What time would you have served the food?

MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

So yesterday my husband was invited to a military retirement party for the guy who lives next door to my Mom. We have known this couple at least 10 years. So he text my DH last week inviting him saying there will be plenty of beer and BBQ food. Party is 1:00pm -whenever. So I ask my DH if he wants lunch before he goes because he did plan on drinking and says no because he will eat at the party. So we go to my Moms and I just hang with her for the day and he walked next door for the party. This was at 1:30. Well he comes strolling back to my Moms at 4:15. Said he had 4 beers over there. I asked what he ate and he said nothing. They had no food out at all like even chips and he said they did have a BBQ grill going with some sort of meat but it didn't look to be ready anytime soon. So we left to go home and I made dinner. It was so odd to me that him nor the wife had any food set out at all for like hours. So just wondering what time you would have served food at a 1:00 start of a party?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Depends on how long I intended the party to go.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

They should have had some type of foods laid out from the time the party began, even if the main food event....the barbecue...was meant for later in the evening.
just an old coot šŸ˜‰šŸŒµ
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Every bbq Iā€™ve been to there is typically some type of finger food, because BBQing can be finicky. Most of the time food is usually served within the hour or so, IME. Though if this party was going into the night, starting at 1 seems really early to me.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: ā†‘Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:16 am Depends on how long I intended the party to go.
Ok but why would that even matter though? You would have guests at your home and not serve a single snack type food for over 3 hours?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would have had some sort of food out while waiting on the BBQ.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

With a party starting at 1 I'd expect to have to eat before hand. With the 1-whenever time frame I'd expect snacks to be laid out around 3 ish with a meal to come at around 5 or 6. It's weird to not have had any snacks but it could have been that they expected attendees to bring snacks while they provided the main course (also not unheard of) so then most food wouldn't appear until 4:30 or 5ish.....it's just weird without knowing what the details of the invite were. I bet if he'd have gone later and closer to 5 or 6ish that there would have been quite a bit more food.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

At the very least there would be chips, fruit plate and veggies w/dip when people first started arriving
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

At the very least there would be chips, fruit plate and veggies w/dip when people first started arriving
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The 1 hour start is smack in the middle of lunch time on a weekend, IMO. For a bbq invitation, I would've started the grill in the morning with a ready to serve target time no later than 3. ( given the snacks). Like the other ladies said, chips, dips, finger foods would be set out for guests.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic