Arkansas Governor signs new executive law to protect women.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:28 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:20 pm
SallyMae wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:14 pm

Most women athletes will never have to deal with this in their lifetime, but the hate and fear stirred up about transgender people will enable fascists, so I don't agree this was a proportionate response to the issue.
Most women athletes care about fairness in sports…
Transgender people are not threatening "fairness in sports" so much that we need to outlaw them, but it sure makes a pile of red meat. That is a WAY bigger problem for women if these crusaders ride to power on it.
I understand that’s your opinion…
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:06 am
highlandmum wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:54 am
SallyMae wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:40 am The best strawweight boxer vs. the best heavyweight boxer...

Can that competition be held fairly?

No...but gender has nothing to do with it, and strawweight boxers are not taking a backseat to heavyweights. They are just competing in a different class, that's all.
Boxing, wrestling, MMA are completely different animals in sports. What you are advocating for is complete dilution of a competition pool. Then what do you do with team sports, start demanding that each team has so many women on them? I have competitive athletes - I have a daughter who has competed track, I have a son who competes at hockey, and box lacrosse, I have two daughters that dance. If I asked them if they want their sports broken down into six or seven levels based on height, weight, and such I can guarantee their answer would be no.

You cannot have a unisex boxing even based on weight - a man typically has 25% to 55% more strength in their upper body. So if you think this would be a fair fight you are dreaming.
It would have to be based on more than just weight.
Please let me know how you are going to base this on? The divisions in those sports are done by weight.

Women have fought so hard for leagues like WNBA, PWHL, Women's World cup of soccer. Now you want to say forget about this it is now co-ed everything. How many women do you think you will see on these teams. Women who played these sports in the past have fought so hard for the women of today to play these sports in a competitive with women of the same elite skill level. What would you say to this women who's efforts you want to make null and void.

One last question - Do you have any children in high end competitive sports?
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:48 pm Please let me know how you are going to base this on? The divisions in those sports are done by weight.

Women have fought so hard for leagues like WNBA, PWHL, Women's World cup of soccer. Now you want to say forget about this it is now co-ed everything. How many women do you think you will see on these teams. Women who played these sports in the past have fought so hard for the women of today to play these sports in a competitive with women of the same elite skill level. What would you say to this women who's efforts you want to make null and void.

Maybe new sports leagues which don't discriminate by gender could be introduced alongside current systems. Maybe the new systems could be introduced gradually, so current athletes could continue just as they have been, but young people just entering sports could find different classes available to them. Perhaps new versions of sports will be created that rely less on size and more on strategy and skill.

The point is, the world has changed and we can't lock transgender people out of sports, so we have to find some way to be inclusive. I am positive we can find ways to make sports fun and competitive for everyone without making knee-jerk legislation that scapegoats trans people in sports like they are a national threat - while ignoring the real national threat.

One last answer - not my kids, but I have played sports myself - diving, track and softball - and there are athletes in my family up to state champion level.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:15 pm
highlandmum wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:48 pm Please let me know how you are going to base this on? The divisions in those sports are done by weight.

Maybe new sports leagues which don't discriminate by gender could be introduced alongside current systems. Maybe the new systems could be introduced gradually, so current athletes could continue just as they have been, but young people just entering sports could find different classes available to them. Perhaps new versions of sports will be created that rely less on size and more on strategy and skill.

The point is, the world has changed and we can't lock transgender people out of sports, so we have to find some way to be inclusive. I am positive we can find ways to make sports fun and competitive for everyone without making knee-jerk legislation that scapegoats trans people in sports like they are a national threat - while ignoring the real national threat.

One last answer - not my kids, but I have played sports myself - diving, track and softball - and there are athletes in my family up to state champion level.
Then start a new sports league..,

Invent a new sport…

No one is stopping you… I think you might just be waiting for somebody else to do it…
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:30 pm Then start a new sports league..,

Invent a new sport…

No one is stopping you… I think you might just be waiting for somebody else to do it…
Maybe when I retire, lol.

In the meantime, what we have is a very tiny number of trans people trying to find room to exist in sports and half a country in a full-blown moral panic over it. It's not warranted. Whatever benefit you think will be gained for women by this legislation will be more than offset by the harm to trans people from being singled out and barred from sports, and by the larger losses to women and society from enforcing traditional rigid gender orthodoxy.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You have got to be kidding me with this statement. That is offensive stating that these top tier athletes got where they were based on size. Heck have you every watch a NHL game, and watch the skill and strategy these top players possess. You are not making a team this day without being one of the top skilled player in the world, irregardless of size.

With these new sports leagues how many women would be required to be on a team? Because as soon as you put a rule like this in place it becomes a situation where you no longer have the top athletes as concessions have been made.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:08 pm You have got to be kidding me with this statement. That is offensive stating that these top tier athletes got where they were based on size. Heck have you every watch a NHL game, and watch the skill and strategy these top players possess. You are not making a team this day without being one of the top skilled player in the world, irregardless of size.

With these new sports leagues how many women would be required to be on a team? Because as soon as you put a rule like this in place it becomes a situation where you no longer have the top athletes as concessions have been made.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend, I don't think being top tier is only based on size - that's my point, actually. And I can't predict exactly how every sport would work in an ideal world. But I know that fair means fair to everyone. I don't believe that in this life we can only be fair to cis athletes OR trans people but not both. We can find a way.

And it's not legislation like this, which is just meant to throw red meat to Christian nationalists and actually endangers trans people.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:08 pm

You have got to be kidding me with this statement. That is offensive stating that these top tier athletes got where they were based on size. Heck have you every watch a NHL game, and watch the skill and strategy these top players possess. You are not making a team this day without being one of the top skilled player in the world, irregardless of size.

Competitive hockey leagues are pretty inclusive of transgender women and transgender men. Do you think that is hurting the leagues or has it had limited affect? I don't think of hockey as being exclusionary. If it ain't broke, no need to fix it, lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:47 pm

Invent a new sport…

In the meantime, what we have is a very tiny number of trans people trying to find room to exist in sports and half a country in a full-blown moral panic over it. It's not warranted. Whatever benefit you think will be gained for women by this legislation will be more than offset by the harm to trans people from being singled out and barred from sports, and by the larger losses to women and society from enforcing traditional rigid gender orthodoxy.
No one is going into a moral panic…

That’s your way of dismissing their opinion.

People are saying it’s unfair, which it is, but you don’t think it happens often enough to matter. It matters to plenty of athletes. You just don’t care…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:08 pm
SallyMae wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:47 pm

Invent a new sport…

No one is going into a moral panic…

That’s your way of dismissing their opinion.

People are saying it’s unfair, which it is, but you don’t think it happens often enough to matter. It matters to plenty of athletes. You just don’t care…
"Arkansas Governor signs new executive law to protect women" says otherwise, lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic