This is so unfair to my dd I am pissed

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Kookookrazy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:17 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:32 pm Sorry but no that's not discrimination. Autism isn't a free pass to bypass whatever she's struggling with. She has proven she can handle college level courses she's going to be expected to take them. It doesn't seem like she struggled with high school math according to her iep so why would they need to accommodate her?
Does her school offer tutoring? Ds college has free tutoring for struggling students.
Also she should be handling this herself. You can guide her and show her where the documents are but she should be the one dealing with the college. You are setting her up for failure by expecting her to go directly from mommy doing everything to living on campus alone.
It violates the ADA. It says right on the ada website that past academic success does not negate the need for lawful accommodations. Dd was in remedial math the past 2 years so she is very behind. In NYC she was not in remedial math courses she was in general education and she was passing but she also had a personal para who was helping her in the school when we moved to vegas they just placed her in remedial math even when i told them not to.Dd told me it was baby math and they just didnt bother to accomodate her so she missed 2 years of highschool algebra.
Autism doesn't mean she needs help in math. Is there any diagnosis that shows she needs help with math? It's not against Ada if she isn't diagnosed and they don't have to give her an a because it makes her feel bad if she doesn't get an a. It's reasonable accommodations not just a free pass.
I have an autistic kid and perfectionism and the pressure he puts on himself is something we've had to work hard to overcome. You just want everyone to bend the rules so your adult child never feels bad.
If she needs accommodations she needs to get the proper testing and documentation to get it. And you need to get out of it. You can help her figure out the steps but she needs to take them.
Kookookrazy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I dont have to get out of anything I am advocating for my child.I never said her autism gives her a free pass to do anything .My child cant advocate for herself thats why im here if that lady said what she said to dd than dd will just accept it but I'm not doing that.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:18 pm
Kookookrazy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:17 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:32 pm Sorry but no that's not discrimination. Autism isn't a free pass to bypass whatever she's struggling with. She has proven she can handle college level courses she's going to be expected to take them. It doesn't seem like she struggled with high school math according to her iep so why would they need to accommodate her?
Does her school offer tutoring? Ds college has free tutoring for struggling students.
Also she should be handling this herself. You can guide her and show her where the documents are but she should be the one dealing with the college. You are setting her up for failure by expecting her to go directly from mommy doing everything to living on campus alone.
It violates the ADA. It says right on the ada website that past academic success does not negate the need for lawful accommodations. Dd was in remedial math the past 2 years so she is very behind. In NYC she was not in remedial math courses she was in general education and she was passing but she also had a personal para who was helping her in the school when we moved to vegas they just placed her in remedial math even when i told them not to.Dd told me it was baby math and they just didnt bother to accomodate her so she missed 2 years of highschool algebra.
Autism doesn't mean she needs help in math. Is there any diagnosis that shows she needs help with math? It's not against Ada if she isn't diagnosed and they don't have to give her an a because it makes her feel bad if she doesn't get an a. It's reasonable accommodations not just a free pass.
I have an autistic kid and perfectionism and the pressure he puts on himself is something we've had to work hard to overcome. You just want everyone to bend the rules so your adult child never feels bad.
If she needs accommodations she needs to get the proper testing and documentation to get it. And you need to get out of it. You can help her figure out the steps but she needs to take them.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

IEP's do not follow you to college. If she has proven capable, that's pretty much that and no, it's not discrimination. Get her a tutor.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

jas wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:44 pm IEP's do not follow you to college. If she has proven capable, that's pretty much that and no, it's not discrimination. Get her a tutor.
IEP's don't follow you but the diagnosis of Autism does. Autism is a disability and a university must provide accommodations.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Last post didn't get enough responses, huh?
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I have never understood the need to memorize formulas. I took a Steel Engineering course, and we had a ton of formulas to know. The prof gave us each formula, it was our job however to know how and when to use the correct one. His reason for giving us the formulas was that he does not memorize them, if he forgets one, or is unsure of one he just looks it up, so why should we have to memorize them.
He is correct, in that the important thing is to know when to use the correct one, or how to use the formula correctly.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

What formulas does she need go memorize for algebra? Maybe someone knows a trick for remembering each one. My 8th grader is taking algebra and there's not a lot to memorize formula wise but I'm not sure if it's different at college level. It's mostly just the pythagorean theorem, area and diameter of a circle, and order of operations. Is she struggling with memorizing those or putting them into practice? Has she tried a website like math antics that explains it in a different way? Has she tried a tutor?
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Worst case scenario, she takes the class again.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:28 am What formulas does she need go memorize for algebra? Maybe someone knows a trick for remembering each one. My 8th grader is taking algebra and there's not a lot to memorize formula wise but I'm not sure if it's different at college level. It's mostly just the pythagorean theorem, area and diameter of a circle, and order of operations. Is she struggling with memorizing those or putting them into practice? Has she tried a website like math antics that explains it in a different way? Has she tried a tutor?
No - it’s not any different in college or at least not mine(graduated last year). I only had to remember how to do the formulas not memorize any of it. I have to admit that I’m slightly intrigued at this post the more I read it - to say the least.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:38 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:28 am What formulas does she need go memorize for algebra? Maybe someone knows a trick for remembering each one. My 8th grader is taking algebra and there's not a lot to memorize formula wise but I'm not sure if it's different at college level. It's mostly just the pythagorean theorem, area and diameter of a circle, and order of operations. Is she struggling with memorizing those or putting them into practice? Has she tried a website like math antics that explains it in a different way? Has she tried a tutor?
No - it’s not any different in college or at least not mine(graduated last year). I only had to remember how to do the formulas not memorize any of it. I have to admit that I’m slightly intrigued at this post the more I read it - to say the least.
That’s how it should be. You should not need to memorize them just how to apply and use them. Most of the formulas I had to memorize have long been purged. If I needed them to help my child I just refreshed my memory by looking them up. One of the formulas that just won’t go away however is - SOH, CAH, TOA. That is just burned into memory for some reason
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic