Running track in middle school experiences?

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’m a runner, my husband and older also all run. My 10 and 12 year old run track and my 13 year old runs cross country. I would say it’s common enough that I wouldn’t be super concerned and pull them out of it, the strain on the muscles pulls blood away from the GI tract and can cause an upset stomach. But there are definitely things that can be done to help, especially if he’s only running a mile. Make sure that he hydrates properly throughout the day, not just right before, and that includes electrolytes. We try to get most of our electrolytes naturally throughout the day. Drinks like Gatorade often have so much sugar that they don’t really help. For really intense runs we use liquidiv which I’ve found to do the best at actually hydrating. Also make sure he thoroughly warms up and that will help a lot. Have him ask his coach for advice on breathing techniques to better move oxygen through the body.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

My son was in 7th grade when he did track and yes, he got sooo sick and puked. He also did something to his knee and had to drop out as the dr said if he continues to run that it could cause issues for the rest of his life. It really sucked for him :(
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:23 pm
MrsDavidB wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:30 pm My son (also 14) runs too and never throws up or what you are describing. BUT he also doesn't run the mile that fast as is more of a paced distance runner doing like 3-5 miles. So maybe that's why. How fast your son is. And he has a very impressive time btw!
My son also ran cross country this past fall — he never threw up then. He runs the 100m. Too, I wonder if that is part of it…

And thanks, I am so proud of him BUT he does not even place in the top 3, 8th grade boys, the winner got 5m.13.4s. My oldest, said he probably will not make the high school team unless he is <5 minutes.

I am confused, as I thought anyone could run track, for fun…
If he's in a public school, they can't turn him away. He may be put in the JV races, but will still get to run. I wouldn't stress placing at all.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic