What's up with this child labor push?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"Democratic Gov. Tony Evers on Monday vetoed a Republican bill that would have allowed 14- and 15-year-olds in Wisconsin to work without getting consent from their parents or a state permit.

Evers vetoed the bill that passed the Legislature with all Republicans in support and Democrats against it."

(...)

"Republican supporters said the change would have eliminated red tape for employers and teenage job applicants and bolster the state’s workforce."

(...)

"The dangerous push to weaken child labor law in Wisconsin and across the country comes at a time when more children are harmed at work or work hazardous jobs.”

https://apnews.com/article/wisconsin-ch ... 7dc1c8e3d0
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Because rich people want to get richer and child labor allows them to cut costs
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

So are states going to start providing unemployed minor children with unemployment?

Loosening child labor laws seems absurd on the surface but if you deport 11 million workers, who is going to replace them? KIDS! Yeah us.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

So for the record…

It’s wrong to employ children in what should be an adult’s job, right?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:32 pm So for the record…

It’s wrong to employ children in what should be an adult’s job, right?
What do you see as an “adults job?” I see nothing wrong with teenagers working, as long as it’s properly regulated to ensure they are paid fairly and work under safe conditions that don’t impede their education.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Ok.. I read the article. I am trying to find an issue here. There should be regulations for employers that employ children and teens that are 14-15 are still minors. Their parents should have the knowledge of the fact that they are employed so that they are appraised of the regulations imposed by their state and they can be followed. Here is what the GA DOL says: Minors 14 and 15 years of age can work:

3 hours on a school day
8 hours on a nonschool day
18 hours in a school week
40 hours in a nonschool week
Minors 14 and 15 years of age may:

Not work before 7:00 a.m.
Not work after 7:00 p.m. (extended to 9:00 p.m. June 1 through Labor Day)
Not work during normal school hours
Minors 14 or 15 years of age who do not attend school (home schooled, married, excused from school, etc.) are subject to the above restrictions. They MAY NOT WORK DURING THE HOURS THE LOCAL SCHOOL SYSTEM IS IN SESSION.

For 16-17 yo: Minors 16 and 17 years of age have no state or federal law work hour restrictions.

No minor under 16 years of age shall be permitted to work during the hours when public or private schools are in session unless said minor has completed senior high school or has been excused from attendance in school by a county or independent school system board of education in accordance with the general policies and regulations promulgated by the State Board of Education.

The rub is that GA does not allow anyone under 18 to drive between 12-5 am so employers also have to abide by that law.
My daughter is 15 and works at her karate dojo. She works 3 hours a day no more than 3 days a week. She is a junior instructor just like her older sister did while she was in HS.
I have no issue with there being regulations such as nobody under 18 is allowed to use certain equipment in a kitchen at a foodservice establishment. I think parents need to be aware of where their child is working just so they can make sure that they remain safe at work.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:49 pm Ok.. I read the article. I am trying to find an issue here. There should be regulations for employers that employ children and teens that are 14-15 are still minors. Their parents should have the knowledge of the fact that they are employed so that they are appraised of the regulations imposed by their state and they can be followed. Here is what the GA DOL says: Minors 14 and 15 years of age can work:

3 hours on a school day

Minors 14 or 15 years of age who do not attend school (home schooled, married, excused from school, etc.) are subject to the above restrictions. They MAY NOT WORK DURING THE HOURS THE LOCAL SCHOOL SYSTEM IS IN SESSION.

For 16-17 yo: Minors 16 and 17 years of age have no state or federal law work hour restrictions.

No minor under 16 years of age shall be permitted to work during the hours when public or private schools are in session unless said minor has completed senior high school or has been excused from attendance in school by a county or independent school system board of education in accordance with the general policies and regulations promulgated by the State Board of Education.

The rub is that GA does not allow anyone under 18 to drive between 12-5 am so employers also have to abide by that law.
My daughter is 15 and works at her karate dojo. She works 3 hours a day no more than 3 days a week. She is a junior instructor just like her older sister did while she was in HS.
I have no issue with there being regulations such as nobody under 18 is allowed to use certain equipment in a kitchen at a foodservice establishment. I think parents need to be aware of where their child is working just so they can make sure that they remain safe at work.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -law-death
306/232

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

“I speak with workers every day. Just recently a group of catchers at Tyson chicken farms came to us: two of them were minors from Guatemala, and they came to Venceremos because they were not paid, and forced to work 16 hours in one shift, and the contractor did not want to pay them.”

Morality at it’s finest, eh?
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’m with you here. We’re not talking 7 year olds loading machines in a factory. If this is about teenagers not requiring parental consent to get a job, I don’t see how that’s a “child labor push”. Maybe I misunderstood what this is about..?
And what’s so ironic to me is that the same people who pushed for teens to not require parental consent for medical choices are the same people all up in arms about this. So a 15 year old girl can go and get an abortion without telling her parents but God forbid she can get a job at Taco Bell after school without her parents’ permission? Always the selective outrage.
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:49 pm Ok.. I read the article. I am trying to find an issue here. There should be regulations for employers that employ children and teens that are 14-15 are still minors. Their parents should have the knowledge of the fact that they are employed so that they are appraised of the regulations imposed by their state and they can be followed. Here is what the GA DOL says: Minors 14 and 15 years of age can work:

3 hours on a school day

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:57 pm I’m with you here. We’re not talking 7 year olds loading machines in a factory. If this is about teenagers not requiring parental consent to get a job, I don’t see how that’s a “child labor push”. Maybe I misunderstood what this is about..?
And what’s so ironic to me is that the same people who pushed for teens to not require parental consent for medical choices are the same people all up in arms about this. So a 15 year old girl can go and get an abortion without telling her parents but God forbid she can get a job at Taco Bell after school without her parents’ permission? Always the selective outrage.

3 hours on a school day

If they manage to convince Trump to remove 11 million people from the country, the labor will need to come from somewhere. They're also trying to dummy down education. Coincidence?
306/232

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic