Strange Request?

Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:57 pm Here's my strange question - does a family have to have a "funeral"? I mean, that seems expensive to me, and I could have a memorial service at my house for a lot less than that. Is all that money just for taking care of the remains, or does it include the service, flowers, etc.? Really curious, do you know?
After the cost of my Dad's funeral my Mom did not want that for herself. She wanted to be cremated and her ashes buried with my Dad. She dies at 93 last year and the cost for what she wanted was $3500. That included the Urn, burial and cremation. My Dad;s back in 2003 was $7000.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My only question would have been "why me" but you explained that in that you are her beneficiary. She is 80 and would like to have the peace of mind to know that her affairs are taken care of so I don't see it as an odd request. I'm sure my grandma has done the same of my cousins who live nearby and help handle her affairs (she's 99).
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My mom is 80 and has a policy to cover the basics when she passes. She made it a point that no money will come out of our pockets when the time comes. It's not much, but enough to cremate and have a ceremony.

I can't say one way or another if your Aunt's request was strange.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Ask her to send you the information and that you will look into it. Unfortunately, I have discovered that the elderly are targeted all the time for everything. She may be hurried to pay for it because someone is offering her a deal that is too good to be true. Or she could just be legitimately concerned and trying to be practical. I would agree but I would also dig into it before handing over the money.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:49 pm Ask her to send you the information and that you will look into it. Unfortunately, I have discovered that the elderly are targeted all the time for everything. She may be hurried to pay for it because someone is offering her a deal that is too good to be true. Or she could just be legitimately concerned and trying to be practical. I would agree but I would also dig into it before handing over the money.
I posted above that in speaking to a couple of funeral directors, they think it’s a scam which makes me furious. I’ve talked to my Aunt about getting a small insurance policy for funeral expenses which I will pay for.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic