I just don't understand this (non-binary)

Anonymous 1

Unread post

The weekly newsletter for my DD'd school just came in email. They are having an enrichment opportunity for girls and non-binary ONLY. No boys.They will be talking about women's issues, offering activities etc. Great! But if a person is non-binary why would they go to a woman's only meeting if they don't identify as a woman??? This is a coed high school for context. I'll paste the exact blurb from the new letter:

Duke’s Lead WISER
conference invites girls and
non-binary individuals to hear
from several prominent
female voices on campus and
participate in activities that
will promote women’s
empowerment, offering these
girls important skills to be
successful in high school,
college, and beyond. The
event is March 30th. For more
information, click here.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:52 pm The weekly newsletter for my DD'd school just came in email. They are having an enrichment opportunity for girls and non-binary ONLY. No boys.They will be talking about women's issues, offering activities etc. Great! But if a person is non-binary why would they go to a woman's only meeting if they don't identify as a woman??? This is a coed high school for context. I'll paste the exact blurb from the new letter:

Duke’s Lead WISER
conference invites girls and
non-binary individuals to hear
from several prominent
female voices on campus and
participate in activities that
will promote women’s
empowerment, offering these
girls important skills to be
successful in high school,
college, and beyond. The
event is March 30th. For more
information, click here.
Some non-binary people identify as neither male or female, some identify as both, and some identify as one or the other depending on time.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Sounds to me like they are just trying to be inclusive of both groups of students. Non-binary people may still present to others as female. It is more a form of self-identification.

Some of the issues may be shared by both groups. Things like sexual harassment, safety, entering a field where women and non-binary people are under represented, etc.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:07 pm Sounds to me like they are just trying to be inclusive of both groups of students. Non-binary people may still present to others as female. It is more a form of self-identification.

Some of the issues may be shared by both groups. Things like sexual harassment, safety, entering a field where women and non-binary people are under represented, etc.
This is what I was thinking, and you always save me the trouble with your crisp explanations.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:16 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:07 pm Sounds to me like they are just trying to be inclusive of both groups of students. Non-binary people may still present to others as female. It is more a form of self-identification.

This is what I was thinking, and you always save me the trouble with your crisp explanations.
HaHa - my DH has a different take on my explanations!
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Many non-binary people still live in bodies that others would label as female, so issues that affect women still affect them, even if they don’t identify as female. They want to be inclusive of their student body. As an example, if you look up the artist G Flip, they are non-binary and use the pronouns they/them, but if you saw them walking down the streets you might see characteristics about them that you would identify as female, so there are women’s issues that still effect their life. We have a family friend who is non-binary, but they still have to go for their yearly Pap smear, so legal issues surrounding reproductive rights still effect them even if they don’t identify as a woman.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

OP, how does your daughter feel about this? Does she want to attend?
just an old coot 😉🌵
Anonymous 1

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:03 pm OP, how does your daughter feel about this? Does she want to attend?
I did not ask her but I doubt she's interested. She goes to a very diverse boarding school in every way so it's not that I'm surprised they are offering this class. It just seemed odd to me to offer a class for women only but also include non binary. Doesn't make sense to me but I'll accept the answers given by the other ladies in this post.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

They are kicking boys out of the club, so if you’re cool enough to be on the girls team, you can come in.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:07 am They are kicking boys out of the club, so if you’re cool enough to be on the girls team, you can come in.
No, the boys get to watch Why Study Industrial Arts, lol.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic