This is so unfair to my dd I am pissed

Kookookrazy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I'm so upset at this lady at this school I really don't know what to do at this point!

Dd came home from school a couple days ago crying because she feels she is failing in her math class. I didn't know she was struggling with the college algebra course but she told me she was. She said she can't retain the information and studying isn't helping because as soon as she gets tested her mind goes blank and she can't remember anything. I too struggle with Algebra so I totally get it. Dd professor told her to speak to her advisor and the advisor told her to apply for disability accommodations for her classes.
I applied for dd online and submitted her last iep called an exit iep and i also sent in a MDR which is basically a battery of tests including an iq test, her history of autism and her school accommodations throughout the years.

They rejected the documents THREE times!! I got frustrated and emailed the lady back basically saying WTF is your problem? I sent in EVERYTHING that I have regarding her disability. I have no other proof ! Would you like a blood sample? We moved to Vegas at the tail end of her junior year I don't have access to older records when we lived in nyc .

The website clearly states they would accept a doctor note, examination etc as proof of disability. I sent her whole darn medical history and they're saying its not enough . I called the office earlier and explained it to this lady she agreed with me but said she's not in charge of accepting the documents this other lady is and she's the one blocking it.

Well I dug through my emails even more and found an older iep that listed her accommodations and the lady on the phone said great send that in it should be accepted.

Well the lady who blocked it just emailed dd back ...a 2 page email basically saying dd doesn't qualify for any disability accommodations because her exit iep stated she's a "straight A exemplary student " in general education and she said dd got straight A's her last semester at their college and she can't get her math requirement waived for having autism because she has proven she is capable of college level courses and blah blah blah . She also mentioned that disrespect towards her will not be tolerated .

I feel like this is discrimination because who cares if she typically get straight A's she still has a disability that affects her ability to retain algebraic formulas. Im so upset because I feel like dd may not graduate because she won't be able to pass math with the disability accommodations she could be accommodated with a calculator and more test time and she's being blocked from that because of this lady.

I I just told dd we may be sh** out of luck the semester is almost over I told her eat, breathe and sh** math until the semester ends hopefully the professor will see that you are trying feel pity for you and give you a C. She is spending tomorrow at the math lab .

I don't know what else to say to this lady . She's discriminating right? A disability is a disability. Straight a's shouldn't be a roadblock to getting disability support services.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Sorry but no that's not discrimination. Autism isn't a free pass to bypass whatever she's struggling with. She has proven she can handle college level courses she's going to be expected to take them. It doesn't seem like she struggled with high school math according to her iep so why would they need to accommodate her?
Does her school offer tutoring? Ds college has free tutoring for struggling students.
Also she should be handling this herself. You can guide her and show her where the documents are but she should be the one dealing with the college. You are setting her up for failure by expecting her to go directly from mommy doing everything to living on campus alone.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

People are just going to say you need to treat her like an adult. Which she is, correct? So other than asking you for the proper documents, I feel like DD should be the one working with whoever at the school to find out what is necessary to prove her disability, if it really truly is something that's affecting her performance in certain courses. If she in incapable of doing so, then maybe she shouldn't be at college. You talking/emailing the woman while having a hot temper doesn't help things, either. Stay out of it and let her deal with it.

Also, there may be several subjects that one could (maybe?) pass based on the teacher's "pity", but math is NOT one of them. You either know it or you don't, and numbers are numbers, and answers are right or wrong. Squeaking by is definitely not going to help her if she has to take a higher level math course and she has no clue what she's doing.

I don't know about the discrimination thing. That doesn't sound like discrimination to me, but maybe I'm clueless or missing something and other ladies could give more insight.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No, she isn’t discriminating, and her reasons are blah, blah, blah. I have two kids with plans, one who has hearing loss and one who has adhd. You have to have documentation that the disability is causing her to be unable to succeed. Lots of people struggle with algebra, you said you as was well, having autism alone doesn’t dismiss her from having to take the course if her IEP and past academics show that she is able to learn at her grade level and her autism has not impacted her academics. It’s just like how my kids perform well academically so I can’t demand further accommodations every time that they don’t do well unless I can point it to a specific documented part of their diagnosis.

That doesn’t mean that her autism doesn’t impact her ability to retain math, but you would need to go through the documentation process to have that evaluated by professionals, she can’t just take your word for it if all of her documentation says that she does have autism but performs well with no past issues in math. And she is also absolutely right that abusive language will not be tolerated. It’s the same as with your kids, if you can’t have discussions of your issue civilly without blowing up, it is not going to get you far at all.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I'm so sorry as I know that this must be frustrating for you and your DD. Be respectful in your communication with the school no matter how difficult that may be. I would write an apologetic email to smooth some feathers.

Find out what immediately can be done. Can you DD drop the class and retake in the Fall? Can she take a lower level math class to fulfill the math requirements. If unable to drop, can she have simple accommodations in the class such as longer test time, use of a calculator, etc. If she must remain in the class, what are going to be the ramifications of failure to pass? If she is tested and found to have a math learning disability, can the math requirement be waived?

I would have your daughter update her psycho-educational testing (recommended every three years) and the university probably has a testing center where she can do that. You're in Las Vegas and UNLV Psychological and Testing Center provides this service at low to no cost. If you daughter isn't having difficulties in any other of her classes except for Math, they can specifically do testing for a math disability such as dyscalculia. 6% of the population has dyscalculia and it sounds as if your daughter may have that disability.

I don't think that the University is being discriminatory but sometimes they fail to look beyond an IEP or academic history and really, with 1000s of students, it does become kind of formulaic out of necessity. Universities also want to maintain high graduation rates so they are incentivized to have measurable student success so there's that going in your favor!

Good luck.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Idk what her IEP states. She should be getting the accommodations that are stated within it. For example, using a calculator or being able to use written formulas. If there's extra time for tests I believe the professor has to accommodate that. My son doesn't use his IEP in college by his choice so I don't know all the rules. But if college algebra is required for her major then that's not discrimination. Your daughter may want to make the college professor aware of the IEP or get tutoring. She can also drop if it's not too late and try remedial algebra, which I did. I changed majors in part so I wouldn't have to deal with statistics so I get it. But it's only discrimination if they're not following the accommodations in the IEP.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Without getting into the disability accommodations, doesn’t her college offer free tutor services? I mean if she isn’t getting the grades, she may need to go as much as possible.

Tutoring saved my statistics grade. I passed with a C and was/am damn proud of it.
Kookookrazy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:32 pm Sorry but no that's not discrimination. Autism isn't a free pass to bypass whatever she's struggling with. She has proven she can handle college level courses she's going to be expected to take them. It doesn't seem like she struggled with high school math according to her iep so why would they need to accommodate her?
Does her school offer tutoring? Ds college has free tutoring for struggling students.
Also she should be handling this herself. You can guide her and show her where the documents are but she should be the one dealing with the college. You are setting her up for failure by expecting her to go directly from mommy doing everything to living on campus alone.
It violates the ADA. It says right on the ada website that past academic success does not negate the need for lawful accommodations. Dd was in remedial math the past 2 years so she is very behind. In NYC she was not in remedial math courses she was in general education and she was passing but she also had a personal para who was helping her in the school when we moved to vegas they just placed her in remedial math even when i told them not to.Dd told me it was baby math and they just didnt bother to accomodate her so she missed 2 years of highschool algebra.
Kookookrazy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:47 am Without getting into the disability accommodations, doesn’t her college offer free tutor services? I mean if she isn’t getting the grades, she may need to go as much as possible.

Tutoring saved my statistics grade. I passed with a C and was/am damn proud of it.
Yes they offèr tutoring and I took her there but she says it doesnt help she cant remembered the formulas during tests. If she got disability services she could use her notes and/or a calculator but the disability lady in charge is saying she doesnt need disability services which is out of line.That is her opinion but it is not a fact and it actually violates the law which i just found out.
Kookookrazy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:37 am Idk what her IEP states. She should be getting the accommodations that are stated within it. For example, using a calculator or being able to use written formulas. If there's extra time for tests I believe the professor has to accommodate that. My son doesn't use his IEP in college by his choice so I don't know all the rules. But if college algebra is required for her major then that's not discrimination. Your daughter may want to make the college professor aware of the IEP or get tutoring. She can also drop if it's not too late and try remedial algebra, which I did. I changed majors in part so I wouldn't have to deal with statistics so I get it. But it's only discrimination if they're not following the accommodations in the IEP.
They do not follow IEP's in college.There is no more IEP's when you finish highschool colleges are supposed to provide accommodations for disabled students though which dd is being denied.I did some research and the lady is definitely wrong.It says in the ADA that past academic success does not negate the need for accommodations. Yes dd get good grades but it takes a toll on her mental health remember she was in and out of the hospital throughout middle school and her first 2 years of highschool since 7th grade she said she felt pressure to succeed academically which she did not get from me that is a personal thing with her.Idk why she feels the need to get straight A's in everything but she does and she burnsout and it sends her spiraling.She had a breakdown 2 weeks ago over Art class because she feels her drawings arent good and the professor singled her out I didnt even know she felt that way until I went in her room and found her crying.I had to tell her its okay to get a C ans just get through the course I told her she isn't going to get A's throughout college and your goal is just to pass the class and get the credit.

You can get disabilty accommodations for Anxiety and Depression in college as well .I didnt even know that but yes its true its considered a disability.DD19 has a history of Autism AND depression/anxiety /multiple hospitalizations so I find it absurd that i provided this lady all of this information and she still denied my dd disability accommodations because " she was in gen ed getting straight A's" That statement directly violates the ADA .I posted about this in a disability group and they said I can sue her for this and get her and the school in trouble .

Im trying not to take it that far.I emailed her back and im awaiting a response if she still says no Im going to let her know that I'm filing an ADA complaint.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic