Pay to stay: Florida inmates charged for prison cells long after incarceration

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:23 am
jessilin0113 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:21 am That's actually appalling.
It really is.

I'll add that our whole prison system sucks, especially for those without means. This example is just one that sucks a lot.
It's really barbaric. I went to a social work convention a few years ago and we had a speaker that had been in charge of the prison system in my state and he had gone to Norway to study their system, and the differences were shocking. He said in Norway, going to prison IS the punishment. Here, we sent them to prison TO be punished. Like we have to do more than just incarcerate them, for some reason. My cousin was in prison for a while and she had work to do in the kitchen, but in her free time between meals she just had to sit there. They didn't allow her to read or study or do any sort of enrichment activity. What is the point of that? She was already in jail and several states away from her family, that is punishment enough. Here we charge them for their cell, charge them for phone calls, legally enslave them so corporations can profit even more off of their cheap labor, and then when they get out we deny them benefits and the ability to vote, and then act surprised when they fall right back in the system. It's literally engineered that way.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:23 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:21 am That's actually appalling.
It really is.

I'll add that our whole prison system sucks, especially for those without means. This example is just one that sucks a lot.
It's really barbaric. I went to a social work convention a few years ago and we had a speaker that had been in charge of the prison system in my state and he had gone to Norway to study their system, and the differences were shocking. He said in Norway, going to prison IS the punishment. Here, we sent them to prison TO be punished. Like we have to do more than just incarcerate them, for some reason. My cousin was in prison for a while and she had work to do in the kitchen, but in her free time between meals she just had to sit there. They didn't allow her to read or study or do any sort of enrichment activity. What is the point of that? She was already in jail and several states away from her family, that is punishment enough. Here we charge them for their cell, charge them for phone calls, legally enslave them so corporations can profit even more off of their cheap labor, and then when they get out we deny them benefits and the ability to vote, and then act surprised when they fall right back in the system. It's literally engineered that way.
Norway's prison system was not founded off of slavery and racism so there's that. I feel it won't get any better until we scrap it completely and start over, lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:34 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:23 pm

It really is.

Norway's prison system was not founded off of slavery and racism so there's that. I feel it won't get any better until we scrap it completely and start over, lol.
That and their philosophy around justice leans more towards restorative (which is largely what victims want as well, in the United States, for what it's worth) rather than punitive. They are smart enough to look to the future and understand that the majority of inmates are going to be released, and they want them to be able to reintegrate back into society and be productive. We've halted at "do the crime, do the time" and have not taken it any further. I agree, the whole system needs scrapped and rebuilt, starting with abolishing private prisons.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:15 am Sooooo, let’s take people who are already at higher risk to commit a crime and add crippling debt to raise those statistics even higher that they will reoffend. Seems like a really great plan.
Not a lot of vote for politicians to gain, from being fair to prisoners.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

That sounds better than us having to pay for their room and board…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:54 pm That sounds better than us having to pay for their room and board…
Do you feel that inmates should have to continue to pay room and board after they leave prison?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:04 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:15 am Sooooo, let’s take people who are already at higher risk to commit a crime and add crippling debt to raise those statistics even higher that they will reoffend. Seems like a really great plan.
It’s not about just being fair to prisoners, it’s about what is most likely to keep someone from reoffending. And a decrease in crime is 100% something that can get votes.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:06 pm
Aletheia wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:04 pm
It’s not about just being fair to prisoners, it’s about what is most likely to keep someone from reoffending. And a decrease in crime is 100% something that can get votes.
Prison lobbying firms spend millions. It's hard to compete.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:09 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:54 pm That sounds better than us having to pay for their room and board…
Do you feel that inmates should have to continue to pay room and board after they leave prison?
Am I bothered if they have to pay for their full sentence?
I suppose it depends on their crime…

If it’s a simple theft, then no… let them go.

If they murdered a child / raped someone violently, I couldn’t care less if they’re punished for the rest of their life even if all we have left is a financial hit after they get out of prison.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It depends; are you trying to make society a better place, or just cause as much suffering as you can to those who you feel deserve it?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic