Running track in middle school experiences?

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My son, age 14, runs the mile.

I want to support & encourage him.

BUT he gets physically ill after running, to the point he dry heaves & vomits up bits of water. I am trying not hover & helicopter, but idk, is this normal for 8th grade sports?

My older son was a sprinter and never got so sick. But he says it is totally normal for the intense athletes, but I mean my son is not even placing, he’s only at around a 5min30sec time.

Did your child do this? Is it really normal?
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I believe it is common. I’m sure there are things he/y’all could do to help though.

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-inj ... -you-puke/
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I see it a lot at my son's mountain bike races. I think the distance is probably why you don't see it with your older child but you do him.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

My daughter ran cross country in middle and high school and throwing up immediately following a race was pretty common. I've been to a couple of my BIL's triathlons and held the puke bucket, lol. I agree with the poster above that distance is why you didn't see it with your older child but if you are concerned, I would ask your son's coach.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

My son (also 14) runs too and never throws up or what you are describing. BUT he also doesn't run the mile that fast as is more of a paced distance runner doing like 3-5 miles. So maybe that's why. How fast your son is. And he has a very impressive time btw!
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Yes, it's very common. It's part of our flight or fight response. The digestive tract slows down in response to stress. There are a few things you can try but even Olympic athletes experience it. Try to keep his meals small and frequent on race day. No eating 2 hours before the race. Meals should be bland, nothing fried or greasy. A small meal of pasta, more than 2 hours before the race, is perfect. Liquid meals are also great. And heavy on the fruit juice. But everyone is different. His body may get used to it over time and it may stop.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:27 am My son, age 14, runs the mile.

I want to support & encourage him.

BUT he gets physically ill after running, to the point he dry heaves & vomits up bits of water. I am trying not hover & helicopter, but idk, is this normal for 8th grade sports?

My older son was a sprinter and never got so sick. But he says it is totally normal for the intense athletes, but I mean my son is not even placing, he’s only at around a 5min30sec time.

Did your child do this? Is it really normal?
Go watch a high school track or cross country meet. There are always several garbage cans in the recovery area just past the finish line. It's more common after cross country meets, but runners who push themselves harder than they're used to will be bent over the cans, or just flat collapse once they cross the finish line.

Don't be too concerned. He needs to learn to pace himself better. That comes with time and lots and lots of races.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:39 pm Yes, it's very common. It's part of our flight or fight response. The digestive tract slows down in response to stress. There are a few things you can try but even Olympic athletes experience it. Try to keep his meals small and frequent on race day. No eating 2 hours before the race. Meals should be bland, nothing fried or greasy. A small meal of pasta, more than 2 hours before the race, is perfect. Liquid meals are also great. And heavy on the fruit juice. But everyone is different. His body may get used to it over time and it may stop.
I understand why it happens - I just am struggling with the idea that my 14year-old is pushing himself this hard. Like idk, I encouraged track because it promotes healthy running as a life-long activity. I just it was more fun, less competitive.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:30 pm My son (also 14) runs too and never throws up or what you are describing. BUT he also doesn't run the mile that fast as is more of a paced distance runner doing like 3-5 miles. So maybe that's why. How fast your son is. And he has a very impressive time btw!
My son also ran cross country this past fall — he never threw up then. He runs the 100m. Too, I wonder if that is part of it…

And thanks, I am so proud of him BUT he does not even place in the top 3, 8th grade boys, the winner got 5m.13.4s. My oldest, said he probably will not make the high school team unless he is <5 minutes.

I am confused, as I thought anyone could run track, for fun…
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I never ran track in middle or high school but did run in the military and yes, this was common. Especially when you haven't learned to control your breathing with the exercise.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic