Do you see any validity in this woman’s poem? Or is she missing the mark on how to be inclusive?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

"Breeder" is already a slur, I don't think it will become normalized, but I haven't heard anybody trying to normalize it anyway. The new terms I have heard suggested are "pregnant person" and "lactating person" and I think those could be appropriate for describing groups which might include trans men. I don't think it "redefines woman" any more than same-S*x marriage "redefined marriage" to any detriment. I think people will get used to it.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Some of the language quoted in the meme was language that was adapted to be more inclusive specifically for the transgender community. The un-intentional consequence is that some of that language can hinder advances specifically in reproductive healthcare. Perhaps we should revisit some of that language.

A woman finding it offensive to the point that she would no longer consider herself an ally to the transgender community is a pretty big indication that she was never an ally but was just searching for justification.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:10 pm Some of the language quoted in the meme was language that was adapted to be more inclusive specifically for the transgender community. The un-intentional consequence is that some of that language can hinder advances specifically in reproductive healthcare. Perhaps we should revisit some of that language.

A woman finding it offensive to the point that she would no longer consider herself an ally to the transgender community is a pretty big indication that she was never an ally but was just searching for justification.
I think I would agree with your response here.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:08 pm "Breeder" is already a slur, I don't think it will become normalized, but I haven't heard anybody trying to normalize it anyway. The new terms I have heard suggested are "pregnant person" and "lactating person" and I think those could be appropriate for describing groups which might include trans men. I don't think it "redefines woman" any more than same-S*x marriage "redefined marriage" to any detriment. I think people will get used to it.
Do you think this could be true?

“Removing references to the S*x of mothers could also reduce visibility of women in medical research and potentially threaten their autonomy”
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

When I was a kid there was a riddle that made the rounds. A boy and his father are in a terrible car crash, and the father is killed. The boy is rushed to the hospital, wheeled in for emergency surgery, but upon seeing the patient, the surgeon says, "I cannot operate on this boy; he is my son." How can that be?

Today it's hard to believe this was a stumper, but you should have heard the guesses back then. "It was the boy's step-father! It was his godfather! The man who died wasn't his real dad! The surgeon was his uncle, and the boy looked like his cousin!" Many people just did not think of the obvious solution because it was so far out of public consciousness to imagine. Yet, look at how far we have come. Such a riddle makes no sense at all today.

This poem strikes me kind of the same - in the future people will puzzle that it was ever a stumper to figure this out.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:22 pm
SallyMae wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:08 pm "Breeder" is already a slur, I don't think it will become normalized, but I haven't heard anybody trying to normalize it anyway. The new terms I have heard suggested are "pregnant person" and "lactating person" and I think those could be appropriate for describing groups which might include trans men. I don't think it "redefines woman" any more than same-S*x marriage "redefined marriage" to any detriment. I think people will get used to it.

“Removing references to the S*x of mothers could also reduce visibility of women in medical research and potentially threaten their autonomy”
I'm not even sure what it refers to. Can you give an example?
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:35 pm

https://thehill.com/changing-america/re ... -like/amp/
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:40 pm
SallyMae wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:35 pm

https://thehill.com/changing-america/re ... -like/amp/
This is the same article you already provided. I don't see any examples of how this language is actually "reducing the visibility of women in medical research" or actually threatening anyone's "autonomy." In what way? It mainly seems to be conjecture, and Ann Romney taking personal offense.

I'd have to see what the actual problems are before I could tell you if they are more serious and threatening to society than the lack of progress on equality for trans people.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:15 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:10 pm I see a point, and the point I see is to create hostility toward transgender people.
Do you think there’s any validity behind women not wanting to be defined by words like “chestfeeders, birthing units, or breeders”?
It’s fine to say that you don’t want to be called that. If she left it at that, whatever. But she chose to go on and say that she would not respect their pronouns, told them to go back to their “male space” and that is where it becomes transphobic trying to hide under the guise of feminist. What rights are being obliterated?
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:15 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:10 pm I see a point, and the point I see is to create hostility toward transgender people.
Do you think there’s any validity behind women not wanting to be defined by words like “cheastfeeders, birthing units, or breeders”?
The only one of those terms I've heard actually used in real conversation on in writing by those who support in inclusion is chestfeeder. And as a person who nursed 4 children I don't want to be a breastfeeder or a chestfeeder. I breastfed or nursed my children and how I fed them shouldn't be used as descriptor. "pregnant person" is what is generally used if you want to be gender inclusive as well as not define a person by a physiological action or ability.

A woman who has a penis doesn't belittle or make less my existence as a female any more than a man that has a vagina would do the same thing to a cisgender man. Women always talk about girl power, female empowerment and raising each other up. Telling a woman to go back to her "male space" is the opposite of all of that. How about listening to her insecurities, helping her do the "female" things she wasn't taught as a child and treating her like a human who deserves dignity and respect? It costs you NOTHING to use the pronouns a person prefers and very little to listen to or read the term chestfeeding in conversation or literature. Technically, chestfeeding is as correct as breastfeeding. Mammory feeding would be a great term as well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic