What's up with this child labor push?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Della wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:29 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:57 pm I’m with you here. We’re not talking 7 year olds loading machines in a factory. If this is about teenagers not requiring parental consent to get a job, I don’t see how that’s a “child labor push”. Maybe I misunderstood what this is about..?
And what’s so ironic to me is that the same people who pushed for teens to not require parental consent for medical choices are the same people all up in arms about this. So a 15 year old girl can go and get an abortion without telling her parents but God forbid she can get a job at Taco Bell after school without her parents’ permission? Always the selective outrage.
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:49 pm Ok.. I read the article. I am trying to find an issue here. There should be regulations for employers that employ children and teens that are 14-15 are still minors. Their parents should have the knowledge of the fact that they are employed so that they are appraised of the regulations imposed by their state and they can be followed. Here is what the GA DOL says: Minors 14 and 15 years of age can work:

3 hours on a school day
8 hours on a nonschool day
18 hours in a school week
40 hours in a nonschool week
Minors 14 and 15 years of age may:

Not work before 7:00 a.m.
Not work after 7:00 p.m. (extended to 9:00 p.m. June 1 through Labor Day)
Not work during normal school hours
Minors 14 or 15 years of age who do not attend school (home schooled, married, excused from school, etc.) are subject to the above restrictions. They MAY NOT WORK DURING THE HOURS THE LOCAL SCHOOL SYSTEM IS IN SESSION.

For 16-17 yo: Minors 16 and 17 years of age have no state or federal law work hour restrictions.

No minor under 16 years of age shall be permitted to work during the hours when public or private schools are in session unless said minor has completed senior high school or has been excused from attendance in school by a county or independent school system board of education in accordance with the general policies and regulations promulgated by the State Board of Education.

The rub is that GA does not allow anyone under 18 to drive between 12-5 am so employers also have to abide by that law.
My daughter is 15 and works at her karate dojo. She works 3 hours a day no more than 3 days a week. She is a junior instructor just like her older sister did while she was in HS.
I have no issue with there being regulations such as nobody under 18 is allowed to use certain equipment in a kitchen at a foodservice establishment. I think parents need to be aware of where their child is working just so they can make sure that they remain safe at work.
If they manage to convince Trump to remove 11 million people from the country, the labor will need to come from somewhere. They're also trying to dummy down education. Coincidence?
The children that are going to be most impacted by the easing of child labor laws are going to be migrant, undocumented, and children in poverty. Let's face it, the issue isn't little Freddie sneaking out the back door, jumping on his bike, and heading to his secret job at Pizza Hut so he has money for prom. Migrant and immigrant children are the ones that are being endangered and injured with this swath of recent violations. Also, minors are not required to be paid minimum wage, they aren't required benefits, and companies are not generally liable for injury or death on the job. Let that sink in. The agriculture industry has no maximum hours a minor can work in a day or a week.

The only entity that benefits from reducing child labor laws are businesses because it helps their profits. One only has to look at the PAC that is pushing state legislatures for these easing of restrictions - Koch operated and funded Americans for Prosperity.

And, the age of consent for medical treatment (medical body autonomy) ranges from 12-14 depending on the state. Advocates for abortion rights see an abortion as medical treatment and therefore are against raising the age of body autonomy only in the case of abortion. They feel that it is in the best interest of the child. Comparing it to easing of child labor laws is disingenuous.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:59 pm
Della wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:29 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:57 pm I’m with you here. We’re not talking 7 year olds loading machines in a factory. If this is about teenagers not requiring parental consent to get a job, I don’t see how that’s a “child labor push”. Maybe I misunderstood what this is about..?
And what’s so ironic to me is that the same people who pushed for teens to not require parental consent for medical choices are the same people all up in arms about this. So a 15 year old girl can go and get an abortion without telling her parents but God forbid she can get a job at Taco Bell after school without her parents’ permission? Always the selective outrage.

If they manage to convince Trump to remove 11 million people from the country, the labor will need to come from somewhere. They're also trying to dummy down education. Coincidence?
The children that are going to be most impacted by the easing of child labor laws are going to be migrant, undocumented, and children in poverty. Let's face it, the issue isn't little Freddie sneaking out the back door, jumping on his bike, and heading to his secret job at Pizza Hut so he has money for prom. Migrant and immigrant children are the ones that are being endangered and injured with this swath of recent violations. Also, minors are not required to be paid minimum wage, they aren't required benefits, and companies are not generally liable for injury or death on the job. Let that sink in. The agriculture industry has no maximum hours a minor can work in a day or a week.

The only entity that benefits from reducing child labor laws are businesses because it helps their profits. One only has to look at the PAC that is pushing state legislatures for these easing of restrictions - Koch operated and funded Americans for Prosperity.

And, the age of consent for medical treatment (medical body autonomy) ranges from 12-14 depending on the state. Advocates for abortion rights see an abortion as medical treatment and therefore are against raising the age of body autonomy only in the case of abortion. They feel that it is in the best interest of the child. Comparing it to easing of child labor laws is disingenuous.
This is for the children who fall through the cracks, in other words.

False equivalents are all some have.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Pretty sure this is still how it is here in TX. DD was working at 15 (I did too) and had limited hours. No one had to sign anything for either of us to work.
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:49 pm Ok.. I read the article. I am trying to find an issue here. There should be regulations for employers that employ children and teens that are 14-15 are still minors. Their parents should have the knowledge of the fact that they are employed so that they are appraised of the regulations imposed by their state and they can be followed. Here is what the GA DOL says: Minors 14 and 15 years of age can work:

3 hours on a school day

Minors 14 or 15 years of age who do not attend school (home schooled, married, excused from school, etc.) are subject to the above restrictions. They MAY NOT WORK DURING THE HOURS THE LOCAL SCHOOL SYSTEM IS IN SESSION.

For 16-17 yo: Minors 16 and 17 years of age have no state or federal law work hour restrictions.

No minor under 16 years of age shall be permitted to work during the hours when public or private schools are in session unless said minor has completed senior high school or has been excused from attendance in school by a county or independent school system board of education in accordance with the general policies and regulations promulgated by the State Board of Education.

The rub is that GA does not allow anyone under 18 to drive between 12-5 am so employers also have to abide by that law.
My daughter is 15 and works at her karate dojo. She works 3 hours a day no more than 3 days a week. She is a junior instructor just like her older sister did while she was in HS.
I have no issue with there being regulations such as nobody under 18 is allowed to use certain equipment in a kitchen at a foodservice establishment. I think parents need to be aware of where their child is working just so they can make sure that they remain safe at work.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

3 hours on a school day

It's more about this than parental consent:
Evers said he vetoed the bill because he objected to eliminating a process that ensures children are protected from employers who may exploit them or subject them to dangerous conditions. Republicans don’t have the votes to override the veto.
There has been a surge in child labor violations and this bill would have made it easier for employers to skirt the rules. But hey, it's all about that bottom line. Workers want fair pay and good conditions so we hire kids rather than ponying up some extra dollars.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mrsjules79 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:16 am Pretty sure this is still how it is here in TX. DD was working at 15 (I did too) and had limited hours. No one had to sign anything for either of us to work.

3 hours on a school day

Here, parents and the school have to sign off in order for a minor under 16 to work. I've had to do it for both of my girls. I had to provide either a report card or a homeschool declaration of intent to the Department of Labor. I had to sign as their parent and their school on the paperwork.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"Now a Florida-based think tank and its lobbying arm, the Opportunity Solutions Project is working to put children back to work. The FGA frames its child worker bills as part of a larger debate surrounding parental rights, including in education and childcare. But the state-by-state campaigns, the group’s leader said, help the FGA create openings to deconstruct larger government regulations.

And the FGA is making progress. In a tight labor market where finding adults to perform low skill labor for low wages becomes difficult, children are being recruited to fill the void in the labor force.

The Labor Department has seen a 69 percent increase in minors employed in violation of federal law since 2018, officials reported. Between 2018 and 2022, federal regulators opened cases for 4,144 child labor violations covering 15,462 youth workers, according to federal data.

Some Republican lawmakers have supported putting children to work as a way for them to build character, learn about money management and develop a solid work ethic. Employers may argue that relaxing child labor laws would allow for more flexibility in their hiring practices and will benefit the economy."

https://www.tpr.org/podcast/the-source/ ... in-the-u-s
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:42 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:32 pm So for the record…

It’s wrong to employ children in what should be an adult’s job, right?
What do you see as an “adults job?” I see nothing wrong with teenagers working, as long as it’s properly regulated to ensure they are paid fairly and work under safe conditions that don’t impede their education.
Anything dangerous.

I don’t really care if a 15 year old works at Baskin Robbin, but if they’re working at Tyson chicken with machines that could easily kill them, I’d think that’s a severely immoral company…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:40 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:32 pm So for the record…

It’s wrong to employ children in what should be an adult’s job, right?
What do you see as an “adults job?” I see nothing wrong with teenagers working, as long as it’s properly regulated to ensure they are paid fairly and work under safe conditions that don’t impede their education.
Anything dangerous.

I don’t really care if a 15 year old works at Baskin Robbin, but if they’re working at Tyson chicken with machines that could easily kill them, I’d think that’s a severely immoral company…
What do you think about US farmers?

Agricultural is the deadliest industry for child workers and 1000s are injured on farms every year.

Under US labor law, children as young as 12 can work unlimited hours on farms of any size with parental permission, as long as they do not miss school.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:16 pm

Anything dangerous.

Agricultural is the deadliest industry for child workers and 1000s are injured on farms every year.

Under US labor law, children as young as 12 can work unlimited hours on farms of any size with parental permission, as long as they do not miss school.
Are you asking me for any other reason Besides the fact that I live in Arkansas and you think you already know what my opinion would be?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:35 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:16 pm

Anything dangerous.

Are you asking me for any other reason Besides the fact that I live in Arkansas and you think you already know what my opinion would be?
No. I know you're not a farmer. I'm asking you because rightly, you are greatly offended by companies (or their contractors) that have broken child labor laws and children have been hurt. You have taken this to mean that these companies are immoral which as I said in the other thread, companies don't have morals, they are just interested in profits. If, as you proclaim, they are in fact immoral for subjecting 15 year olds to dangerous machinery, then what about farmers? Or are these companies immoral for breaking labor law not for subjecting children to dangerous machinery?

These laws are in place throughout the country, not just Arkansas, so I'm not sure what you living in Arkansas has to do with it and I have no opinion what your opinion on child labor laws regarding agricultural is as I don't think you've ever posted it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic