Blocking traffic for a political protest…

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:34 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 am
Della wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:35 pm

🤣🤣🤣

You can thank Cyrus Schofield and John Nelson Darby for that interpretation. It never existed in Christianity until the mid to late 1800's.
Yeah, the Scofield Bible, The Late Great Planet Earth, The Left Behind series, etc. were successful in spreading Darby’s dispensational view. So much so that people are convinced it is the only or at least true Christian eschatological view.

**This is just general information for anyone and everyone. There are 3 views of the millennium, pre-, (2 subcategories, classic and dispensational), post-, and amillennialism.

For 2,000 years, Christians have tried to piece together what the Bible says about the end. A wide swath of orthodox interpretations are possible, and it’s easy to get confused by the different terms people use.

There are four main eschatological views, and each proposes a different take on three key aspects of the end of the world: the millennium, the binding of Satan, and the relationship between Israel and the Church:2

Amillennialism
Postmillennialism
Historic premillennialism
Dispensationalism
https://www.logos.com/grow/what-is-eschatology/

*Historic and classic are interchangeable. You’ll see some sources call it classic and other historic. The main point is to distinguish it from dispensationalism which this source labels it as its own category. The source goes on to give a brief description of each one if anyone is interested.

Pastors also disagree about the details of the millennial kingdom.

About half (48 percent) believe in premillennialism, the view that the 1,000-year reign of Christ happens in the future. A third (31 percent) believe in amillennialism, the view that there’s no 1,000-year reign—instead Jesus already rules the hearts and minds of Christians.

One in 10 (11 percent) believe in postmillennialism—the idea that the world will gradually become more Christian until Jesus returns.

Most pastors were split by denomination:

Baptists (75 percent) and Pentecostals (84 percent) are most likely to choose premillennialism.
Lutherans (71 percent) were most likely to choose amillennialism, followed by Presbyterian/Reformed pastors (52 percent) and Methodists (37 percent).
Methodists (27 percent) were more likely than other denominations to choose postmillennialism.
https://news.lifeway.com/2016/04/26/pas ... mplicated/
The left behind series?

You guys are bringing up books written in our lifetime…

I’m talking about scripture written in 518 BC.

None of that has anything to do with Christians supporting Israel, it’s way to attempt to gaslight them into thinking they’ve been fooled.. but your reason for thinking that doesn’t have anything to do with what I’m talking about.
Early Dispensationalism began in Britain but then experienced great popularity in the United States. Darby and other Brethren ministers brought Dispensationalism to America. The rise in popularity of Dispensationalism also occurred through Bible conferences, the rise of Bible institutes and colleges, the influence of Dallas Theological Seminary (est. 1924), and the popularity of radio and television programs from dispensational teachers. Hal Lindsey’s book, The Late Great Planet Earth, and the Left Behind book series (Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins) were books published from a dispensational perspective that became best sellers. Dispensationalism remains popular in the United States but also has many critics.
https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/essa ... -theology/
Dispensational scholars have emphasized certain beliefs as most essential to this system. Charles Ryrie (1925-2016), for example, presented a sine qua non (i.e. essential conditions) of Dispensationalism that involved three areas: (1) a distinction between Israel and the church; (2) a hermeneutic of “literal interpretation” to all areas of scripture including Old Testament prophecies; and (3) the glory of God as the underlying purpose of God in history.

Another dispensationalist, John Feinberg, offered six “essentials” of Dispensationalism: (1) multiple senses of terms like “Jew” and “seed of Abraham; (2) a hermeneutic in which the New Testament reaffirms and does not reinterpret the Old Testament; (3) unconditional promises to national Israel in the Old Testament must be fulfilled with national Israel; (4) a distinctive future for Israel; (5) the church as a distinctive organism; and (6) a philosophy of history in which history is the gradual implementation and outworking of the kingdom of God.

The lists from Ryrie and Feinberg show that Dispensationalism is primarily about a hermeneutic for Bible interpretation, especially involving Old Testament prophecies concerning ethnic/national Israel. And it involves certain beliefs concerning Israel and the church.
I’m bringing up well establish church history, beliefs and culture of white evangelical Christians. You can scoff at me bringing up the Left Behind series, but it’s a best selling series of books and blockbusters that have been and continue to be highly influential especially in white evangelical circles. Also, I’m trying to point out that different Christians have different beliefs on things such as Israel, and eschatology plays a big part in that. Not all Christians believe prophecy in the OT are to be understood or interpreted literally, so quoting scripture to support your POV that Christians believe a certain way is not accurate. The nation of Israel is a huge part of dispensationalism’s eschatology, so understanding the distinction among the different views will help people understand why some Christians whole heartedly support Israel and other Christians do not.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:37 pm

Yeah, the Scofield Bible, The Late Great Planet Earth, The Left Behind series, etc. were successful in spreading Darby’s dispensational view. So much so that people are convinced it is the only or at least true Christian eschatological view.

**This is just general information for anyone and everyone. There are 3 views of the millennium, pre-, (2 subcategories, classic and dispensational), post-, and amillennialism.

*Historic and classic are interchangeable. You’ll see some sources call it classic and other historic. The main point is to distinguish it from dispensationalism which this source labels it as its own category. The source goes on to give a brief description of each one if anyone is interested.

The left behind series?

None of that has anything to do with Christians supporting Israel, it’s way to attempt to gaslight them into thinking they’ve been fooled.. but your reason for thinking that doesn’t have anything to do with what I’m talking about.
Early Dispensationalism began in Britain but then experienced great popularity in the United States. Darby and other Brethren ministers brought Dispensationalism to America. The rise in popularity of Dispensationalism also occurred through Bible conferences, the rise of Bible institutes and colleges, the influence of Dallas Theological Seminary (est. 1924), and the popularity of radio and television programs from dispensational teachers. Hal Lindsey’s book, The Late Great Planet Earth, and the Left Behind book series (Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins) were books published from a dispensational perspective that became best sellers. Dispensationalism remains popular in the United States but also has many critics.
Dispensational scholars have emphasized certain beliefs as most essential to this system. Charles Ryrie (1925-2016), for example, presented a sine qua non (i.e. essential conditions) of Dispensationalism that involved three areas: (1) a distinction between Israel and the church; (2) a hermeneutic of “literal interpretation” to all areas of scripture including Old Testament prophecies; and (3) the glory of God as the underlying purpose of God in history.

Another dispensationalist, John Feinberg, offered six “essentials” of Dispensationalism: (1) multiple senses of terms like “Jew” and “seed of Abraham; (2) a hermeneutic in which the New Testament reaffirms and does not reinterpret the Old Testament; (3) unconditional promises to national Israel in the Old Testament must be fulfilled with national Israel; (4) a distinctive future for Israel; (5) the church as a distinctive organism; and (6) a philosophy of history in which history is the gradual implementation and outworking of the kingdom of God.

The lists from Ryrie and Feinberg show that Dispensationalism is primarily about a hermeneutic for Bible interpretation, especially involving Old Testament prophecies concerning ethnic/national Israel. And it involves certain beliefs concerning Israel and the church.
I’m bringing up well establish church history, beliefs and culture of white evangelical Christians. You can scoff at me bringing up the Left Behind series, but it’s a best selling series of books and blockbusters that have been and continue to be highly influential especially in white evangelical circles. Also, I’m trying to point out that different Christians have different beliefs on things such as Israel, and eschatology plays a big part in that. Not all Christians believe prophecy in the OT are to be understood or interpreted literally, so quoting scripture to support your POV that Christians believe a certain way is not accurate. The nation of Israel is a huge part of dispensationalism’s eschatology, so understanding the distinction among the different views will help people understand why some Christians whole heartedly support Israel and other Christians do not.
Pop-dispensationalism continues to inform the theological and spiritual lives of millions of Christians—in multiple settings and through multiplying forms of media. Taking book publishing as one example, a chart of bestsellers in the subgenre of “Christian eschatology” (such as Amazon’s) reveals that dispensationalist-inspired analyses of modern politics top the charts. Books by David Jeremiah, Amir Tsarfati, and Jonathan Cahn are routinely at the top. And books in this vein are being issued by large publishers like Thomas Nelson, Baker, and Tyndale.

In other mediums, pop-dispensationalists remain highly visible: television preaching (Jeffress and the recently deceased Charles Stanley) and radio (John MacArthur, Chuck Swindoll) to name a couple. Left Behind witnessed another film entry in 2023, this time directed by Kevin Sorbo.

It’s worth reflecting not just on the quantity and reach of this output but on its quality. Here, the situation is less impressive. Many of the bestsellers are an endless churn of analyses and predictions. This has potentially deformative spiritual effects on its consumers.

Like its predecessors in the 1970s (books like Hal Lindsey’s The Late Great Planet Earth and films like A Thief in the Night), such media presents eschatology in a way that’s disconnected from the movement’s undergirding theological commitments. More thoughtful dispensationalists have lamented this for decades, but it hasn’t stemmed the tide.

Unlike its predecessors, today’s pop-dispensationalism is also highly bound by evangelical culture and appeal. While the 1970s progenitors claimed, and no doubt succeeded in numerous cases, to be reaching non-Christians with the gospel message (though they problematically used a popular fascination with pop-eschatology as their evangelism tool), current pop-dispensationalism doesn’t play this role to the same extent. Its products are aimed at and marketed to existing evangelicals.
https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/arti ... tionalism/

This explains why I mentioned fiction books…
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

The left behind series?

Ok, well thank you for the unrequested mansplained history lesson on nothing to do with what I was talking about to Mom2twoboys…

Look, I really have no need for these little lessons on the early 2000’s that shaped our ignorant spiritual lives…

I get that you believe yourself to be an expert on evangelical Christians… but it’s only impressive to people that *aren’t* evangelical Christians… Like Della. I bet she’s super impressed. Maybe you can continue your Ted talk in PMs with her…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:57 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:13 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:57 pm

True, but Christian’s do…

Depending on the Christian- some take the OT as incredibly sacred, some look at it as a history lesson, some don’t think it matters all that much…

But a lot of Christians in Arkansas anyways REALLY hold the OT to be divine scripture.

Plenty of them celebrate Passover, won’t eat shrimp, won’t eat pork, a lot of them wear hair coverings and long skirts only…

“ This is the plague with which the LORD will strike all the nations that fought against Jerusalem” is a big one.
7th Day Adventists?
I’m not sure, I know the church they go to is up the street from me and has “tabernacle” in the title, but I’m not really sure what they are.
I'm willing to bet that it is Adventists as while only numbering about 1 million, they are most prevalent in the south. I can also understand assuming because they practice the sabbath on Saturday, they automatically align with Israel.

Adventists see the formation of Israel as political, not religious or ordained. They believe in post millennialism and do not believe in dispensationalism (see mommy_jules posts for an explainer). Adventists generally protest for peace and they have done so most recently with regards to the war in Gaza both here and in Israel as there are Adventist churches there.

As I mentioned earlier, it is incorrect to label all Christians as having a shared belief in anything other than Jesus Christ as the savior.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:17 am
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:13 pm

7th Day Adventists?
I’m not sure, I know the church they go to is up the street from me and has “tabernacle” in the title, but I’m not really sure what they are.
I'm willing to bet that it is Adventists as while only numbering about 1 million, they are most prevalent in the south. I can also understand assuming because they practice the sabbath on Saturday, they automatically align with Israel.

Adventists see the formation of Israel as political, not religious or ordained. They believe in post millennialism and do not believe in dispensationalism (see mommy_jules posts for an explainer). Adventists generally protest for peace and they have done so most recently with regards to the war in Gaza both here and in Israel as there are Adventist churches there.

As I mentioned earlier, it is incorrect to label all Christians as having a shared belief in anything other than Jesus Christ as the savior.
Ok… so regardless of these lessons…

What I said is still true.

Most Christians around here are extremely supportive of Israel.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:22 am

Oh I don't doubt that, lol. Question I have is can one support Israel but protest for peace or a ceasefire, or condemn some of Israel's current policies? Obviously, I think "yes" but equally obvious is that some think "no". Regardless, it's been an interesting discussion among evangelicals in my community. At what point does support become not religiously based but politically based?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 am

Oh I don't doubt that, lol. Question I have is can one support Israel but protest for peace or a ceasefire, or condemn some of Israel's current policies? Obviously, I think "yes" but equally obvious is that some think "no". Regardless, it's been an interesting discussion among evangelicals in my community. At what point does support become not religiously based but politically based?
It would be a different answer for each individual…

There’s no one answer for all evangelicals…
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:21 am

The left behind series?

Ok, well thank you for the unrequested mansplained history lesson on nothing to do with what I was talking about to Mom2twoboys…

Look, I really have no need for these little lessons on the early 2000’s that shaped our ignorant spiritual lives…

I get that you believe yourself to be an expert on evangelical Christians… but it’s only impressive to people that *aren’t* evangelical Christians… Like Della. I bet she’s super impressed. Maybe you can continue your Ted talk in PMs with her…
You’re welcome. Though, I don’t think it can be called mansplaining when I’m not a man, nor unrequested because you quoted me which invited me to explain further, especially when I’ve been accused of gaslighting.

I may not be an expert in the academic sense, but I am an evangelical Christian who is a member of an evangelical church. I’m not pulling this stuff out of my ass, and I provide sources to back it up. There’s no need to DM Della. I can discuss things with her out here in the public forum or anyone else who cares to discuss or read it. You can ignore me if you want. It won’t hurt my feelings.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:27 am
WellPreserved wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 am

It would be a different answer for each individual…

There’s no one answer for all evangelicals…
Exactly.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:28 am
Slimshandy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:21 am

You’re welcome. Though, I don’t think it can be called mansplaining when I’m not a man, nor unrequested because you quoted me which invited me to explain further, especially when I’ve been accused of gaslighting.

I may not be an expert in the academic sense, but I am an evangelical Christian who is a member of an evangelical church. I’m not pulling this stuff out of my ass, and I provide sources to back it up. There’s no need to DM Della. I can discuss things with her out here in the public forum or anyone else who cares to discuss or read it. You can ignore me if you want. It won’t hurt my feelings.
Oh good, so when Della says Christians are ignorant, you disagree, or agree?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic