Humans are not meant to be vegan.

Anonymous 3

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:44 am By the same reasoning, humans are not 'meant' to fly military aircraft in high-g dog fights.

The fact is, though, that humans can survive and even thrive, while doing things nature never 'meant' them to do.
I've seen a lot of people say that humans were meant to be vegan and therefore, it's healthy. I've never seen anyone say we were meant to fly. IDK what the OP was getting at but I doubt her point was that humans can't succeed at things we weren't meant to do.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I tend to agree with you. I had a lot of patients who were vegan that required supplements, vitamin b shots, and had other physical ailments. But to each their own, and it’s probably still more healthy than the traditional American diet of too much saturated fat and processed sugar, leading to so many chronic illnesses and premature death, KWIM?

I tend to just encourage more fresh fruits and veggies, low fat proteins, with less sugar in everyone’s diets!
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

A vegan I know wanted to grow her own vegetables, totally organically, with no animal products. She told the gardeners at Home Depot that she did not want to use any animal fertilizer, so they sent her to a shelf of plant nutrient powders. But, she read the label and found that they were all made of crushed bone. There was no plant food that wasn't in some way an animal product. Plants eat animals and animals eat plants - that's the cycle of life.

Once this person realized that animals were in the process so matter what, she relaxed her veganism and accepted that animals die when humans eat and that's okay.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:19 am I've seen a lot of people say that humans were meant to be vegan
Diet: Orangutans are omnivores. Fruits are their favourite food but they also eat other parts of plants, as well as honey, lizards, termites, birds and eggs.

https://perthzoo.wa.gov.au/animal/sumatran-orangutan
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Bonobos are omnivores. Fruits, shrubs, leaves, fungi, insects, and flowers form the main part of their diet. Bonobos will even swim out into flooded regions to reach fruits, flowers, or minerals that are nutritious. Recently, a group of bonobos was observed hunting small antelopes and sharing the kill with their group!

https://neprimateconservancy.org/bonobo/
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Chimpanzees are omnivorous, but eat fruit more than anything else. Most of a chimpanzee's diet comes from our bits of plants (seeds, leaves, roots, resin etc) but they will also eat insects, honey, birds and bird eggs, mammals and even soil.

chimpanzees have been documented hunting other primates

https://www.discoverwildlife.com/animal ... himpanzees
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:51 pm Bonobos are omnivores. Fruits, shrubs, leaves, fungi, insects, and flowers form the main part of their diet. Bonobos will even swim out into flooded regions to reach fruits, flowers, or minerals that are nutritious. Recently, a group of bonobos was observed hunting small antelopes and sharing the kill with their group!

https://neprimateconservancy.org/bonobo/
COOKING FOOD.

The difference in humans and every other omnivore on the planet is that we cook our food, and eat cooked meat, and the act of cooking it allowed our brains to derive enough nutrients and fuel to enhance our intelligence.
It has nothing to do with simply being an omnivore.
Are you under the impression that a bonobo is as intelligent as we are?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:19 am
Aletheia wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:44 am By the same reasoning, humans are not 'meant' to fly military aircraft in high-g dog fights.

The fact is, though, that humans can survive and even thrive, while doing things nature never 'meant' them to do.
I've seen a lot of people say that humans were meant to be vegan and therefore, it's healthy. I've never seen anyone say we were meant to fly. IDK what the OP was getting at but I doubt her point was that humans can't succeed at things we weren't meant to do.
Humans can succeed at life without legs also, that doesn’t mean being legless is ideal.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:19 pm we cook our food
Cooking has a number of advantages, from killing parasites to preservation.

I think a big factor was that humans adapted to swimming in the rivers crossing the Serengeti Plains next to the African forests near Olduvai Gorge. We didn't just gain meat by adopting the upright posture that allowed running down prey over long distances - we caught fish!

Both are reasons why we shed much of the hair weighing down other primates, however fish especially contained things human brains need large quantities of:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9641984/
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:19 pm Are you under the impression that a bonobo is as intelligent as we are?
Bright chimps and orangutans have an IQ of 80. And 1 human in every 8 has an IQ that is under 80.

Chimps are better than bonobos at tasks involving physics, such as tool usage, but bonobos beat them on reasoning tasks involving social skills and theory of mind.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2929188/

Have you ever read about feral humans, who grew up in the wild from birth - no human language, culture, or taught skills? We have more capable vocal chords and hands, but our base capabilities are not that much better than some animals. There are even some species of bird in Australiathat use fire as a tool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic