Who goes to the gym?

MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Just curious, after the heated debates on the other thread, who here is a regular at a gym?

I've been going to gyms and exercise classes most of my adult life. Back in the day I taught aerobics, step classes, jazz-ercize, and circuit training (what they call HITT now.) I've also taken classes in kick boxing, yoga, pilates, zumba, line dancing and karate. I've been a member of over a dozen different gyms through the years and worked at several more.

Currently I belong to the YMCA and a fancier local fitness club, and like to alternate days of swimming, lifting, yoga and movement classes. I aim for at least an hour of activity, 5- 6 days a week, with an outdoor walk or bike ride in the mix during nice weather.

What's your routine?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:06 pm Just curious, after the heated debates on the other thread, who here is a regular at a gym?

I've been going to gyms and exercise classes most of my adult life. Back in the day I taught aerobics, step classes, jazz-ercize, and circuit training (what they call HITT now.) I've also taken classes in kick boxing, yoga, pilates, zumba, line dancing and karate. I've been a member of over a dozen different gyms through the years and worked at several more.

Currently I belong to the YMCA and a fancier local fitness club, and like to alternate days of swimming, lifting, yoga and movement classes. I aim for at least an hour of activity, 5- 6 days a week, with an outdoor walk or bike ride in the mix during nice weather.

What's your routine?
I've gone to gyms all my adult life. The type of gym depended on the country we lived in - sometimes a large public gym (Zimbabwe/Slovenia), other times just using the embassy/marine gym (Uzbekistan/Zambia) and early adulthood using the gym at the facility or military base. In the early 2000s, I was selected to be in an endurance race called "the Great Game" and trained hard for 1 1/2 years only to have it cancelled due to the political situation. I haven't really gotten into pure training since them. In my early 30s, I taught Jazzercise! I've done all the same classes as you but with the addition of spin classes. Dozens of gyms.

Currently, my workout routine has suffered due to my schedule (no excuse, I know). I work out 3-4 mornings at the gym and train with a personal trainer 1 day a week. As time allows, I go to a yoga class about once a week, 5-day yoga festival once a year, and try to practice yoga daily. Some weeks, I'm not so committed but I try to do at least an hour a day, even if that is just a walk or short hike.

My son and daughter are SUPER committed to physical training. My daughter is a runner (I hate it, lol) and my son trains every day (two days a week with a trainer). I appreciate how committed they are and how much they encourage me but sometimes want them to back off! Bottom line is that I'm almost 60 (later this year) and want to ensure that I'm mobile, fit, and feel as good as I can while I age.

Just as an aside, I'm in awe of trending #smalleuropeanwoman and the whole #BM100 but the idea of doing it is just not on my radar, ever.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DH has been a member of our local PF for a good 5 years now. I was going with him for a couple months last year in an effort to get more exercise. Then I severely turned my ankle and couldn't go for a good month and just have been too lazy about getting back to it since then. DH always does treadmill. I did a combo of treadmill and stair machine.

Just to add, DH always changes at home. I would change in the locker room (because I was coming straight from work) but wouldn't shower there. Just changed from my regular clothes to my workout clothes at the beginning. Would go home after to shower.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:31 pm I've gone to gyms all my adult life. The type of gym depended on the country we lived in - sometimes a large public gym (Zimbabwe/Slovenia), other times just using the embassy/marine gym (Uzbekistan/Zambia) and early adulthood using the gym at the facility or military base. In the early 2000s, I was selected to be in an endurance race called "the Great Game" and trained hard for 1 1/2 years only to have it cancelled due to the political situation. I haven't really gotten into pure training since them. In my early 30s, I taught Jazzercise! I've done all the same classes as you but with the addition of spin classes. Dozens of gyms.

Currently, my workout routine has suffered due to my schedule (no excuse, I know). I work out 3-4 mornings at the gym and train with a personal trainer 1 day a week. As time allows, I go to a yoga class about once a week, 5-day yoga festival once a year, and try to practice yoga daily. Some weeks, I'm not so committed but I try to do at least an hour a day, even if that is just a walk or short hike.

My son and daughter are SUPER committed to physical training. My daughter is a runner (I hate it, lol) and my son trains every day (two days a week with a trainer). I appreciate how committed they are and how much they encourage me but sometimes want them to back off! Bottom line is that I'm almost 60 (later this year) and want to ensure that I'm mobile, fit, and feel as good as I can while I age.

Just as an aside, I'm in awe of trending #smalleuropeanwoman and the whole #BM100 but the idea of doing it is just not on my radar, ever.
Spin classes are the one thing I don't do - if I am going to ride a bike I want to see things, be outside, and enjoy the feeling of freedom.

I read a book on aging recently that advocated thinking of your body the same way you think of your finances. You need to invest in your fitness in your 30's, 40's, 50's and so you can enjoy a comfortable healthy life in your 60's and beyond. Long Health Span as opposed to just Long Life Span.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:37 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:31 pm I've gone to gyms all my adult life. The type of gym depended on the country we lived in - sometimes a large public gym (Zimbabwe/Slovenia), other times just using the embassy/marine gym (Uzbekistan/Zambia) and early adulthood using the gym at the facility or military base. In the early 2000s, I was selected to be in an endurance race called "the Great Game" and trained hard for 1 1/2 years only to have it cancelled due to the political situation. I haven't really gotten into pure training since them. In my early 30s, I taught Jazzercise! I've done all the same classes as you but with the addition of spin classes. Dozens of gyms.

Spin classes are the one thing I don't do - if I am going to ride a bike I want to see things, be outside, and enjoy the feeling of freedom.

I read a book on aging recently that advocated thinking of your body the same way you think of your finances. You need to invest in your fitness in your 30's, 40's, 50's and so you can enjoy a comfortable healthy life in your 60's and beyond. Long Health Span as opposed to just Long Life Span.
I used to bike outdoor a lot - clocking in 10s of miles a day - and I loved it. I got into an accident on the road that kind of scared the poop out of me and now will only bike stationary. My mother was never fit. Never overweight but never fit. I've watched the toll it's taken on her health for over 40 years and that's just not where I want to be. Funny enough, she thinks sweating is not lady-like so gets upset when I talk about working out or strength or even mowing the lawn. I'm really happy that I don't have those hangups and that I haven't passed them onto my kids.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I don't go to the gym because I don't want to drive the 30 minutes each way to work out. However I do walk 24,000 steps a day and I'm always carrying feed bags or working on fences or something active at home.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:43 pm I don't go to the gym because I don't want to drive the 30 minutes each way to work out. However I do walk 24,000 steps a day and I'm always carrying feed bags or working on fences or something active at home.
Activity built into your daily life is great! DH is constantly on the move so all he needs is a routine of swimming to keep up his skills for the summer months.

Warm weather here means gardening, swimming, kayaking, paddle boards, biking and hiking. But in the colder months I hit the gym.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My first job was at a gym and in my 20’s I went all the time. Now I have a home gym.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’ve always gone to some extent. When we lived in NYC I went daily because it was so hard to run/bike on the street, too much time waiting to cross streets to get in a good run. And there was an affordable gym around the corner so it was easy. Now we still live in a city, but one with more options for running so I run on the street for my daily workout and take classes at the gym for variety. With six kids and both of us having full time jobs, it just works better in our schedule to take a run in the morning instead of going to the gym daily, but we still go a few times a week. My husband adjunct teaches at a college, so we get free use of their gym and the classes are cheap. My husband is a member of a climbing gym as well. And when we go, we go in, change our clothes, and get out, we aren’t checking out the genitals of everyone around us in the locker room.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:54 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:43 pm I don't go to the gym because I don't want to drive the 30 minutes each way to work out. However I do walk 24,000 steps a day and I'm always carrying feed bags or working on fences or something active at home.
Activity built into your daily life is great! DH is constantly on the move so all he needs is a routine of swimming to keep up his skills for the summer months.

Warm weather here means gardening, swimming, kayaking, paddle boards, biking and hiking. But in the colder months I hit the gym.
I wouldn't mind a home gym but I'm not driving that far nor do I want to workout with other people. I'm too much of an introvert for that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic