Question Regarding Solar Eclipse?

Anonymous 8

Unread post

Our schools will be closed. I’m using the opportunity to take DD to the dentist to get a few cavities filled and a tooth pulled. Now she doesn’t need to miss school another day to get it done.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Idk what the schools here are doing but probably are open. We're not in the path at all.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:28 pm
Anonymous 7 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:31 pm Don't know about the schools, but the banks, city offices, and a few small businesses will be closed, so I wouldn't be surprised if the schools close too . I have to be honest, though - I just don't get all the hullaballoo about this. It's an eclipse, we've had them before and we'll have them again. All this fuss for a ~5 minute event?? I get that we're in the path of totality, but still, why shut things down?
It’s simple projection in my are is for over 1 million visitors. Roads cannot handle it that is the reason businesses and schools are closing down. You cannot get a hotel room if you tried right now. I am just waiting for it to rain that day.
I don't understand people who keep saying "I hope it rains or is really cloudy and they can't see a thing." What kind of bitter person do you have to be to say that about something that's obviously really important to them and they invested both time and money to go see despite the crowds.
We drove the 2 hours to the path of totality Sunday evening no slow downs even. Drove back yesterday evening and the only slow down was where road work took the interstate from 3 lanes to 1. Even then it only took an extra 20 minutes to drive back. I filled up before we went and took all of our food so we didn't pull from local resources. We had clear skies thankfully so we had a great experience. And we camped at a winery that opened its property for people to stay at. We were fully prepared to stay last night if we needed to but we ended up leaving.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:33 am
Anonymous 7 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:31 pm Don't know about the schools, but the banks, city offices, and a few small businesses will be closed, so I wouldn't be surprised if the schools close too . I have to be honest, though - I just don't get all the hullaballoo about this. It's an eclipse, we've had them before and we'll have them again. All this fuss for a ~5 minute event?? I get that we're in the path of totality, but still, why shut things down?
It’s simple projection in my are is for over 1 million visitors. Roads cannot handle it that is the reason businesses and schools are closing down. You cannot get a hotel room if you tried right now. I am just waiting for it to rain that day.
I don't understand people who keep saying "I hope it rains or is really cloudy and they can't see a thing." What kind of bitter person do you have to be to say that about something that's obviously really important to them and they invested both time and money to go see despite the crowds.
We drove the 2 hours to the path of totality Sunday evening no slow downs even. Drove back yesterday evening and the only slow down was where road work took the interstate from 3 lanes to 1. Even then it only took an extra 20 minutes to drive back. I filled up before we went and took all of our food so we didn't pull from local resources. We had clear skies thankfully so we had a great experience. And we camped at a winery that opened its property for people to stay at. We were fully prepared to stay last night if we needed to but we ended up leaving.
You are misquoting me. I was not waiting for it to rain for people to be disappoint. But it usually goes without fail that when something like this is to happen, usually the weather does not cooperate.
You cannot predict Mother Nature. The reason I was waiting for rain that day was to see all the people complain about it. Heck I had someone say to me that "They would not allow it to rain or be cloudy on that day. They know how important it is for people" these are the people I was waiting on to then give a bad review to a city because it rained. I did want to see it but if it rained, so be it. I'm not going to be disappointed in it, it is life and you cannot control the weather.

I was in the path of totality. By the lake the area was inaccessible with everyone, the road were a mess with everyone heading in that direction. My neighbour lost two days work as they closed the office on Monday and Tuesday with the predicted traffic. You may think you were not pulling resources but to be honest it was a disruption to our everyday life.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:40 pm

You are misquoting me. I was not waiting for it to rain for people to be disappoint. But it usually goes without fail that when something like this is to happen, usually the weather does not cooperate.
You cannot predict Mother Nature. The reason I was waiting for rain that day was to see all the people complain about it. Heck I had someone say to me that "They would not allow it to rain or be cloudy on that day. They know how important it is for people" these are the people I was waiting on to then give a bad review to a city because it rained. I did want to see it but if it rained, so be it. I'm not going to be disappointed in it, it is life and you cannot control the weather.

I was in the path of totality. By the lake the area was inaccessible with everyone, the road were a mess with everyone heading in that direction. My neighbour lost two days work as they closed the office on Monday and Tuesday with the predicted traffic. You may think you were not pulling resources but to be honest it was a disruption to our everyday life.
It wasn't you as much as other people I've seen saying "I can't wait for it to be cloudy so they can't see it."
How did I disrupt the lives of those in the area? I went when roads weren't crowded, stayed where there was plenty of space, and left when roads were clear. I cannot control what others do or where the eclipse path was but I made sure to not be a problem. I didn't close your neighbors office. I did however pay the owners of the winery to stay on their property and I'm sure they're happy about the increased revenue.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:55 pm

It wasn't you as much as other people I've seen saying "I can't wait for it to be cloudy so they can't see it."
How did I disrupt the lives of those in the area? I went when roads weren't crowded, stayed where there was plenty of space, and left when roads were clear. I cannot control what others do or where the eclipse path was but I made sure to not be a problem. I didn't close your neighbors office. I did however pay the owners of the winery to stay on their property and I'm sure they're happy about the increased revenue.
How did it not disrupt. My neighbour lost two days work, we were told because of excessive traffic to stay off the road and either walk, bike or take public transit. No you directly did not close the office but indirectly did, as they deemed the excessive traffic an issue.

Our cities population is around 22,000 people and all of a sudden we have 500,000 extra people flocking into town because they think seeing this over the lake if a amazing idea. So we were told to stay away from public areas around the lake, but 500,000 non-residents can do it. We had people sitting on our dock and when we asked them to leave they made it seem like we were the bad ones. I would not have cared if there was a one family but to see over 20 people there, and no room for us. The only access to these areas is to cut across the private properties of residents. This is were is becomes a disruption.

Just because you are a nice person and trying to do the right thing does not mean that some people just did not give a damn.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Ours did nothing special. Some of the teachers have windows in their classroom so the kids looked out the window. It was rainy and cloudy here so there wasn't much to see.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:12 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:55 pm

How did it not disrupt. My neighbour lost two days work, we were told because of excessive traffic to stay off the road and either walk, bike or take public transit. No you directly did not close the office but indirectly did, as they deemed the excessive traffic an issue.

Our cities population is around 22,000 people and all of a sudden we have 500,000 extra people flocking into town because they think seeing this over the lake if a amazing idea. So we were told to stay away from public areas around the lake, but 500,000 non-residents can do it. We had people sitting on our dock and when we asked them to leave they made it seem like we were the bad ones. I would not have cared if there was a one family but to see over 20 people there, and no room for us. The only access to these areas is to cut across the private properties of residents. This is were is becomes a disruption.

Just because you are a nice person and trying to do the right thing does not mean that some people just did not give a damn.
I didn't say some weren't terrible people and didn't care about the others who lived there I said I wasn't disruptive. I didn't do any of those things but just because I went you automatically declared me part of the problem.
Like I said I traveled when the roads were clear so I didn't contribute to the excessive traffic either. I was prepared to stay longer if needed but I didn't need to. I didn't have anything to do with closing your neighbors office at all.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:31 pm It's an eclipse, we've had them before and we'll have them again.
Many people live their entire lives without being withing easy travel distance of an umbra. So it's a bit like viewing Halley's Comet - if you've not seen it before and you miss one chance, it may be decades before you get another.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic