Do you drive?

Shaken1976
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If not, where do you live? Do you have a license but just not drive? Do you have your own car?

I saw in another post a woman who didn't drive. It just boggles my mind. I live in a place where you pretty much have to drive or walk a few miles to the nearest bus stop, wait for the bus, hope it gets you close to where you need to go, and then do the same in reverse. I have had my own car since I was 17. I saved up for it and bought it. It was a piece of CRAP.
https://www.vettix.org/ref/230481

If you or your spouse is a Vet, check out this link. They offer really cheap tickets to local events and concerts. I have done a lot of cool stuff through them.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I do not drive but I live in a city with easy access to public transportation. I don't in general leave the house while DH is gone as I don't usually have a need/desire to, but if I had to for whatever reason I'd find a way to where I wanted to go. I've done it before.
RedBottoms

Unread post

I live in an area with really no public transportation except buses and they only service certain parts of town. We do have these cool electric shuttles that just go around downtown and I have used those to go from one downtown spot to another.

But in general everyone has to drive here. Things are very suburban sprawled out and there are many places with no sidewalks crosswalks etc. Also its mountainous and very hilly so walking to your friend's house that lives on the ridge is not really something you could do-you have to drive to go see her.

I drive 24/7 pretty much. I drive the kids to school and home from school and on errands and to the gym and to my son's dance and to go on outings. I would be screwed if I could not drive. My driving is what is keeping this family functional at the moment

Unread post

I find it completely idiotic in the first world of a person doesn’t go obtain a drivers license as soon as they are physically able whether or not they plan on driving regularly or even owning a car.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I grew up out in the country. I had to learn to drive or beg for rides. We were 10 miles from a tiny town of 6,000. No public transportation.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Guest wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:51 am I find it completely idiotic in the first world of a person doesn’t go obtain a drivers license as soon as they are physically able whether or not they plan on driving regularly or even owning a car.
I think its a life skill one should probably learn but I don't think you have to do it right away. If you live in a city where you use public transit-you should learn at some point at least. But its not as dire as learning in other areas.
bluebunnybabe
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You pretty much have to drive where I live.
🍦Kid Crack Dealer🍦
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Guest wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:51 am I find it completely idiotic in the first world of a person doesn’t go obtain a drivers license as soon as they are physically able whether or not they plan on driving regularly or even owning a car.
What if you live in a city where it's kinda pointless? I have heard from a couple people it's pretty pointless in NYC for example to have one since everyone takes cabs or the subway.

I never had anyone to teach me when I was a teen/early adult. My school didn't offer driver's ed. My parents would not pay for it or drive me across town to the only place that offered it. Then when I was on my own I could not afford it. I have someone to teach me now but then there's the anxiety about it. I trust my driving skills and I have driven before, but I do not trust other people's driving skills. Part of it when I was younger as well was I need glasses to pass the test. As a young adult I didn't have health insurance or a way to pay for glasses. I do now but like I said pretty much the anxiety holds me back.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I live in a rural area. Driving is absolutely necessary. It’s a 15 minute drive to a small town, small enough it doesn’t have public transportation either. To get to a decent size city it’s a 45 minute drive in the opposite direction.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Yes I drive. You can't not drive here. We have plenty of public transportation also so I could get by without a car for a while.
Locked Previous topicNext topic