Oscars anyone?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

If you hate the Oscars, Hollywood stars, movies or award shows - no need to reply.

I'd like to hear from those who have seen some of the nominated performances, and which they think should win.

I've seen Oppenheimer, The Color Purple, The Holdovers, American Fiction, Killers of the Flower Moon, Nyad and Maestro.

I think Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon are equally deserving, though very different movies. The Color Purple was fantastic but not everyone's type of film. It should have gotten a nomination for set design and costumes and for the score.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I watched and really enjoyed it but I have to admit, I haven't seen a movie in about 10 years! I used to love film and purposefully watched all Oscar nominated films but I fell off that wagon when life got in the way. My daughter studied film as a side hustle in high school and college and she too has fallen off the wagon. Watching the Oscars reminded both of us that we need to get back on the film train!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:07 pm I watched and really enjoyed it but I have to admit, I haven't seen a movie in about 10 years! I used to love film and purposefully watched all Oscar nominated films but I fell off that wagon when life got in the way. My daughter studied film as a side hustle in high school and college and she too has fallen off the wagon. Watching the Oscars reminded both of us that we need to get back on the film train!
You don't watch movies at home on streaming services? I see most that way, but this past winter I started venturing back into theaters again.

I like to see just about all art forms that people are passionate about and fine tune their craft. Film, dance, stage plays, painting, music. I enjoy being immersed in the emotional and sensory experience the artist has created.

Some films, like The Color Purple, Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon, are a completely different experience on a big screen. Others, like The Holdovers, can be appreciated more for the plot and dialogue, and streaming at home is fine with me. Really sorry I didn't get to see Barbie on the big screen, but will have to settle for steaming.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:15 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:07 pm I watched and really enjoyed it but I have to admit, I haven't seen a movie in about 10 years! I used to love film and purposefully watched all Oscar nominated films but I fell off that wagon when life got in the way. My daughter studied film as a side hustle in high school and college and she too has fallen off the wagon. Watching the Oscars reminded both of us that we need to get back on the film train!
You don't watch movies at home on streaming services? I see most that way, but this past winter I started venturing back into theaters again.

I like to see just about all art forms that people are passionate about and fine tune their craft. Film, dance, stage plays, painting, music. I enjoy being immersed in the emotional and sensory experience the artist has created.

Some films, like The Color Purple, Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon, are a completely different experience on a big screen. Others, like The Holdovers, can be appreciated more for the plot and dialogue, and streaming at home is fine with me. Really sorry I didn't get to see Barbie on the big screen, but will have to settle for steaming.
I've always loved the creative process of film. Last 10 years I've been having issues (anxiety and depression) which makes my film choices really limited (no drama, no violence, etc.). I'm working through so hope to re-engage with film. 2014 was when my life kinda went off the rails and that was the year I stopped watching films. I also stopped reading fiction so there's that!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:28 pm

I've always loved the creative process of film. Last 10 years I've been having issues (anxiety and depression) which makes my film choices really limited (no drama, no violence, etc.). I'm working through so hope to re-engage with film. 2014 was when my life kinda went off the rails and that was the year I stopped watching films. I also stopped reading fiction so there's that!
Totally understandable. When each of my parents died a two year period followed when I couldn't read novels. Just couldn't care about fictional people, and didn't want any more pain and suffering in my thoughts. I gradually returned to reading by selecting only books I had already read, knew I liked and were worth the time, and had no surprise suffering.

You are right, it is a long process to re-engage with the stories of others when your own life claims all your emotional bandwidth.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:33 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:28 pm

Totally understandable. When each of my parents died a two year period followed when I couldn't read novels. Just couldn't care about fictional people, and didn't want any more pain and suffering in my thoughts. I gradually returned to reading by selecting only books I had already read, knew I liked and were worth the time, and had no surprise suffering.

You are right, it is a long process to re-engage with the stories of others when your own life claims all your emotional bandwidth.
Thank you for sharing and understanding.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic