New car purchase - negotiation help

highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I am purchasing a new car next week. Now I know a lot of you are probably a little more firm and have some good tactics when dealing with the negotiation phase of the purchase. So far I have been given quite a few tips and am just wondering if any of you have used them, and if so did they work. Or do you have any additional tips/trick that you have use that have worked. So far I have received the following

1 - Do not go into negotiate, do everything via email or text
2 - Send your request to multiple dealerships up to the furthest you are willing to drive, and let them know that they are competing with multiple dealerships
3 - Ask for a itemized out the door price, on the dealerships official sales paper
4 - Do not let them know how you intend to pay, just keep saying I have not decided and will decide that once I have a out the door price
5 - Tell them that you intend to purchase the car within 24 to 48 hours of getting a acceptable offer
6 - Do not be afraid to ask about numbers you do not understand.

I hate this process. Finding and driving the cars is the fun part, this is too much work. My goal is to do this without DH to show him I can get a good deal.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

When I am car shopping I look online at the inventory that each dealer has on the lot already. I find a car or cars that fit my needs (model, year, color, extras) and look at the prices online to compare among dealerships. I try to buy from existing inventory since they are often paying to have those cars on hand and want to move them. I go at the end of the month, when they have incentive to make a little less on each car in order to make monthly sales quotas. I go during the week - not the weekend.

I go early in the morning when they open and make sure to bring snacks or lunch so I don't become hungry or tired and just want to settle and be done. Expect them to keep you waiting, drag it out, and have to "ask their manager" many times. Bring a book or some knitting so you don't get impatient. If you do get impatient ask the salesperson to send the manager out so you can talk to the person who has authority to make the deal. The less time they put into the transaction the more likely they are to accept less, make a smaller profit and more on. So wasting time is never good.

Stay calm, and be prepared to walk away if you aren't satisfied.

All of your list above are good points, I would add do not pay for extra rust proofing, security etching, or anything else they try to upsell at the end. Write down every offer they make, ask for document or other "fees" to be waived and write down every thing they agree to. You will often find a lot tacked on to the final bill and it helps to have your list that says what they agreed to waive.

Have you financing planned in advance so you have the funds to write a check when needed. I never finance, so can't help you on that.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:50 pm I am purchasing a new car next week. Now I know a lot of you are probably a little more firm and have some good tactics when dealing with the negotiation phase of the purchase. So far I have been given quite a few tips and am just wondering if any of you have used them, and if so did they work. Or do you have any additional tips/trick that you have use that have worked. So far I have received the following

1 - Do not go into negotiate, do everything via email or text
2 - Send your request to multiple dealerships up to the furthest you are willing to drive, and let them know that they are competing with multiple dealerships
3 - Ask for a itemized out the door price, on the dealerships official sales paper
4 - Do not let them know how you intend to pay, just keep saying I have not decided and will decide that once I have a out the door price
5 - Tell them that you intend to purchase the car within 24 to 48 hours of getting a acceptable offer
6 - Do not be afraid to ask about numbers you do not understand.

I hate this process. Finding and driving the cars is the fun part, this is too much work. My goal is to do this without DH to show him I can get a good deal.
I work for a car dealership (but I don't sell).
Yes, getting things in writing is a very good idea - some sales people are well, sales people.
The margin of profit on new cars is really slim but letting them know that you are looking at different dealerships can incentivize them to give you a discount.
We don't incentivize payment types but there are some places who do. They can offer to give a discount for financing but CAN NOT charge you more for paying cash. (I'm pretty sure you're in Ontario - OMVIC forbids that)
Yes, get an offer on official sales paper of the out the door price. If you have questions ask. If they seem sketchy or make you feel uncomfortable about asking questions WALK AWAY.

One thing you might want to ask about different brands is how much it is to service them (oil change, brakes etc.) There can be a huge difference between dealerships and brands and that few thousand bucks you "saved" could be eaten up pretty quickly in routine maintenance.

I haven't used any of those tricks but many of them do work. It depends on the climate and demand at the time. Right now a lot of dealerships are pretty incentivized to sell vehicles.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:15 pm When I am car shopping I look online at the inventory that each dealer has on the lot already. I find a car or cars that fit my needs (model, year, color, extras) and look at the prices online to compare among dealerships. I try to buy from existing inventory since they are often paying to have those cars on hand and want to move them. I go at the end of the month, when they have incentive to make a little less on each car in order to make monthly sales quotas. I go during the week - not the weekend.

I go early in the morning when they open and make sure to bring snacks or lunch so I don't become hungry or tired and just want to settle and be done. Expect them to keep you waiting, drag it out, and have to "ask their manager" many times. Bring a book or some knitting so you don't get impatient. If you do get impatient ask the salesperson to send the manager out so you can talk to the person who has authority to make the deal. The less time they put into the transaction the more likely they are to accept less, make a smaller profit and more on. So wasting time is never good.

All of your list above are good points, I would add do not pay for extra rust proofing, security etching, or anything else they try to upsell at the end. Write down every offer they make, ask for document or other "fees" to be waived and write down every thing they agree to. You will often find a lot tacked on to the final bill and it helps to have your list that says what they agreed to waive.

Have you financing planned in advance so you have the funds to write a check when needed. I never finance, so can't help you on that.
Yes! Don't buy the rustproofing, especially if it's a "module".
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:15 pm When I am car shopping I look online at the inventory that each dealer has on the lot already. I find a car or cars that fit my needs (model, year, color, extras) and look at the prices online to compare among dealerships. I try to buy from existing inventory since they are often paying to have those cars on hand and want to move them. I go at the end of the month, when they have incentive to make a little less on each car in order to make monthly sales quotas. I go during the week - not the weekend.

I have looked at what’s around. The colour I really want is unavailable at any dealership within a 1 hour drive. So it’s colour number 2 and 3. I refuse to pay for extras, all our cars get oil sprayed each year my current car is 11 years old 220,000 kn and not a spec of rust.

I just need to transfer funds from savings to the chequing account to pay. Reason I was told not to say how I am paying is if you say cash they won’t negotiate the best deal as they usually get a slight kickback from the interest rate.

I plan on trying the online negotiations.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We don't play negotiation games. Just tell us the price and we'll decide if we want it or not. And honestly, especially with new cars, I thought negotiation was a thing of the past. I thought most dealerships just price them what they are and that's that. But maybe I'm wrong.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:26 pm We don't play negotiation games. Just tell us the price and we'll decide if we want it or not. And honestly, especially with new cars, I thought negotiation was a thing of the past. I thought most dealerships just price them what they are and that's that. But maybe I'm wrong.
No there is a bit of room. I bit the bullet and sent everything out today. Got $2,500 off the price plus they added in the Interior Protection Package, which is another $500. So in total I got $3,000 of as I did want the protection package, I also got the colour I wanted, and I can have it by the weekend. Now I just got to figure out what to do with my old car, my DS's girlfriend want her dad to look at it so a trade in is out of the question right now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic