Does this seem odd to you?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My 16 year old is doing dual enrollment at the local college this year and they're being a pain about answering a billing question I have. I'm responsible for paying his tuition since he's under 18 and I have my own account where I can login and see his bills and pay them but I'm not allowed to ask what a charge is? I'll have him email them and ask but last time they wouldn't answer him either. Basically he has a $60 charge that they're giving me the run around about. It's not a class fee and books are free at his school.
They also initially charged him for 3 classes when he's only allowed to take 2 but they were able to talk to me about that and drop the charge for 1 class then apply the state scholarship they had neglected to credit for 1 other.
They're driving me crazy with this!
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

If you haven't done so and are able to, take a printed out copy of this bill and physically go to the college to talk with them in person.
just an old coot 😉🌵
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

They legally cannot tell you due to FERPA. He has to sign FERPA for them to legally speak to you. Period. I learned that the hard way when my kid was dual enrolled at the same age. She has FERPA signed now in college so we can talk to anyone at her university by law.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

They can't tell you due to FERPA but it is probably the "Rec center" fee so that he can use the rec center at his leisure. Colleges seem to charge all students the fee as a means to off set some of the athletic costs even though most students do not utilize the rec center and gym.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:59 am They legally cannot tell you due to FERPA. He has to sign FERPA for them to legally speak to you. Period. I learned that the hard way when my kid was dual enrolled at the same age. She has FERPA signed now in college so we can talk to anyone at her university by law.
He has signed it
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:20 am They can't tell you due to FERPA but it is probably the "Rec center" fee so that he can use the rec center at his leisure. Colleges seem to charge all students the fee as a means to off set some of the athletic costs even though most students do not utilize the rec center and gym.
He has signed it and the rec center is free. He has never been there but I saw that online.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I just looked at our local community college and here is the list of potential fees - and it's long. Community College is "free" for our county residents but includes only tuition and books. The additional fees listed below are not covered. The $60 charge is probably accurate but the school should be able to tell you exactly what it's for. If they can't, then I agree with the other poster who said go and discuss in person.

Other Fees:
Background Check Fee $50
Drug Testing Fee $50
Board of Governor’s AAS Degree (Portfolio Fee) $300
Board of Governor’s AAS Degree Posting Fee (Per Credit Hour) $10
Portfolio Evaluation Fee $300
Diploma Replacement Fee $25
ID Card Replacement Fee $5
Late Registration $50
Late Tuition Payment Fee $25
Orientation Fee (One time fee – 6 credit hours or more) $75
Parking Tickets $10
Placement Re-Take Testing Fee $10
Portfolio Posting Fee (Per Credit Hour) $10
Prior Learning Assessment Fee $35
Prior Learning Challenge Test Fee (Per test) $75
Prior Learning Portfolio Fee (Per Course) $75
Return Check Fee $25
Stop Check Payment Fee $35
Student Services Fee (Per Credit Hour – students taking 6 credit hours or more) $8
Technology Fee (Per Credit Hour – students taking 6 credit hours or more) $8
E-Transcript Fee (Ordered through the National Student Clearinghouse) $10
Transcript Mailed (Ordered through the National Student Clearinghouse) $7
Tuition Payment Plan (Per Semester) $10
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 1

Unread post

They finally answered me. It's a charge for accessing a website he never actually needed or used and was charged as a mistake. They say that there was an email sent out giving them the option to reverse the charge but either he never got it or it was overlooked in the chaos of trying to figure out how to navigate college classes and his broken collarbone.
Still seems ridiculous to me. Why not just reverse it when they discovered the mistake? Why did it have to be requested?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic