Checking food stamps balance on a $900 phone

Anonymous 12

Unread post

FB_IMG_1539965326357.jpg

I think this is stupid. My dh and i both have $1000 phones. We walked out of at&t not paying a penny.. most cell phone companies have it where you can pay for your phone monthly. We're not on food stamps but that is what most who are low income do.

I was reading the replies to that post and people were saying stuff like someone on food stamps shouldn't even have a cell phone. I disagree with that. The nature of my job makes me see how important they are for some people. Yes people survived years without cell phones but modern technology has made life easier.

And not everyone who has a cell phone pays for it. My mom on food stamps has one. I bought it and i pay for her monthly service. My client has one she has an iphone, she is on food stamps and her dd pays for hers and her monthly service.

I've even seen job posting that require a cell phone, my job requires it and since my job requires me to travel i need a gps which comes with most smart phones. Memes like the one I posted i think are really stupid.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This used to be a huge topic on the old CM. I get what you're saying but I also get what the meme is saying. A lot of people where I live abuse the system. It is what it is. It's a generational thing that will never change. If you're on FS and have lot of nice things, of course people are going to judge, lol. Not you OP but people in general.

ETA: Just because you pay nothing down for a $1,000 phone doesn't it's free. It's rolled into the bill... I think what they're implying is perhaps you need a cheaper phone and a lifestyle downgrade if you claim you can't afford to feed yourself.
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I agree, they are stupid, or the ones that say if you have a nice purse you shouldn't have food stamps, because no on can gift you anything if you're poor.
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Seems to be an accurate statement
Anonymous 1

Unread post

AllofFive19 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:49 pm I agree, they are stupid, or the ones that say if you have a nice purse you shouldn't have food stamps, because no on can gift you anything if you're poor.
Or the people who say instead of buying you things, they should use that money to buy you food. That one is is ridiculous too.
Anonymous 12

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:50 pm Seems to be an accurate statement
How so? Most people who have those expensive phone don't pay for them when they ge them. As i said i walked out of At&t with 2 $1000 phone without paying a penny that day.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm not on food stamps and my current phone cost me I believe 150. It was used and bought off of eBay. Originally it went for about 300. One doesn't need an 800 dollar phone. If you're on fs you probably shouldn't spend that especially when again you can get a cheap android or older model iPhone that will do what you need it to do. It's just smart spending.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:54 pm
How so? Most people who have those expensive phone don't pay for them when they ge them. As i said i walked out of At&t with 2 $1000 phone without paying a penny that day.
But you're going to pay them off you said. That's what I argue with T- mobile people. 600 bucks is 600 bucks whether I pay it all at once or 20 a month for the next however many months. I don't need a 600 dollar phone. And if you're not being charged directly for that phone trust me you're being charged indirectly somewhere in that contract you just signed.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:59 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:54 pm
But you're going to pay them off you said. That's what I argue with T- mobile people. 600 bucks is 600 bucks whether I pay it all at once or 20 a month for the next however many months. I don't need a 600 dollar phone. And if you're not being charged directly for that phone trust me you're being charged indirectly somewhere in that contract you just signed.
Nope. I walked out of the store with two $600 phones, only paying a dollar each, and all we paid is the $40/month phone bill. No other charges besides taxes.
Anonymous 12

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:56 pm I'm not on food stamps and my current phone cost me I believe 150. It was used and bought off of eBay. Originally it went for about 300. One doesn't need an 800 dollar phone. If you're on fs you probably shouldn't spend that especially when again you can get a cheap android or older model iPhone that will do what you need it to do. It's just smart spending.
I don't buy used cell phones . You never know what you are buying when you buy used
Locked Previous topicNext topic