Elon Musk Predicts A 'Universal High Income' As Jobs Are Phased Out And Employment Becomes Obsolete — It'll Be 'Somewhat

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"Elon Musk made some striking predictions about the impact of artificial intelligence (AI) on jobs and income at the inaugural AI Safety Summit in the U.K. in November.

The serial entrepreneur and CEO painted a utopian vision where AI renders traditional employment obsolete but provides an “age of abundance” through a system of “universal high income.”

“It’s hard to say exactly what that moment is, but there will come a point where no job is needed,” Musk told U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak. “You can have a job if you want to have a job or sort of personal satisfaction, but the AI will be able to do everything.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-mus ... 15532.html
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Elon Musk might want to check out the game Detroit Becoming human. It didn't exactly work out that way in that story.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree with Musk. Now I need to go shower.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:23 pm I agree with Musk. Now I need to go shower.
LOL!
306/232

SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Luxury-techno-communism. It's this or nothing.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:59 am Luxury-techno-communism. It's this or nothing.
I thought of you when I read it 🤗
306/232

SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Way back in the golden days of Ancient Greece, Socrates was asked to describe the best possible city, where people could live the best, most fulfilling lives. Socrates described a city of leisure and industry where people could become experts in their crafts and enjoy the relishes of trade. Most notably, he said the citizens would form a democratic league of Guardians to rule and protect the city, and in this league women would be equal to men, and all property and wealth would be held in common, for the good of each and all.

Later, his student Plato decided to codify a civic system in his work Laws. Plato's Laws is so influential, it's pretty much the blueprint for what would become western civilization and democracy today. However, by this time Plato decided that humans were not capable of living in the best city, holding property in common, or having women as equals. So, in Laws he describes the second-best city, where only men with sufficient property would be voting citizens and everyone else was essentially their servants. And that is the city we have been living in ever since. Only in the last hundred years did we even think to extend full citizenship to women.

The point is, we have known since ancient times that humans should live in fundamental equality. But, it wasn't possible. When asked, "But Socrates, in the best city, who will till the fields?" the old man answered, "The slaves, of course." We had to have a servile class as long as there was hand-agriculture.

But now, and I mean very soon, we truly will have no need of any servile class. All toil will be better done by our marvelous machines. So, at last, we can live in the best city, where all can be equals and all share in the prosperity of the whole, for the good of each and all. Truly, property and material wealth should mean less than nothing in this world, where anyone can have anything with the touch of a button. Every person will be completely free to pursue interests, become good at what they enjoy, create and nurture fulfilling relationships, and live in a beautiful environment, with no concern of material want.

We just have to decide...was Plato right? Are humans incapable of living in the best city, of sharing wealth and power? Are we stuck in the second-best city forever?

I hope we can choose better, because if we don't, we will destroy the machines and each other before we can ever see what's possible. And we may not get another chance.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Musk is full of it. And seriously? No one is watching the Terminator movies?
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Or the Matrix, or Bladerunner, or I, Robot … There are plenty of movies with a cautionary message.
EarlGrayHot wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:27 pm Musk is full of it. And seriously? No one is watching the Terminator movies?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:09 pm Or the Matrix, or Bladerunner, or I, Robot … There are plenty of movies with a cautionary message.
EarlGrayHot wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:27 pm Musk is full of it. And seriously? No one is watching the Terminator movies?
All based on fiction and imagination. Religious literature has many cautionary messages too.
306/232

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic