Religious Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (REDI) Index

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:04 pm
Pjmm wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:47 am
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:06 am

1) starts unneeded arguments
2) takes attention away from work and into religion
3) we all know that all religions won’t be included because some religions are taboo
4) a lot of religions specifically don’t like each other and think the other one should burn in hell… Like super Christians and witches… while I’m all for people creating their own space for worship, when someone tells another person they’re going to burn in hell, they might get punched in the face. Bad business…
While I'm all for keeping religion out of the workplace I don't think it's possible. For example, Muslims pray throughout the day and fast for Ramadan. So do Jews for Yom Kippur and Catholics during Lent. My boss closed the office for Good Friday. One can't tell people not to pray during work hours or not wear scarves, hijab, etc. I'd tell my employees "unless someone is sacrificing a goat to fix the printer or cursing that client with voodoo, we're going to live and let live. We're going to let their practices and their choices be between them and the good Lord above. If you can't live and let live without pushing your religion this isn't the place for you."
What a person eats and wears doesn’t really have anything to do with the rest of the employee’s experiences at work… that should have no bearing and people should do what they want.

But even saying “the good lord above” is religion specific and can cause arguments.

When I was younger we were taught you don’t talk about religion, politics or S*x in the workplace… that’s your own personal beliefs and they don’t belong in the office. I tend to stick with that mentality.
I had the opposite of you as a kid. People judged everyone all the time for their religion. My mother faced it at her job. I faced it in school from Christian teachers. Some people don't care for Catholics especially in the seventies in the bible belt. Personally, I tired of it. So maybe "let the Good Lord handle it" isn't the best thing to say. I guess then I'd say, "we will all practice our religion unless someone oversteps. You are overstepping by saying 'they will go to hell.' In fact you don't know that for a fact. Cease and desist or go work for Hobby Lobby."

But we need to talk about religion now. It can't be ignored anymore. For example I work with a Muslim physical therapist on occasion. I might call his office to hear the receptionist say he's at prayer. I say fine and leave a message. Because Islam and prayer are important to him, so I respect that. Heck I knew someone that got into trouble with a Muslim client because he bought him a bottle of wine. She didn't know Muslims aren't supposed to drink. I just heard a TikTok where workers were talking about what day to take off for Eid. Idk what exactly Eid is but apparently Muslims need to worship on that day. I'm involved in scouting and recently we had to accommodate a Jewish troop that couldn't travel on the Sabbath. Or say you're a company and you want to have a picnic for your employers. In the south we like pig roasts but not everyone can eat pork. So one has an alternative. These are things that like it or not we have to accommodate in a diverse society.

I personally am not religious although I did like having Good Friday off. I don't have an issue with companies allowing religious practices at work so long as they don't interfere with other people, harm living things, or are illegal. I DO take exception when people judge others. So for that I would say, which is pretty much true in all religions including atheism: Don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:27 pm

While I'm all for keeping religion out of the workplace I don't think it's possible. For example, Muslims pray throughout the day and fast for Ramadan. So do Jews for Yom Kippur and Catholics during Lent. My boss closed the office for Good Friday. One can't tell people not to pray during work hours or not wear scarves, hijab, etc. I'd tell my employees "unless someone is sacrificing a goat to fix the printer or cursing that client with voodoo, we're going to live and let live. We're going to let their practices and their choices be between them and the good Lord above. If you can't live and let live without pushing your religion this isn't the place for you."
What a person eats and wears doesn’t really have anything to do with the rest of the employee’s experiences at work… that should have no bearing and people should do what they want.

But even saying “the good lord above” is religion specific and can cause arguments.

When I was younger we were taught you don’t talk about religion, politics or S*x in the workplace… that’s your own personal beliefs and they don’t belong in the office. I tend to stick with that mentality.
I had the opposite of you as a kid. People judged everyone all the time for their religion. My mother faced it at her job. I faced it in school from Christian teachers. Some people don't care for Catholics especially in the seventies in the bible belt. Personally, I tired of it. So maybe "let the Good Lord handle it" isn't the best thing to say. I guess then I'd say, "we will all practice our religion unless someone oversteps. You are overstepping by saying 'they will go to hell.' In fact you don't know that for a fact. Cease and desist or go work for Hobby Lobby."

But we need to talk about religion now. It can't be ignored anymore. For example I work with a Muslim physical therapist on occasion. I might call his office to hear the receptionist say he's at prayer. I say fine and leave a message. Because Islam and prayer are important to him, so I respect that. Heck I knew someone that got into trouble with a Muslim client because he bought him a bottle of wine. She didn't know Muslims aren't supposed to drink. I just heard a TikTok where workers were talking about what day to take off for Eid. Idk what exactly Eid is but apparently Muslims need to worship on that day. I'm involved in scouting and recently we had to accommodate a Jewish troop that couldn't travel on the Sabbath. Or say you're a company and you want to have a picnic for your employers. In the south we like pig roasts but not everyone can eat pork. So one has an alternative. These are things that like it or not we have to accommodate in a diverse society.

I personally am not religious although I did like having Good Friday off. I don't have an issue with companies allowing religious practices at work so long as they don't interfere with other people, harm living things, or are illegal. I DO take exception when people judge others. So for that I would say, which is pretty much true in all religions including atheism: Don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you.
All that these DEI programs at corporations and universities are for is to educate students/employees on differences so they can be kinder, more accommodating, and more inclusive. You've been practicing DEI in real life because you are a kind person and recognize that someone being different and having different needs doesn't somehow take away from your person or your needs.

ETA: I honestly don't understand the evolution of language and where terms like "woke", DEI, CRT suddenly took a turn to mean something nefarious when previously it was just awareness and inclusion. I really don't and would love someone on the right to explain it to me in simple terms.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:53 pm All that these DEI programs at corporations and universities are for is to educate students/employees on differences so they can be kinder, more accommodating, and more inclusive. You've been practicing DEI in real life because you are a kind person and recognize that someone being different and having different needs doesn't somehow take away from your person or your needs.

ETA: I honestly don't understand the evolution of language and where terms like "woke", DEI, CRT suddenly took a turn to mean something nefarious when previously it was just awareness and inclusion. I really don't and would love someone on the right to explain it to me in simple terms.
My observation is these concepts have been demonized to fuel a "grievance" mentality. The mindset of zero-sum, so if someone somewhere is getting anything, it must mean it is taken from someone else. This allows people (voters) who feel less than satisfied with their lot in life to blame an "other" group for getting any consideration, rather than see larger economic forces that may be unfair as the problem.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I would fully agree that anyone should get any religious day off that they need…

But bringing religion INTO the workplace is what can cause problems…

It’s great to say do unto other as you would have done to you… but serious Christian’s would say “ I would want them to try and save my soul” . Meaning, “thou shall not suffer a witch to live”. The way to save the soul of the others is to tell them they are going to burn in hell for their religion, or their sexuality…

Muslims and Jewish people aren’t liking each other right now, their religions aren’t meshing well right now.

Chinese folk religionists aren’t getting along with Tibetan Buddhists right now…

Some religions literally don’t mix well because they’ve gone to war so often, and in recent memories…

It’s just a distraction that can lead to problems to have religion in the workplace…
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:53 pm

All that these DEI programs at corporations and universities are for is to educate students/employees on differences so they can be kinder, more accommodating, and more inclusive. You've been practicing DEI in real life because you are a kind person and recognize that someone being different and having different needs doesn't somehow take away from your person or your needs.

What do you think Muslims need to learn about Jewish people to be kinder?
What are southern baptists going to learn about Witchcraft to make them go against their own religion ( which tells them not to suffer a witch to live) and accept it as a wonderful religion?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:41 pm

What are southern baptists going to learn about Witchcraft to make them go against their own religion ( which tells them not to suffer a witch to live) and accept it as a wonderful religion?
In the workplace, t's about learning that holy days for Muslims and Jews are just as meaningful as holy days for Christians, that dietary constraints that may seem annoying are sometimes religious based, that fasting is part of some religious cultures and during periods of fasting, workers can become less productive and even cranky, it's about giving people time and space to worship even when it doesn't make sense or is different from your own religion, it's about understanding that hand washing can be as much about religious practice as hygiene, and it's just about being aware that one's mindset is based on a whole host of cultural influences including religion and may be different from your co-worker. It's not about trying to convert or trying to rate one religion as superior to another but rather to understand that every religion has their ways of worship, their holy days, and even dietary constraints and every employee should be aware of these with regards to their co-worker. At the VERY least, management of the company should be aware and work to being equitable in their treatment.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:02 pm

In the workplace, t's about learning that holy days for Muslims and Jews are just as meaningful as holy days for Christians, that dietary constraints that may seem annoying are sometimes religious based, that fasting is part of some religious cultures and during periods of fasting, workers can become less productive and even cranky, it's about giving people time and space to worship even when it doesn't make sense or is different from your own religion, it's about understanding that hand washing can be as much about religious practice as hygiene, and it's just about being aware that one's mindset is based on a whole host of cultural influences including religion and may be different from your co-worker. It's not about trying to convert or trying to rate one religion as superior to another but rather to understand that every religion has their ways of worship, their holy days, and even dietary constraints and every employee should be aware of these with regards to their co-worker. At the VERY least, management of the company should be aware and work to being equitable in their treatment.
I feel like that’s all politically correct, but that’s an outsiders view of both religions.

Jewish people know what Muslims eat, how they pray and what their beliefs are… Muslims know all the same about Jewish people.
Their problems with each other are on an entirely different level than the above politically correct statements have room for.

We’re kind of coming at this in a Kum ba yah sort of way while they’re having problems with each other’s religions that is right now killing people… it’s sort of naive to think that as outsiders, we would be the ones teaching them how to be nice to each other.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:21 pm

I feel like that’s all politically correct, but that’s an outsiders view of both religions.

Jewish people know what Muslims eat, how they pray and what their beliefs are… Muslims know all the same about Jewish people.
Their problems with each other are on an entirely different level than the above politically correct statements have room for.

We’re kind of coming at this in a Kum ba yah sort of way while they’re having problems with each other’s religions that is right now killing people… it’s sort of naive to think that as outsiders, we would be the ones teaching them how to be nice to each other.
You do know that people of different faiths work together? Salesforce has had Faithforce in operation since 2017 so it must work for them.

Faithforce is employee led so who is the outsider?

Interfaith organizations have existed in the US since the 19th century. Why do you feel that adults can't meet and speak about their faith with others of different faith or no faith respectfully?
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:12 am

You do know that people of different faiths work together? Salesforce has had Faithforce in operation since 2017 so it must work for them.

Interfaith organizations have existed in the US since the 19th century. Why do you feel that adults can't meet and speak about their faith with others of different faith or no faith respectfully?
Of course I do…

But I also think it’s important to keep religion out of the workplace, because it can lead to problems.

And they are problems that we are not equipped to fix. They are problems that we don’t really have the right to insert ourselves into the conversation when it comes to how they should act and feel…

Why do I feel this way? Because I can see it…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:27 am
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:12 am

Of course I do…

But I also think it’s important to keep religion out of the workplace, because it can lead to problems.

And they are problems that we are not equipped to fix. They are problems that we don’t really have the right to insert ourselves into the conversation when it comes to how they should act and feel…

Why do I feel this way? Because I can see it…
How does one completely keep their religion out of the workplace and conversations with their co-workers and managers?

And 219 Fortune 500 companies disagree with you😅
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic