Who goes to the gym?

CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I do. My dh goes at 5 in the morning. He is insane for that. My ds does at night after work. I can't keep up with them. I like the treadmill and light weights.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:03 pm I’ve always gone to some extent. When we lived in NYC I went daily because it was so hard to run/bike on the street, too much time waiting to cross streets to get in a good run. And there was an affordable gym around the corner so it was easy. Now we still live in a city, but one with more options for running so I run on the street for my daily workout and take classes at the gym for variety. With six kids and both of us having full time jobs, it just works better in our schedule to take a run in the morning instead of going to the gym daily, but we still go a few times a week. My husband adjunct teaches at a college, so we get free use of their gym and the classes are cheap. My husband is a member of a climbing gym as well. And when we go, we go in, change our clothes, and get out, we aren’t checking out the genitals of everyone around us in the locker room.
That sounds like a really good balance - outdoor runs and indoor classes to mix it up. The body adapts to whatever activity you do regularly, so it is important to challenge it with novelty. I'm not a runner, but I like 3-5 mile walk whenever the weather cooperates. I belong to a hiking meet-up group that goes to the local parks and preserves to walk the trails.

When I was working a corporate job there was a fitness center in the building and I went most days at lunch. Sometimes I'd do a yoga routine with a friend, sometimes the elliptical, sometimes some lifting. Made a huge difference to break up the day of sitting and working at a computer. I was always surprised at how few of the staff used the gym.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We did. Now we just keep the membership for the dry dn steam sauna, pool and hot tub. Some time ago, dh went in the men's steam sauna and someone had defecated on the bench! The sauna was closed for at least 2 days to have it properly cleaned. And in case you're wondering, it is not a high end gym like Equinox or a low end one either. It's middle of the road- Lifetime.
We all do BJJ. At the studio, they offer kickboxing and HIIT classes. I do the HIIT classes swell. The class is only 4 or less people. I get a lot of attention to form and weight progression, 3x a week. In grappling we hit zone 2 for at least 20 minutes. and we do that 3x a week. I walk the dogs 5-6 times a week for at least 4 miles- max 6. They're golden retreivers and need to get their wiggles out daily. On Sundays we ruck for 4 miles. I'm up to a 2o lb plate. Then at the college stadium we drop the rucks and run up/down the stairs. The guys ( dh, ds, and a couple of my dh's buddies) do 100 pushups. I do 50. DH keeps telling me I need to do 1 pushup per year of my age. That's 54 pushups. Nope. I'm good at 50. And by the time I get to I'm nearing failure.
This past year and into this one, we are really getting after it. DH and I read a couple of great books by Dr, Peter Attia (called Outlive) and Matthew Walker ( called Why We Sleep). It greatly influenced us to prioritizeand diversify our physical activity and get quality sleep.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:40 am We did. Now we just keep the membership for the dry dn steam sauna, pool and hot tub. Some time ago, dh went in the men's steam sauna and someone had defecated on the bench! The sauna was closed for at least 2 days to have it properly cleaned. And in case you're wondering, it is not a high end gym like Equinox or a low end one either. It's middle of the road- Lifetime.
We all do BJJ. At the studio, they offer kickboxing and HIIT classes. I do the HIIT classes swell. The class is only 4 or less people. I get a lot of attention to form and weight progression, 3x a week. In grappling we hit zone 2 for at least 20 minutes. and we do that 3x a week. I walk the dogs 5-6 times a week for at least 4 miles- max 6. They're golden retreivers and need to get their wiggles out daily. On Sundays we ruck for 4 miles. I'm up to a 2o lb plate. Then at the college stadium we drop the rucks and run up/down the stairs. The guys ( dh, ds, and a couple of my dh's buddies) do 100 pushups. I do 50. DH keeps telling me I need to do 1 pushup per year of my age. That's 54 pushups. Nope. I'm good at 50. And by the time I get to I'm nearing failure.
This past year and into this one, we are really getting after it. DH and I read a couple of great books by Dr, Peter Attia (called Outlive) and Matthew Walker ( called Why We Sleep). It greatly influenced us to prioritizeand diversify our physical activity and get quality sleep.
Impressive training! I frequently walk with my back pack when I am taking public transit, and I can really feel the difference in the challenge with that extra weight.

I've read "Outlive" - many good ideas there. Also liked "Young Forever" by Mark Hyman.

Used to keep up with push ups and floor planks, but after surgery on both wrists (carpel tunnel) I don't do that anymore. Now I use the TRX Suspension Bands at the gym, and do "reverse push ups" by leaning back in a plank position and pulling myself forward.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Love it! The TRX is a great workout. Your rhomboids and lats must be jacked - not to mention your grip strength!. Rucking is great for building up your traps, back and core , not to mention lower body muscles. The best part is that you don’t need to run to get the benefits. I’m not a runner, so the stadium stairs is grueling for me.
MonarchMom wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:10 am
cgd5112 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:40 am We did. Now we just keep the membership for the dry dn steam sauna, pool and hot tub. Some time ago, dh went in the men's steam sauna and someone had defecated on the bench! The sauna was closed for at least 2 days to have it properly cleaned. And in case you're wondering, it is not a high end gym like Equinox or a low end one either. It's middle of the road- Lifetime.
Impressive training! I frequently walk with my back pack when I am taking public transit, and I can really feel the difference in the challenge with that extra weight.

I've read "Outlive" - many good ideas there. Also liked "Young Forever" by Mark Hyman.

Used to keep up with push ups and floor planks, but after surgery on both wrists (carpel tunnel) I don't do that anymore. Now I use the TRX Suspension Bands at the gym, and do "reverse push ups" by leaning back in a plank position and pulling myself forward.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No, I’ve never been a member of a gym in my life. I’ve always lived in rural areas where access to a gym was limited or just not feasible. As a kid, it wasn’t a big deal. We were always outside either playing a sport, climbing trees (at least I climbed trees), and walked/biked everywhere. As an adult, staying active is harder. Late effects of chemo and radiation as a teen has made life not so easy the last 10 years or so. I found stretches and simple exercises that help with different areas of pain that I have, and I’m currently helping my kids practice softball/baseball.

DH has a membership at Planet Fitness. Before his surgery, he either went between 4-5 several days a week or in the afternoon directly after school. I don’t know exactly what his routine is, but I know he did some cardio as well as weight training.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:55 am Love it! The TRX is a great workout. Your rhomboids and lats must be jacked - not to mention your grip strength!. Rucking is great for building up your traps, back and core , not to mention lower body muscles. The best part is that you don’t need to run to get the benefits. I’m not a runner, so the stadium stairs is grueling for me.
MonarchMom wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:10 am

haha - at this age I'm not exactly "jacked" but I can keep up on higher altitude hikes, paddle myself where I want to go, and walk 8+ miles with my backpack sightseeing. Good enough for me!
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Not a gym goer.

I do wake up with YouTube stretching yoga.

I walk and jog outside most days if the temp and windchill is above 40 degrees F — until I have 15000 steps.

I play about 10-15 minutes of Just Dance prompts Monday through Thursdays.

And I try to stand for at least an hour mid-day while working. And use my little cuubi elliptical desk trainer about every 25 minutes for a bit.

I need to start some weights for strength training. But I hate it. Like I really do not like weights.i hate the burning fatigue. I hate the closed in area. I hate not going anywhere, like when you get to walk. It feels boring, suffocating and painful, but I know muscle mass is so critical to healthy aging, but ugh, I just struggle!!
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:57 am Not a gym goer.

I do wake up with YouTube stretching yoga.

I walk and jog outside most days if the temp and windchill is above 40 degrees F — until I have 15000 steps.

I play about 10-15 minutes of Just Dance prompts Monday through Thursdays.

And I try to stand for at least an hour mid-day while working. And use my little cuubi elliptical desk trainer about every 25 minutes for a bit.

I need to start some weights for strength training. But I hate it. Like I really do not like weights.i hate the burning fatigue. I hate the closed in area. I hate not going anywhere, like when you get to walk. It feels boring, suffocating and painful, but I know muscle mass is so critical to healthy aging, but ugh, I just struggle!!
I love walking outside. I see quite a few people on my regular route that use resistance bands or TRX cables to add some muscle building into their hike. Some wrap them around a fence post or guard rail, or stop at an outdoor playground and use the structures there. Playgrounds can also be used to do tricep dips, pull-ups, etc. Weight training doesn't have to mean being indoors, or boring. You just need to push beyond your usual weight-bearing routines.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I haven't seen the other post and haven't been on in a while. I do MWF morning and Tuesday/Thursday afternoons. In the mornings, I do 2-3 miles on the treadmill or a spin class. In the afternoons, I do 1-2 miles and lift weights. I usually go one day on the weekends and will do either spin, yoga, or treadmill.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic