Depressed but physically healthy Dutch woman will end her life by euthanasia

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nasia.html

Zoraya ter Beek, who lives in a small village in the Netherlands, will be 'freed' early next month, she has claimed. She will be euthanized on the sofa in her home with her boyfriend by her side.
Ter Beek decided she wanted to die after a psychiatrist told her 'there's nothing more we can do for you' and that 'it's never gonna get any better', The Free Press reported.

It is understood that a doctor will give her a sedative before administering a drug that will stop her heart.

Euthanasia has been legal in The Netherlands since 2002 for those experiencing 'unbearable suffering with no prospect of improvement'.

After ter Beek's death, a euthanasia review committee will evaluate her case to ensure the doctor adhered to all 'due care criteria' and if so, the Dutch government will declare her life was lawfully ended.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I agree with doctor assisted suicide for those experiencing 'unbearable suffering with no prospect of improvement'.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We should all get the option to end suffering and pass away peacefully surrounded by our loved ones.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

She is struggling with crippling depression, autism, and borderline personality disorder.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

But this new group is suffering from other syndromes—depression or anxiety exacerbated, they say, by economic uncertainty, the climate, social media, and a seemingly limitless array of fears and disappointments.

“I’m seeing euthanasia as some sort of acceptable option brought to the table by physicians, by psychiatrists, when previously it was the ultimate last resort,” Stef Groenewoud, a healthcare ethicist at Theological University Kampen, in the Netherlands, told me.

“I see the phenomenon especially in people with psychiatric diseases, and especially young people with psychiatric disorders, where the healthcare professional seems to give up on them more easily than before.”
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

There are days when I wish this was available in the US.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Are we supposed to be outraged by this?

She has significant mental health issues that therapy and meds haven't been able to address properly. I think she has a right to end her life on her terms. Why should anyone else have the right to tell her she can't do that if a legal method is available?
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:28 am Are we supposed to be outraged by this?

She has significant mental health issues that therapy and meds haven't been able to address properly. I think she has a right to end her life on her terms. Why should anyone else have the right to tell her she can't do that if a legal method is available?
Why would you be outraged?

I think it’s very sad…
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

In a way I am outraged because if our society gave a rats ass about people with mental illness and mental differences we wouldn't have as many people who would be better off dead than alive. We've structured our society around valuing only those people who can put in a hard days physical or mental workload and those who are incapable of putting in what we feel is acceptable are relegated to just existing if they don't have family who can financially support them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic