words. "You are fat." ME "Maybe so but you are short. I will lose the weight. There's nothing you can do about being short."

Bastard.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:54 pm
Guest wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:49 pm
Pjmm wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:46 pm Back in the day Planned Parenthood required I get a pap before they prescribed the Pill. I assumed it was their policy and didn't care. But we're talking 30 plus years ago. Now maybe doctors prescribe bc more freely. But yes I do say no to things.
From what I understand, it was pretty much standard practice to do it that way, just not anymore and I think a lot of people don't know that. They just assume it's what's required and when a doctor or receptionist starts asking if this date is okay for their pap to be scheduled, they go along because they think there's no choice at all.
I don't need bc anymore but tbh if the doctor wanted me to have a pap what do I care? Same with a mammogram or the annual physical. I'm at an age where these things are necessary i think. I know people who died young of heart disease i don't want to be one. Now a colonoscopy? No. I don't have time to do that frigging prep. When I'm retired then I'll spend a weekend in the bathroom drinking laxatives thanks. But just like you can say no the doctor can say sorry this is our policy.

I read about a tiny little camera that you can swallow and it takes and wirelessly sends video of your insides all the way through you until you flush it down the toilet. No prep required! Hopefully this will be a standard thing by the time I need it!

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:51 pm It was her rule. I see no problem with that. Shes allowed to have it. And shes allowed to not believe you/not care if you were just tested a few months ago. You can refuse and that's fine too.

My gyno wanted a pee test every time I went to see him for my first few visits (over a year and a half) until he really got to know me. It was his policy. Oh well.

But yes, I've questioned doctors before. And gotten second opinions if I felt one was wrong. Or asked for particular tests even if the doctor didnt think they were necessary.
I'm talking about them wording it in a way that makes a woman think she can't get the pill at all without the testing, not just that she can't get it from that particular doctor without it.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:58 pm
Smarties wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:51 pm It was her rule. I see no problem with that. Shes allowed to have it. And shes allowed to not believe you/not care if you were just tested a few months ago. You can refuse and that's fine too.

My gyno wanted a pee test every time I went to see him for my first few visits (over a year and a half) until he really got to know me. It was his policy. Oh well.

But yes, I've questioned doctors before. And gotten second opinions if I felt one was wrong. Or asked for particular tests even if the doctor didnt think they were necessary.
I'm talking about them wording it in a way that makes a woman think she can't get the pill at all without the testing, not just that she can't get it from that particular doctor without it.

It is a pretty standard requirement from most docs I've seen. Perhaps she meant that. Dont know, but still dont have a problem with it.

Unread post

Vanillacupcake wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:54 pm I had a Dr tell me I had to get a pap to get the pill at sixteen! Finger up the butt and all. I was not a happy camper.
When I was pregnant with DD I finally learned how to say no to the DR or call them on their BS.
Bastard told me I was fat. You don't flat out tell a pregnant chick they are fat. I don't care who you are. Yea I gained a little bit too much but he should have worded it differently.
His exact words. "You are fat." ME "Maybe so but you are short. I will lose the weight. There's nothing you can do about being short."

Bastard.
I really really being strong-armed like that and I'm sorry he said that to you. Highly inappropriate.

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:01 pm

It is a pretty standard requirement from most docs I've seen. Perhaps she meant that. Dont know, but still dont have a problem with it.
I'm not arguing their right to have their own policies, but trying to convince a patient that it's an actual medical requirement across the board isn't right.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:56 pm
Guest wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:49 pm

From what I understand, it was pretty much standard practice to do it that way, just not anymore and I think a lot of people don't know that. They just assume it's what's required and when a doctor or receptionist starts asking if this date is okay for their pap to be scheduled, they go along because they think there's no choice at all.
I don't need bc anymore but tbh if the doctor wanted me to have a pap what do I care? Same with a mammogram or the annual physical. I'm at an age where these things are necessary i think. I know people who died young of heart disease i don't want to be one. Now a colonoscopy? No. I don't have time to do that frigging prep. When I'm retired then I'll spend a weekend in the bathroom drinking laxatives thanks. But just like you can say no the doctor can say sorry this is our policy.

I read about a tiny little camera that you can swallow and it takes and wirelessly sends video of your insides all the way through you until you flush it down the toilet. No prep required! Hopefully this will be a standard thing by the time I need it!
There is a stool test too but some insurances won't cover it. But you'll cover me going under anesthesia in a hospital which must be more expensive. THAT makes so much more sense lol.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm not arguing their right to have their own policies, but trying to convince a patient that it's an actual medical requirement across the board isn't right.

I dont think you read what I just wrote. "Standard" means typical.

Honestly this is a really weird thing for you to be complaining about. It's not that big of a deal. Your doctor didnt do anything wrong. If you didnt like her just see someone else.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:06 pm
Smarties wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:56 pm

There is a stool test too but some insurances won't cover it. But you'll cover me going under anesthesia in a hospital which must be more expensive. THAT makes so much more sense lol.

Insurance companies are so ridiculous.

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:08 pm
Guest wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:03 pm

I dont think you read what I just wrote. "Standard" means typical.

Honestly this is a really weird thing for you to be complaining about. It's not that big of a deal. Your doctor didnt do anything wrong. If you didnt like her just see someone else.
What I'm saying is that I don't care if it's standard. Have your policy and stick to it. What's not right is to pretend like there's no way to get the pill without a pap, giving the impression that there's no choice or option but to get the pap if you want the pill, period. Yes, I do think that's wrong. Especially since it's incorrect. And I did stop seeing her. Like I said, I went to Planned Parenthood and got it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic