Two MS-13 gang members convicted of killing a teenage girl in a satanic ritual in 2017 have each been sentenced

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:55 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:45 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:41 pm

"though it is weird that so many of you can decide that since you read a European link, you now have the ability to decide that *other people’s* religions are not valid"

I'm a home grown atheist but I think someone's personal beliefs are valid regardless of who you worship or your rituals (just don't go killing people). All religions are valid, even the Satanic Temple of Catemaco. I don't think Satanic rituals are evil (just don't go killing people) as I went to a lovely Satanic wedding last year. However, I am not naive enough to assume that everyone or even most people share my views and know that images of Satan, or mention of satanic rituals give a whole lot of people the hee bee gee bees and has been used since the the 13th century to vilify peoples. I also happen to think that MS-13 is evil and should be vilified but because of their actions, not because who they purportedly worship.
Ask your opinion on what?

I posted about two people being sentenced and the first reply was “that’s not satanic” and we went from there…

So what should I ask your opinion on?
Whether or not you believe that there are some people that worship satan, or whether or not these two people got a harsh enough sentence for killing someone?
I think I and others pointed out that worshipping Santa Muerta is not satanic so why the need to paint it as such?

I don't care who these guys worship whether God or Donkey Kong, they should have the book thrown at them and rot in jail.
Again… the writer of the article said it was probably because of Santa Muerte… that doesn’t mean it was. The individuals themselves describe themselves as satanists, so they are called such.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:05 pm

I posted about two people being sentenced and the first reply was “that’s not satanic” and we went from there…

Whether or not you believe that there are some people that worship satan, or whether or not these two people got a harsh enough sentence for killing someone?
Correction, the first response was "That's based on Catholic beliefs and not actually Satanism".

Not "That's not satanic". Maybe pocket your own biases before commenting on the religions of others.

It was a gang related murder, not Satanism.
Catholics don’t worship satan…The murderers said it was a satanic ritual… that means it doesn’t matter what your understanding of Satanism is, because your understanding of what that means as a religion does not come from the culture they do.

You are coming from a limited view based on the your own cultural context’s understanding… that has no bearing on whether or not they are satanists.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:15 pm

Correction, the first response was "That's based on Catholic beliefs and not actually Satanism".

Not "That's not satanic". Maybe pocket your own biases before commenting on the religions of others.

Catholics don’t worship satan…The murderers said it was a satanic ritual… that means it doesn’t matter what your understanding of Satanism is, because your understanding of what that means as a religion does not come from the culture they do.

You are coming from a limited view based on the your own cultural context’s understanding… that has no bearing on whether or not they are satanists.
Here is the article YOU posted. Where does it say the murderers themselves called it a satanic ritual?

Two MS-13 gang members convicted of killing a teenage girl in an alleged satanic ritual in 2017 have each been sentenced to 40 years in prison.
Diego Hernandez-Rivera, 22, otherwise known as "Scary," faced a judge on Monday, where he pleaded guilty to the murder of 15-year-old Genesis Cornejo. In exchange to pleading guilty, Hernandez-Rivera received 40 years in prison. He also pleaded guilty to aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in exchange for 12 years in prison.

Hernandez-Rivera's sentences will run concurrently.
Hernandez-Rivera's partner, Miguel Alvarez-Flores, 26, also known as "Diabolico," pleaded guilty to murder in February and was sentenced to 40 years in prison.
According to a release from the Harris County District Attorney's Office, prosecutors expected to show in court that Cornejo was dating a gang member and was chosen as a sacrifice and shot to death, likely because she disrespected their shrine to the Santa Muerte, the Saint of Death.

Do you know what the word ALLEGED means? Please point out where in the article they called themselves Satanists or called their murder a "satanic ritual".
Santa Muerte is a saint of folk Catholicism. that is Catholic beliefs mixed with the local "folk" beliefs or customs.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:02 pm
AZOldGal66 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:57 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:18 pm

Yes, but that is a link from BBC saying that they are not worshipping satan…

I included a link from a specific area of Mexico that states- from the people involved in the religion- that they are worshipping satan.

One existing does not negate the ability for the other to exist…
When it comes to religion, people reinterpret the origins to fit their personal agendas and beliefs.

Just about every religion experiences this.
Of course… that’s why even within christianity there are over 30,000 different sects…
And this is a spin off from at least one of them. Unless you want to talk pre old testament.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:42 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:02 pm
AZOldGal66 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:57 pm

When it comes to religion, people reinterpret the origins to fit their personal agendas and beliefs.

Just about every religion experiences this.
Of course… that’s why even within christianity there are over 30,000 different sects…
And this is a spin off from at least one of them. Unless you want to talk pre old testament.
Yes… that would be true.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:27 pm

Here is the article YOU posted. Where does it say the murderers themselves called it a satanic ritual?

Two MS-13 gang members convicted of killing a teenage girl in an alleged satanic ritual in 2017 have each been sentenced to 40 years in prison.
Diego Hernandez-Rivera, 22, otherwise known as "Scary," faced a judge on Monday, where he pleaded guilty to the murder of 15-year-old Genesis Cornejo. In exchange to pleading guilty, Hernandez-Rivera received 40 years in prison. He also pleaded guilty to aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in exchange for 12 years in prison.

Hernandez-Rivera's partner, Miguel Alvarez-Flores, 26, also known as "Diabolico," pleaded guilty to murder in February and was sentenced to 40 years in prison.
According to a release from the Harris County District Attorney's Office, prosecutors expected to show in court that Cornejo was dating a gang member and was chosen as a sacrifice and shot to death, likely because she disrespected their shrine to the Santa Muerte, the Saint of Death.

Do you know what the word ALLEGED means? Please point out where in the article they called themselves Satanists or called their murder a "satanic ritual".
Santa Muerte is a saint of folk Catholicism. that is Catholic beliefs mixed with the local "folk" beliefs or customs.
Not everything I said came from this article… it’s been a big news story for years now. Here’s some more from links without a paywall:

prosecutor said, "Diabolico" (Spanish for satanic power) kept a satanic shrine.

One night during her confinement, she observed an incident where Genesis made an outburst against a shrine dedicated to the gang members' satanic beliefs

"The beast (satan) did not want a material offering, but wanted a soul," Alvarez-Flores said

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/ms-13- ... 3UZZX3U7U/

When I posted it was because I though “ damn, they should have gotten life without the possibility of parole” and it turned into everyone denying that this murder even happened the way prosecutors said it happened…

Y’all would have been key witnesses for the defense… I bet you could have proved that prosecutors got it all wrong lol…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:12 pm

So what should I ask your opinion on?
I think I and others pointed out that worshipping Santa Muerta is not satanic so why the need to paint it as such?

I don't care who these guys worship whether God or Donkey Kong, they should have the book thrown at them and rot in jail.
Again… the writer of the article said it was probably because of Santa Muerte… that doesn’t mean it was. The individuals themselves describe themselves as satanists, so they are called such.
Fair enough. I missed where they described themselves as satanists. Is it in another article or video? I thought the shrine was a shrine to Santa Muerte?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:08 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:12 pm

Fair enough. I missed where they described themselves as satanists. Is it in another article or video? I thought the shrine was a shrine to Santa Muerte?
I posted another article above this one.

Santa Muerte is not referred to as “the beast”, satan is… and since one of the murderers said "The beast did not want a material offering, but wanted a soul," it wasn’t Santa Muerte that they were referencing…

Now, sure, one could say that some sort of mental health issue was going on that made them believe satan wanted them to sacrifice a soul to him instead of a material offering, but that doesn’t mean the prosecution was incorrect in their depiction…
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:03 pm

Not everything I said came from this article… it’s been a big news story for years now. Here’s some more from links without a paywall:

One night during her confinement, she observed an incident where Genesis made an outburst against a shrine dedicated to the gang members' satanic beliefs

"The beast (satan) did not want a material offering, but wanted a soul," Alvarez-Flores said

When I posted it was because I though “ damn, they should have gotten life without the possibility of parole” and it turned into everyone denying that this murder even happened the way prosecutors said it happened…

Y’all would have been key witnesses for the defense… I bet you could have proved that prosecutors got it all wrong lol…
Again, nowhere did either of the murderers claim to be Satanists or claim the murder was a satanic ritual. It was all ASSUMPTIONS made by the prosecution in an attempts to find a motive. The presence of a shrine does not automatically mean Satanism, even if some prosecutor looking to stoke fear in the courtroom makes the claim. Shrines are common in not only Catholic practices but also Hispanic heritage which is a direct result of Catholic influences due to the colonialism of Spain in the region.

Every link you have posted in an effort to "prove" Satanism is real, is tied to and directly references Catholicism....you might as well start calling them "emo-Catholics" at this point.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:26 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:03 pm

Again, nowhere did either of the murderers claim to be Satanists or claim the murder was a satanic ritual. It was all ASSUMPTIONS made by the prosecution in an attempts to find a motive. The presence of a shrine does not automatically mean Satanism, even if some prosecutor looking to stoke fear in the courtroom makes the claim. Shrines are common in not only Catholic practices but also Hispanic heritage which is a direct result of Catholic influences due to the colonialism of Spain in the region.

Every link you have posted in an effort to "prove" Satanism is real, is tied to and directly references Catholicism....you might as well start calling them "emo-Catholics" at this point.
I’m not trying to prove Satanism isn’t real… you’re trying to prove that your understanding of what Satanism is doesn’t fit this case, therefore these guys couldn’t have been satan-friendly lol…

The murderer directly stated that she was killed as a sacrifice to the beast. Which is terminology for satan, not Santa Muerte…

That is super cool though that you know what happened here better than the murderer, kidnap victim and prosecutor… Way high up high five.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic