Nebraska governor approves regulations to allow gender-affirming care for minors

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I have no problem with therapy before making such a huge decision like this. However what makes me wary is the TYPE of therapy they’ll be giving.

Will it be the same kind of “therapy” women go through when they go to crisis pregnancy centers and get shamed/harassed into keeping the baby?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:37 am I have no problem with therapy before making such a huge decision like this. However what makes me wary is the TYPE of therapy they’ll be giving.

Will it be the same kind of “therapy” women go through when they go to crisis pregnancy centers and get shamed/harassed into keeping the baby?
The type, yes. I wonder what kinds of "therapy that could push back" they mean.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:00 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:36 pm
They include undergoing at least 40 hours of therapy that could push back on a person’s gender identity before they can receive any medical treatments meant to affirm their gender identities.
That's awful.
You have to do more hours of practice driving with a parent to get a driver’s license…

40 hours of therapy is less than an hour a week for a year…

I’ll even go farther than the transgender issue…
Kids should have to have that many hours of therapy before they get add/adhd meds too…
When you get a driver's license you are able to operate a potentially dangerous vehicle on public roads, and harm passengers or other people. None of this is true when someone selects gender affirming care. It affects only themselves.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:54 am

That's awful.
You have to do more hours of practice driving with a parent to get a driver’s license…

Kids should have to have that many hours of therapy before they get add/adhd meds too…
When you get a driver's license you are able to operate a potentially dangerous vehicle on public roads, and harm passengers or other people. None of this is true when someone selects gender affirming care. It affects only themselves.
It affects them, yes…

It affects them in a HUGE and life changing way during a time in their lives where their body is already changing in huge and life changing ways on its own.…

Talking through what emotions and feelings are causing that want for a change should never be looked at as a bad thing…

Therapy is not bad. At all.

Women who want breast implants should go to therapy first, children who want Ritalin should go to therapy first, children wanting to change genders should go to therapy first…
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:02 am

It affects them, yes…

It affects them in a HUGE and life changing way during a time in their lives where their body is already changing in huge and life changing ways on its own.…

Talking through what emotions and feelings are causing that want for a change should never be looked at as a bad thing…

Women who want breast implants should go to therapy first, children who want Ritalin should go to therapy first, children wanting to change genders should go to therapy first…
Not arguing with the need for counseling. But I don't support 40 hours mandated by the state, as opposed to a standard of screening and counseling based on research consensus and done by professionals in the field.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:12 am
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:02 am

It affects them, yes…

Not arguing with the need for counseling. But I don't support 40 hours mandated by the state, as opposed to a standard of screening and counseling based on research consensus and done by professionals in the field.
I think this should be seen as normal and needed by the medical community as well.

Regardless of how little consideration most people think the decision is, in reality it’s huge and has a huge impact on the child as a whole.

An hour a week for less than a year before starting gender transition is actually pretty important when accessing the true reasons behind the child’s want for that kind of change.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Mental health help is very important. This is a good thing.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

They include undergoing at least 40 hours of therapy that could push back on a person’s gender identity before they can receive any medical treatments meant to affirm their gender identities.
That's awful.

I think therapy is important for a lot of youth but I'm curious on why you think it should be required before getting ADHD meds? I think therapy and medication should go hand and hand with mental health issues like depression but ADHD meds help with focus. It affects learning and development.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

What other condition do we require people to spend a significant amount of time getting an opposing opinion for before we treat them? Gender dysphoria is a clinical condition diagnosed with valid and reliable testing. It already requires a duration of six months before it can be diagnosed. The appropriate treatment is gender-affirming care, and making someone wait longer for it puts their literal life at risk. Gender-affirming treatment comes with lots of people involved, including PCP, endocrinologists, therapists, and family. They know better than the state ever will.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:20 pm

That's awful.

I think therapy is important for a lot of youth but I'm curious on why you think it should be required before getting ADHD meds? I think therapy and medication should go hand and hand with mental health issues like depression but ADHD meds help with focus. It affects learning and development.
Because taking steps to alter your brain chemistry isn’t something that should be taken lightly.
It comes with side effects, possible life long chemical changes, huge risk for medication abuse that can lead to death…

It shouldn’t be seen as run of the mill… it should be utilized only after cognitive behavioral therapy methods have been exhausted.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic