Donald Trump's Losing White Evangelicals to Joe Biden

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:39 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:34 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:16 pm

Oh good, thank you for that.

It would be interesting to find out if they distinguished southern evangelicals from coastal evangelicals.
Why would they distinguish between southern and coastal evangelicals?
Because they’re very different…

A Presbyterian in West Hollywood is typically going to have diametrically different views to a Baptist in Alabama.
Religiously or politically?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

It would be interesting to find out if they distinguished southern evangelicals from coastal evangelicals.

A Presbyterian in West Hollywood is typically going to have diametrically different views to a Baptist in Alabama.
That’s denominational not geography.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

mommy_jules wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:05 pm

They are both evangelical, and the white ones would be labeled as all “ White evangelicals “
Geography plays a role in culture. Presbyterians in Arkansas do not vote as a group the same way Presbyterians in Los Angeles typically vote.

So the question remains for me…
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:00 pm

Religiously or politically?
Both
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:59 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:52 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:41 pm

I did! It is a term used to describe 19th century anthropologists who used writings to study rather than collecting data, interviewing subjects, and analyzing that data that is done when studying culture or social groups today (as Monarch Mom suggested).

I can't find anything that suggests that an Anthropologist has to actually be a member of a group or culture in order to study it because that would be kind of silly.
I never said they should have to be a member to study it…
Can be free to study but not become experts

But as far as the article posted, can we safely assume that they are members, have studied it, and can be defined as experts. Like I said, easy to google their bona fides, lol.
As far as the article posted, this is a spin off now because they were shown to be members…

But do you think someone who did not come from a specific culture should be labeled an expert on that culture, with their opinion being heard louder than the members of that culture?
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:08 pm

They are both evangelical, and the white ones would be labeled as all “ White evangelicals “
Geography plays a role in culture.

How does geography play a role? And no, Presbyterian does not equal evangelical. PC(USA) the largest Presbyterian denomination is not evangelical. It is mainline Protestant. PCA is an evangelical denomination and is much more conservative than the PC(USA), so someone who attends a PCA church in West Hollywood will likely have more in common with a SBC (Baptist) church goer in Alabama, especially if that SBC church goer is Calvinist or Reformed. Geography isn’t that important.
Della
Princess
Princess

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:54 am
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:37 am

I wonder how many out of those four writers are evangelical.
It's pretty easy to google, lol.
Lerone Martin is a Black Evangelical and is an associate professor of religious studies at Stanford
Laura Gifford holds a PhD in American History and is a Deacon in the Evangelical Lutheran Church
John Fea "is a Distinguished Professor of History at Messiah College in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania. A scholar of early American history and American religious history, he is the author of several books..." and is Evangelical
R Marie Griffith is a professor at Washington University in St. Louis - "Professor Griffith writes extensively on religion and politics, including topics on evangelical women. She is ​a frequent media commentator and public speaker on current issues, including the changing profile of American evangelicals and ongoing conflicts over gender, sexuality and marriage." She grew up as a Southern Baptist and was previously a professor at Harvard school of Divinity.

Which coast?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

mommy_jules wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:24 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:08 pm

Geography plays a role in culture.

How does geography play a role? And no, Presbyterian does not equal evangelical. PC(USA) the largest Presbyterian denomination is not evangelical. It is mainline Protestant. PCA is an evangelical denomination and is much more conservative than the PC(USA), so someone who attends a PCA church in West Hollywood will likely have more in common with a SBC (Baptist) church goer in Alabama, especially if that SBC church goer is Calvinist or Reformed. Geography isn’t that important.
PCUSA is evangelical.
PCA is evangelical.
And obviously the Evangelical Presbyterian Church is evangelical.

https://www.pcusa.org/news/2012/3/7/you ... -are-they/

Geography is one of the biggest influences on culture there is. In the United States it has a huge impact on occupations, societal roles, food, and education level, all of which influence religious and political beliefs.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:16 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:52 pm

I never said they should have to be a member to study it…

But as far as the article posted, can we safely assume that they are members, have studied it, and can be defined as experts. Like I said, easy to google their bona fides, lol.
As far as the article posted, this is a spin off now because they were shown to be members…

But do you think someone who did not come from a specific culture should be labeled an expert on that culture, with their opinion being heard louder than the members of that culture?
What good would it do to silo the study of every cultural group so that the only people who can be considered experts must be members of said groups. That doesn't seem beneficial for placing cultures in context with each other, armchair or otherwise. I would hope anthropologists would care about that.

If you don't like what they said, you could have just said that.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:13 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:16 pm

What good would it do to silo the study of every cultural group so that the only people who can be considered experts must be members of said groups. That doesn't seem beneficial for placing cultures in context with each other, armchair or otherwise. I would hope anthropologists would care about that.

If you don't like what they said, you could have just said that.
I didn’t ask the question based on disliking what they said…

Anthropologists are taught cultural humility. You can be a lifelong learner and researcher on a different culture and write books about your experiences/findings, but you should never be considered so much of an expert on the subject that your voice is louder than the members of that culture.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic