Blocking traffic for a political protest…

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:37 pm
Della wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:25 pm
AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:44 am Bottom line, these were not protests that had legal permits in SF. They were planned and coordinated with other protests yesterday from around the world.

The SF/Golden Gate Bridge protest in particular lasted for hours, inconveniencing many, including people who had medical appointments.

Want to make a statement and be taken seriously as well as respected? Don't do THIS.

"38 Pro-Palestinian protesters arrested after shutdown of Golden Gate Bridge, I-880 in Oakland, CHP says - ABC7 San Francisco" https://abc7news.com/pro-palestinian-pr ... /14668534/
If this were pro-Israeli groups, I believe your attitude would be entirely different.

We all have things we support.

"Organizers say these protests are a part of A15, a worldwide economic blockade in solidarity with Palestine and calling for an arms embargo and an end to U.S. taxpayer funding for Israel. Monday is the tax deadline for most Americans."

https://abc7news.com/pro-palestinian-pr ... /14668534/
Where do you get your arrogance from, Della, to make the assumptions you do on the stances of other's?

To answer your feckless assumption, I would feel the same exact way as I do now if it were Pro Israel unauthorized protests.

I can't take you seriously anymore, Della.
I can read, old gal.

Are you okay with providing weapons to a country that uses them outside of the rules of war? Are you against that?

🤔
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:11 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:02 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:44 pm

The protesters, every one of them blocking the road, and the organizers that told them to do it.

They would have actively taken part in another human being’s death, by choice.

Adding an “lol” doesn’t take away from the seriousness of their actions.

Super bowl celebrations are planned and permitted months in advance. Emergency vehicles know which routes to take to avoid them, it’s no where near the same thing as emergency vehicles getting trapped. You know this.
I'm lol-ing because the idea of arresting thousands and charging them with murder seems a little outrageous. Can you think of any other situation where this would be appropriate and have charges of murder ever been levied against a crowd of protestors when a death occurred? It would be quite difficult to prove that the death of the patient in the ambulance was a premeditated and deliberate act conducted simultaneously by thousands of people rather than an unintentional consequence. If some of the protestors thought that the protest was permitted, would they still face charges?

Of course, in this case, it's all hypothetical as no one died.

It would be incredibly easy to prove that they should have known their actions could cause someone’s death…

It’s not thousands. 38 arrested here… 26 arrested there…

For anyone in this country, if you take actions that you know could cause someone’s death and do it anyways, you are arrested and charged with either murder or manslaughter.

I see no reason that a group of people shouldn’t be held accountable for their actions when an individual would.
Purposeful obstruction of an emergency vehicle while operating is a class 2 misdemeanor. I see no reason to increase the charge to murder if one is on a bridge during a protest.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:18 pm
Della wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:16 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:48 pm

You just posted this on page 5.

“During last year's protest, UCSF transplant organs were delayed by the Bay Bridge protest. “
That could happen due to a major crash which more than likely happens more often than protests on interstates/highways. As I said earlier, no system is perfect. And there are already laws about pedestrians in roadways. What exactly do you want besides just running them over?
But, it didn’t happen because of an accident, it happened because people blocked the roadway on purpose.

As I said, if someone dies, whether that be from being in an ambulance that was blocked, or having their organ blocked, I would want to see murder charges.
How about these ambulance blockers?

https://www.ems.gov/resources/newslette ... roadblocks
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:03 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:02 pm

I'm lol-ing because the idea of arresting thousands and charging them with murder seems a little outrageous. Can you think of any other situation where this would be appropriate and have charges of murder ever been levied against a crowd of protestors when a death occurred? It would be quite difficult to prove that the death of the patient in the ambulance was a premeditated and deliberate act conducted simultaneously by thousands of people rather than an unintentional consequence. If some of the protestors thought that the protest was permitted, would they still face charges?

Of course, in this case, it's all hypothetical as no one died.

It would be incredibly easy to prove that they should have known their actions could cause someone’s death…

For anyone in this country, if you take actions that you know could cause someone’s death and do it anyways, you are arrested and charged with either murder or manslaughter.

I see no reason that a group of people shouldn’t be held accountable for their actions when an individual would.
Purposeful obstruction of an emergency vehicle while operating is a class 2 misdemeanor. I see no reason to increase the charge to murder if one is on a bridge during a protest.
That’s failure to yield… meaning you didn’t pull your car over quick enough.

Actually blocking an emergency vehicle on purpose is a bill in the senate right now to be a federal crime subject to five years in prison. I would go further than that if someone died.

I would see the pain and anguish the dead person’s family had to go through as a reason to enact justice on someone who purposely took part in their death.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:04 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:18 pm
Della wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:16 pm

That could happen due to a major crash which more than likely happens more often than protests on interstates/highways. As I said earlier, no system is perfect. And there are already laws about pedestrians in roadways. What exactly do you want besides just running them over?
But, it didn’t happen because of an accident, it happened because people blocked the roadway on purpose.

As I said, if someone dies, whether that be from being in an ambulance that was blocked, or having their organ blocked, I would want to see murder charges.
How about these ambulance blockers?

https://www.ems.gov/resources/newslette ... roadblocks
Do you understand the difference between unintended delays they are trying to fix, and someone blocking an ambulance ON PURPOSE.

The “on purpose” part REALLY matters here, regardless of how many accidental delays you post about.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:25 pm

Actually blocking an emergency vehicle on purpose is a bill in the senate right now to be a federal crime subject to five years in prison. I would go further than that if someone died.

I would see the pain and anguish the dead person’s family had to go through as a reason to enact justice on someone who purposely took part in their death.
Any person who unreasonably or unnecessarily obstructs the delivery of emergency medical services by emergency medical services agency personnel, whether governmental, private, or volunteer, or who fails or refuses to cease such obstruction or move on when requested to do so by emergency medical services personnel going to or at the site at which emergency medical services are required is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:49 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:25 pm

Any person who unreasonably or unnecessarily obstructs the delivery of emergency medical services by emergency medical services agency personnel, whether governmental, private, or volunteer, or who fails or refuses to cease such obstruction or move on when requested to do so by emergency medical services personnel going to or at the site at which emergency medical services are required is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.
S.4602

Stop Blocking Hospitals Act

This bill establishes a new criminal offense for preventing ambulances and vehicles used by fire departments and law enforcement agencies from responding to a call or transporting an individual to a hospital.

An individual who engages in this conduct is subject to criminal penalties—a fine, a prison term of up to five years, or both.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Kennedy introduces Stop Blocking Hospitals Act to protect life-saving medical services from criminal rioting

Sep 16 2020

“First responders are on the front lines of protecting communities and saving lives. Protestors who block these heroes from the people who need them may think their actions are political, but, in reality, they’re criminal.”

WASHINGTON – Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) today introduced the Stop Blocking Hospitals Act to make obstructing emergency vehicles and personnel a federal crime. Sens. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), Joni Ernst (R-Iowa), Mike Rounds (R-S.D.), Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.) and Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) are original cosponsors of the bill.

“First responders are on the front lines of protecting communities and saving lives. Protestors who block these heroes from the people who need them may think their actions are political, but, in reality, they’re criminal. Ideally, local politicians wouldn’t stand by like knots on a log when protestors stop emergency care from getting to private citizens and community law enforcement. Unfortunately, though, it’s fallen to federal authorities to fill this leadership void through the Stop Blocking Hospitals Act,” said Kennedy.

“Like millions of Americans, I was outraged to learn last weekend that protestors in Los Angeles had blocked the entrance to the emergency room and chanted ‘we hope they die’ as first responders transported two sheriff deputies who were ambushed and shot. I never would have imagined we would have to introduce legislation making it a federal penalty to block access to emergency rooms, but it must be made clear that actions like these will be punished.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

“Obviously, that’s not the case here”? No, the question was generalized as was your response that I quoted. If you are referencing something specific you should be clear on that. AZ Supreme Court ruling on abortion has caused road closures due to protests and counter protest. Also dealt with a couple illegal road blockages and impeding traffic from Trump supporters recently, those were a pretty disgusting couple of incidents. I am really surprised it didn’t even make local news but I didn’t observe the police even arrest anyone just gave citations and told them to move.

As far as your son, I hope his travels are safe and uneventful.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:59 pm Obviously that’s not the case here. And I doubt they give permits to block main roads leading to the airport or to block the Golden Gate Bridge. Permits are given to block some streets and, as you say, make sure that an alternate route is available. This isn’t the case.
People are being not only inconvenienced, they’ve been put at risk. But as I said, more and more people are getting pissed. My son travels tomorrow for Passover, but I’m not worried that these anarchists will prevent him from doing so. He’s in a red state, thank God!
Quorra2.0 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:43 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:25 pm Nothing excuses blocking roads. You endanger people. You wanna bitch? Go in front of a government building or a politician’s home. But hey, the more they inconvenience people the less support they get, I’m OK with that. People will have enough of it someday and start taking matters into their own hands. That would be understandable as well 🤷🏼‍♀️

When there are permits, blockades are put up and, in some cases, detours are planned. No different than other permitted events such as block parties, music festivals, car shows, sporting events, etc.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Della wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:39 pm
AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:37 pm
Della wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:25 pm

If this were pro-Israeli groups, I believe your attitude would be entirely different.

We all have things we support.

"Organizers say these protests are a part of A15, a worldwide economic blockade in solidarity with Palestine and calling for an arms embargo and an end to U.S. taxpayer funding for Israel. Monday is the tax deadline for most Americans."

https://abc7news.com/pro-palestinian-pr ... /14668534/
Where do you get your arrogance from, Della, to make the assumptions you do on the stances of other's?

To answer your feckless assumption, I would feel the same exact way as I do now if it were Pro Israel unauthorized protests.

I can't take you seriously anymore, Della.
I can read, old gal.

Are you okay with providing weapons to a country that uses them outside of the rules of war? Are you against that?

🤔
As can I, Della, and often between the lines that someone doesn't realize are showing.

To answer your question pertaining to weapons, it's situational.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic