Arizona Supreme Court rules a near-total abortion ban from 1864 is enforceable

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:14 am As someone who is pro life, I'm totally against this ban and I suspect that voters will bring a close to this atrocity in November. I also suspect that an appeal will be filed in the coming days.

"Breakdown on Arizona Supreme Court abortion law ruling" https://www.azfamily.com/2024/04/10/faq ... ing-means/
Are any people on the Arizona legislature trying to stop it from getting on a ballot?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Della wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:20 am
AZOldGal66 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:14 am As someone who is pro life, I'm totally against this ban and I suspect that voters will bring a close to this atrocity in November. I also suspect that an appeal will be filed in the coming days.

"Breakdown on Arizona Supreme Court abortion law ruling" https://www.azfamily.com/2024/04/10/faq ... ing-means/
Are any people on the Arizona legislature trying to stop it from getting on a ballot?
I don’t think they’ll be able to. The process for a constitutional amendment ballot initiative in Arizona just requires signatures to be collected, submitted to the Secretary of State for the signatures to be certified, and if/when they are it’s placed on the ballot. Although I’m sure some legislators might attempt some Hail Mary legal challenges, in Arizona they essentially don’t have a role in this process.

The Arizona Right to Abortion Initiative needs 383,923 signatures by July 4th for it to appear on the November 2024 ballot. As of April 2, it has well exceeded that with 506,892 signatures, and I’d guess this decision will gain them even more.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Mark Kelly is one (as are our Attorney General here and our Governor) but honestly, if you're really interested and since the AZSP only voted on this yesterday, they'll be more to come.

It's a partisan issue so we'll see those who are for it and those who aren't.

Give it time.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:49 am

Mark Kelly is one (as are our Attorney General here and our Governor) but honestly, if you're really interested and since the AZSP only voted on this yesterday, they'll be more to come.

Give it time.
How is Kelly trying to stop it from being voted on? He seems adamantly against this law being allowed to stand. https://goldrushcam.com/sierrasuntimes/ ... o-patients

I
306/232

Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This guy 1) appointed every single Justice that voted for this ban to be enforced, and 2) signed a law that explicitly said it did not repeal the 1864 ban, so that it would be enforceable once Roe was overturned.

If Arizona Republicans try to pretend this isn’t exactly what they wanted, pass another 15 week ban and then say the November 2024 ballot measure is therefore unnecessary, I think this fundamental dishonesty will be something voters will be reminded of and remember.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Della wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:31 am
AZOldGal66 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:49 am

Give it time.
How is Kelly trying to stop it from being voted on? He seems adamantly against this law being allowed to stand. https://goldrushcam.com/sierrasuntimes/ ... o-patients

I
Completely misread your question.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:44 am

I don’t think they’ll be able to. The process for a constitutional amendment ballot initiative in Arizona just requires signatures to be collected, submitted to the Secretary of State for the signatures to be certified, and if/when they are it’s placed on the ballot. Although I’m sure some legislators might attempt some Hail Mary legal challenges, in Arizona they essentially don’t have a role in this process.

The Arizona Right to Abortion Initiative needs 383,923 signatures by July 4th for it to appear on the November 2024 ballot. As of April 2, it has well exceeded that with 506,892 signatures, and I’d guess this decision will gain them even more.
Ashley Moody threw a fitting hemorrhage in court trying to stop it last November. Thankfully the Florida SC saw through her shenanigans.

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-ash ... b7670b16e3
306/232

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:49 am This guy 1) appointed every single Justice that voted for this ban to be enforced, and 2) signed a law that explicitly said it did not repeal the 1864 ban, so that it would be enforceable once Roe was overturned.

If Arizona Republicans try to pretend this isn’t exactly what they wanted, pass another 15 week ban and then say the November 2024 ballot measure is therefore unnecessary, I think this fundamental dishonesty will be something voters will be reminded of and remember.
Under Trumpism, that's been a growing problem.
306/232

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Time to remember we don’t need doctors to acquire abortifacients.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

306/232

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic