Would this be rude? 1st birthday party letter.

agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My son's first birthday is coming up in October. We have a list of about 45 people, mostly just family that say they would love to come to his party. A lot of people are asking what he would like for his birthday, or what we would like for him. So I put together a list of ideas, and made sure to say he doesn't need anything, but if they would like to purchase a gift, here are his clothing sizes, what types of toys he likes, books and things like that.

My question is, on this letter I want to ask people not to get him extremely loud obnoxious toys. My MIL wants to get him one of those popcorn popper things, and I don't want him to have it. It's a lot of pointless noise, and he doesn't like loud noises. Also, I'm prone to migraines and when my nephew is playing with his, I have to leave the room because it will give me a headache after a few minutes. I asked for toys that teach him things. Like numbers, colors, abcs. Things him and I can play with together, that he can learn from.

Is it rude to ask for no obnoxious toys that are just a lot of noise that he won't like anyways?

Anon 2

Unread post

He's one. He needs nothing. Why not simply suggest all those people donate to a local charity in his name

Your list of 'things' is ridiculous.

FYI - there is a very very very simple way to de-noise those poppers. I've done it several times.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

popcorn.png
popcorn.png (38.35 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Aww. Every kid needs one of these!

Unread post

Yes it's rude. Actually the whole letter is rude. I don't see the big deal anyway, you say he doesn't like loud noise so he won't play with those toys anyway.
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Hopefully more people than not will be considerate. My IL's weren't and still aren't. I'm sure some will call it rude to ask no loud toys be given but it's no more rude than giving them knowing they give you migraines. If nothing else, the toy can easily be put out of sight when the party is over. We've done that.
Countess
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

You can't and shouldn't dictate what gifts are given to your child. If you must, ask for gift receipts and return the gifts. Or make a wishlist on Amazon or target, etc. and provide a link on invites.
Rebeccaraev2
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’d just hide it after the party. If you want specific toys, buy them yourself.
AnnOhn
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I agree with the other poster that a list at this age is pointless. People who are parents know this so when they ask for this age they really mean “what do you need”.

One thing you’ll quickly learn is that your child, during his childhood, will receive every toy you’ve never wanted him to have. It’s inevitable. Now is a good time to learn to gratiously thank the giver like it’s the best gift you’ve ever seen. Then quietly donate it afterwards.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

As a person who has the hardest time buying for little kids because you have no idea what they already have or what the kid likes to play with I'd love a list of things that he likes or needs. I'd rather have a list so I know what I'm buying him will actually be used or played with instead of donated to someplace or left in a closet to rot until the next garage sale.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The only parameters I have ever said to people is : no pets! We have several already and we don't need/ want anymore. I have one kiddo that wants a ferret and we have said no to her and reminded her grandparents that get *her* list from *her* that even though she listed it, she is not to receive it.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Locked Previous topicNext topic