Are you afraid to tell a doctor or other medical personnel no to something?

Unread post

Years ago, I had a (female) doctor tell me that pap smears and STD testing are required to get birth control pills, which isn't true. I know some people WANT it to be true or may BELIEVE it's true, but it's not. This isn't about how important paps or STD testing are, it's about whether or not there's some kind of hard requirement for them to get the pill. I left and went to Planned Parenthood where I got them just fine without testing. I understand there's a need for STD testing if you're getting an IUD or maybe other forms of birth control because of PID risks, but not the pill.

Anyway, I think she thought she could word things in a way that made me think it was the law or something. Okay, maybe she has the legal right to make the decision to not prescribe the pill without a pap and STD testing, I don't know, but that didn't mean there was some mandate or law that she couldn't. I didn't appreciate the way she spoke to me like I was a child and she was my mother and I couldn't make my own decision. I'd already had a pap and STD a few months prior with another doctor and was married and monogamous. She seemed completely blown away when I continued to refuse the pap and testing, like she thought she could make me or something.

When I was pregnant with one of my children, I had a nurse all but tell me I'd be put in jail for not doing the gestational diabetes test. Thing is, I had every intention of doing it (and DID do it), but I had to reschedule because of an emergency that had come up and she didn't bother to let me explain that I was still going to do it before she started talking down to be and handing down borderline threats about it.

From reading other stories online, it looks like a lot of people have felt bullied or pressured into things by medical staff that they aren't required to submit to. You?
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Ha, I have zero problem saying no to anyone.

No, I don't want the flu shot. No I don't want this test. No, receptionist, I will not be scheduling another appointment.

Why can't people say no?
CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My doctor isn't crazy. I make appointments for the stuff I want. She has never told me I need to do anything.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Back in the day Planned Parenthood required I get a pap before they prescribed the Pill. I assumed it was their policy and didn't care. But we're talking 30 plus years ago. Now maybe doctors prescribe bc more freely. But yes I do say no to things.

Unread post

cellomom26 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:43 pm Ha, I have zero problem saying no to anyone.

No, I don't want the flu shot. No I don't want this test. No, receptionist, I will not be scheduling another appointment.

Why can't people say no?
They can, it's just that some people don't know that they can say no. I know that when I was much younger, I did believe that you HAD to get a pap to get the pill. Lots of girls did and apparently still do. It's common to think you HAVE to allow certain things during pregnancy, too.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Any doctor I've gone to has always been like well we could do this or that and let me decide.
I asked for STD testing when I wanted it done. Other than that and my yearly exam i rarely go to the doctor

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:46 pm Back in the day Planned Parenthood required I get a pap before they prescribed the Pill. I assumed it was their policy and didn't care. But we're talking 30 plus years ago. Now maybe doctors prescribe bc more freely. But yes I do say no to things.
From what I understand, it was pretty much standard practice to do it that way, just not anymore and I think a lot of people don't know that. They just assume it's what's required and when a doctor or receptionist starts asking if this date is okay for their pap to be scheduled, they go along because they think there's no choice at all.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Nope not at all. I've worked with too many doctors to know that most of what they suggest or order is to make their Mercedes payments. I very rarely go to the doctor because I have very little faith in the medical profession.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It was her rule. I see no problem with that. Shes allowed to have it. And shes allowed to not believe you/not care if you were just tested a few months ago. You can refuse and that's fine too.

My gyno wanted a pee test every time I went to see him for my first few visits (over a year and a half) until he really got to know me. It was his policy. Oh well.

But yes, I've questioned doctors before. And gotten second opinions if I felt one was wrong. Or asked for particular tests even if the doctor didnt think they were necessary.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:49 pm
Pjmm wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:46 pm Back in the day Planned Parenthood required I get a pap before they prescribed the Pill. I assumed it was their policy and didn't care. But we're talking 30 plus years ago. Now maybe doctors prescribe bc more freely. But yes I do say no to things.
From what I understand, it was pretty much standard practice to do it that way, just not anymore and I think a lot of people don't know that. They just assume it's what's required and when a doctor or receptionist starts asking if this date is okay for their pap to be scheduled, they go along because they think there's no choice at all.
I don't need bc anymore but tbh if the doctor wanted me to have a pap what do I care? Same with a mammogram or the annual physical. I'm at an age where these things are necessary i think. I know people who died young of heart disease i don't want to be one. Now a colonoscopy? No. I don't have time to do that frigging prep. When I'm retired then I'll spend a weekend in the bathroom drinking laxatives thanks. But just like you can say no the doctor can say sorry this is our policy.
Locked Previous topicNext topic