Irresponsible dog owners

Anonymous 1

Unread post

We have a 30 lb dog who is terrified of other dogs. He's not violent towards them he just runs to dd to be picked up while barking at the dog. He used to be afraid if he could see one at all but we've worked with him a lot and now as long as they aren't in his space he's fine. No big deal we just avoid dog parks and off leash areas with this dog.
We're camping and we made sure they had a leash rule before we came. They do. Since we got here yesterday evening we've had 4 dogs run up and raid his space. Dd (she's a teenager not a little kid and he's her dog) picks him up each time because he's ok if he's being held. None of the dogs owners even noticed. None of the dogs came when we were finally able to get their owners attention and they were called. Every owner was aware of the leash rule but didn't think they needed to follow it. 2 of the dogs were in our space as in almost touching our tent.
Am I wrong to take this dog to leash only areas when he doesn't like other dogs in his space?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

My daughter is covered in scratches from one of these dogs jumping on her trying to play with her dog.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I hate it when people think that leash laws don't or shouldn't apply to their dogs. It is so incredibly entitled.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You should be able to bring your dog to leashed dog areas without worrying about unleashed dogs. Unfortunately, we camp often and what you’re describing is extremely common. People think that the rule is just for the liability and that since they are in the woods, it’s fine to have their dog off leash if they are friendly. They also know the rule is hard to enforce since it’s not like there’s an employee sitting among all the campsites. So while you shouldn’t have to and it’s not fair to you, I’d recommend only taking them to more remote sites where you are extremely unlikely to see others camps or leave the dog at home. It just wouldn’t be worth the risk to me.

Another thing to consider is we carry a very loud horn. Our dogs do well with others, but we still have it on hand in case a less friendly dog wanders into our site. I’d say get one and if a dog comes running up, blow it. And if the owners complain, say well my dogs not friendly and yours is supposed to be on leash.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:58 pm You should be able to bring your dog to leashed dog areas without worrying about unleashed dogs. Unfortunately, we camp often and what you’re describing is extremely common. People think that the rule is just for the liability and that since they are in the woods, it’s fine to have their dog off leash if they are friendly. They also know the rule is hard to enforce since it’s not like there’s an employee sitting among all the campsites. So while you shouldn’t have to and it’s not fair to you, I’d recommend only taking them to more remote sites where you are extremely unlikely to see others camps or leave the dog at home. It just wouldn’t be worth the risk to me.

Another thing to consider is we carry a very loud horn. Our dogs do well with others, but we still have it on hand in case a less friendly dog wanders into our site. I’d say get one and if a dog comes running up, blow it. And if the owners complain, say well my dogs not friendly and yours is supposed to be on leash.
The horn is a great idea.
Sadly we've ran into this more in remote areas because people go oh I didn't know anyone else was out here.
This is a private campground and the owners have been circling in a side by side all day. But they haven't said anything to anyone.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Those other dog owners are wrong. If it's leash only then it's leash only. It doesn't matter if Fido "just wants to play" or "is so friendly" or whatever else excuse bad dog owners give. Leash laws and leash rules are for everyone's safety.

I have a 40lb dog who doesn't like other dogs. We got her as a rescue later in life and she just was never really socialized with other dogs. When we take her for walks in the park and such and see other dogs coming our way we take a wide path around so our dog doesn't come nose to nose with the other dog. If we do that then she barks a bit but is fine and we have her under control. If we were in a situation like yours we would have to be that person and say something to the campground owners/managers because there is no way we could have random dogs wandering into our space off leash and not have an issue.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:02 pm Those other dog owners are wrong. If it's leash only then it's leash only. It doesn't matter if Fido "just wants to play" or "is so friendly" or whatever else excuse bad dog owners give. Leash laws and leash rules are for everyone's safety.

I have a 40lb dog who doesn't like other dogs. We got her as a rescue later in life and she just was never really socialized with other dogs. When we take her for walks in the park and such and see other dogs coming our way we take a wide path around so our dog doesn't come nose to nose with the other dog. If we do that then she barks a bit but is fine and we have her under control. If we were in a situation like yours we would have to be that person and say something to the campground owners/managers because there is no way we could have random dogs wandering into our space off leash and not have an issue.
I ended up telling the owners I only brought him because I read there was a leash rule and if there wasn't I would have left him home and they said oh yeah there is let me get the leash. At one point our dog and this dog were like 5 ft apart and that was fine our dog laid down and took a nap. But then their kid let it off the leash again and it came running at our dog yet again and that's not ok.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

People suck.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My dogs are always leashed. My one doesn't like other dogs and will also one million percent take off after a squirrel, bunny, etc. The other thinks all attention should be on him 24/7 and won't hesitate to climb in a stranger's lap for pets.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:38 am My dogs are always leashed. My one doesn't like other dogs and will also one million percent take off after a squirrel, bunny, etc. The other thinks all attention should be on him 24/7 and won't hesitate to climb in a stranger's lap for pets.
Thank you! My dogs are only off leash at home while I'm directly watching them. For all of their flaws they have amazing recall and don't bother the livestock we're surrounded by. We only have 1 neighbor within a mile radius of our house and maybe 2-3 cars a day drive down this road. The one neighbor has a dog that wanders but they love playing with him so that's not an issue.
Other than that they're always on leash too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic