This is so unfair to my dd I am pissed

Anonymous 1

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:38 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:28 am What formulas does she need go memorize for algebra? Maybe someone knows a trick for remembering each one. My 8th grader is taking algebra and there's not a lot to memorize formula wise but I'm not sure if it's different at college level. It's mostly just the pythagorean theorem, area and diameter of a circle, and order of operations. Is she struggling with memorizing those or putting them into practice? Has she tried a website like math antics that explains it in a different way? Has she tried a tutor?
No - it’s not any different in college or at least not mine(graduated last year). I only had to remember how to do the formulas not memorize any of it. I have to admit that I’m slightly intrigued at this post the more I read it - to say the least.
That's what I thought so how is she struggling to memorize formulas and failing the class when there's no formulas to memorize? Something isn't adding up.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Kookookrazy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:38 pm I dont have to get out of anything I am advocating for my child.I never said her autism gives her a free pass to do anything .My child cant advocate for herself thats why im here if that lady said what she said to dd than dd will just accept it but I'm not doing that.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:18 pm
Kookookrazy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:17 am

It violates the ADA. It says right on the ada website that past academic success does not negate the need for lawful accommodations. Dd was in remedial math the past 2 years so she is very behind. In NYC she was not in remedial math courses she was in general education and she was passing but she also had a personal para who was helping her in the school when we moved to vegas they just placed her in remedial math even when i told them not to.Dd told me it was baby math and they just didnt bother to accomodate her so she missed 2 years of highschool algebra.
Autism doesn't mean she needs help in math. Is there any diagnosis that shows she needs help with math? It's not against Ada if she isn't diagnosed and they don't have to give her an a because it makes her feel bad if she doesn't get an a. It's reasonable accommodations not just a free pass.
I have an autistic kid and perfectionism and the pressure he puts on himself is something we've had to work hard to overcome. You just want everyone to bend the rules so your adult child never feels bad.
If she needs accommodations she needs to get the proper testing and documentation to get it. And you need to get out of it. You can help her figure out the steps but she needs to take them.
She really needs to start advocating for herself, whether by email if she can't speak up, or some other way. I get it, my son can't advocate for himself either. He can email though. But one day the college will say lady she's an adult and it's her business now. Meanwhile if she can drop maybe she should and take remedial alegbra courses. I had to do it in college because I didn't learn crap about algebra in high school. I think they might still have pre-alegbra courses. I'd have her talk to her counselor about her options for catching up if she missed alegbra in high school.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:26 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:28 am What formulas does she need go memorize for algebra? Maybe someone knows a trick for remembering each one. My 8th grader is taking algebra and there's not a lot to memorize formula wise but I'm not sure if it's different at college level. It's mostly just the pythagorean theorem, area and diameter of a circle, and order of operations. Is she struggling with memorizing those or putting them into practice? Has she tried a website like math antics that explains it in a different way? Has she tried a tutor?
No - it’s not any different in college or at least not mine(graduated last year). I only had to remember how to do the formulas not memorize any of it. I have to admit that I’m slightly intrigued at this post the more I read it - to say the least.
That's what I thought so how is she struggling to memorize formulas and failing the class when there's no formulas to memorize? Something isn't adding up.
I always had to memorize formulas. We weren't given sheets with them on it.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I repeatedly failed algebra.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

😂😂😂

“Something isn’t adding up.”

I am a little sleep-deprived and get a little silly when I am - but that pun made me giggle.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:35 pm

But algebra doesn't typically involve many formulas. That's higher level math where those come into play.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:18 am

But algebra doesn't typically involve many formulas. That's higher level math where those come into play.
It does not have many but does have a few. In algebra if your mind goes blank and you need to apply the Quadratic Equation then you would be in trouble, same goes for calculating the missing side or angle of a triangle, given only two numbers and the triangle is not a right angle - hence the SOH, CAH, TOA. I do not imagine that the OP's daughters is doing log laws but you would have them as well.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:41 am

It does not have many but does have a few. In algebra if your mind goes blank and you need to apply the Quadratic Equation then you would be in trouble, same goes for calculating the missing side or angle of a triangle, given only two numbers and the triangle is not a right angle - hence the SOH, CAH, TOA. I do not imagine that the OP's daughters is doing log laws but you would have them as well.
There are a few which is why I was asking her what formulas she was having a hard time memorizing. There tricks out there to help and there aren't that many in algebra certainly not log laws. And math antics visually explains why the 3 angles of a triangle equal 180 degrees so that would make it much easier to understand.
I'm wondering if she has tried any resources before jumping to accomidations.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:08 am
highlandmum wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:41 am

There are a few which is why I was asking her what formulas she was having a hard time memorizing. There tricks out there to help and there aren't that many in algebra certainly not log laws. And math antics visually explains why the 3 angles of a triangle equal 180 degrees so that would make it much easier to understand.
I'm wondering if she has tried any resources before jumping to accomidations.
I wonder as well. That being said, I had a blond moment and stated that SOH, CAH, TOA was for none right angled triangles when I should have side for right angle triangles

My children knew a song for the Quadratic Equation . As you said there are tricks to it. I am wondering if it's not so much the formulas but the application and understanding the rules of factoring. If you do not understand factoring in algebra you are screwed.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Math.....😳

Sit at the sideline, Kookoo, and let your daughter take care of this. It will be the best thing for her. 💕
just an old coot 😉🌵
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic